Author Topic: General Purpose Video Game Thread  (Read 84934 times)

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
Re: General Purpose Video Game Thread
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2009, 04:04:59 PM »
Crysis 2 coming to PC, 360, & PS3.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2009, 04:14:46 PM »
I still haven't played the first one. Wait I haven't finished Far Cry yet either.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2009, 04:45:36 PM »
Star Wars: The Old Republic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sainKIZ8vI

Win.
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2009, 04:59:57 PM »

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2009, 05:18:31 PM »
Super Win 3D to the Max.

This might actually prompt me to buy a PC. Or keep my fingers crossed that it comes to the 360.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2009, 01:09:29 AM »
Holy fuck. Why was that four minute video more awesome than the prequels?

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2009, 02:29:52 AM »
Holy fuck. Why was that four minute video more awesome than the prequels?

Because Lucas had almost nothing to do with it.

Offline BorgMan

• Global Moderator
  • Artistic Assimilator
    • View Profile
    • Visionm.nl
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2009, 03:09:33 PM »
Oh my god. That was pure win...
*Doorbell Sound*

"Hi, I am Elder 14 of 37 and this is my traveling companion Sister 29 of 128. We represent the Borg..."
"Oh Roddenbery, you guys again? Look, it's 8 in the morning and I don't have time for you OK? I told you last week..."
"But... Assimilation... Holopamflet!"
"Yeah right, you can leave it here but I'll throw it on the rest of the bunch I got from your other 'brothers' and 'sisters'. Now scram before I call the 8472 Squad!"

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2009, 03:28:14 PM »
Sony and Nintendo held their press conferences today.  Nintendo was utterly boring, with not a single game that looked interesting and certainly none that would convince me to run out and buy a Wii or whatever their new handheld is called.

Sony had some interesting prospects, but their presentation dragged on for so long that I've forgotten what they were.  Oh yeah, MAG....that's the only one that I recall that really had my attention.  I know the big deal this year is supposed to be God of War III, but I've never played any of the previous incarnations and I've don't really see the appeal.

Am I the only one that gets annoyed by these presentations and the need for developers to waste time talking about how many units they've sold or how much profit they've made and how they've exceeded market expectations?  I really don't care.  Show the trailers, show the demos....cut to the frakking chase and give us what people are actually there to see...and on top of that, get someone to speak for your company that can actually engage a crowd with a dynamic presentation, rather then some CEO who sounds like he's reading off a prompter and has never played a game in his life.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2009, 03:52:10 PM »
Nintendo's are always boring as hell.

No matter what the conference is, PAX, TGS, whatever, Nintendo always manages to put me to sleep.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2009, 12:38:18 AM »
Here is the promo video fro Project Natal, the motion sensing interactive capability that will be coming to the 360.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkSV1rXJ0pU

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2009, 12:58:26 AM »
I like some of the features they showed there. But the playing of games looked gayer then the Wii.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2009, 01:51:02 AM »
I don't like that the games, at least what they showed, didn't seem to have much better graphics then the Avatars...which just makes it seem even more like the Wii.

I think they could do some cool stuff with it.  Imagine them making some sort of stealth game where you actually have to be quiet while playing the game and if you speak or make some sort of noise, the character makes a similar noise in the game.

So, it's got lots of potential, the fact that it doesn't need a wand or some other peripheral already puts it ahead of the Wii, it just depends on what developers can do with it.

ETA:  RTS games, if you could use hand gestures to control and select units might be interesting...

In other news:
http://kotaku.com/5276471/perfect-dark-coming-to-xbla-this-winter

Perfect Dark is coming to XBLA this winter.  Win, I love this game; along with Golden Eye still rank as two of my favorite shooters on a console ever.  Now if they can just get Golden Eye.

And for you Metal Gear fans: http://kotaku.com/5276018/metal-gear-solid-peace-walker-walks-to-psp-in-2010
Hideo Kojima made a guess appearance at Sony's 2009 E3 press conference to announce Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker for the PlayStation Portable.

Peace Walker takes place 10 years after Metal Gear Solid 3, chronicling the rise of Outer Heaven in Costa Rico. The game is not a side story or spin-off, but a full game written and produced by Kojima himself. The game seems to star Solid Snake, though at one point there were four different versions of Snake on the screen, including a rather disturbing scene featuring 2 Snakes, 1 Box. The trailer featured a great deal of classic Snake sneaking about, so expect this to be more tranditional that say, Guns of the Patriots.

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker is due out in 2010. We'll have more info later in the show!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 02:00:10 AM by Jimi James »

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2009, 06:09:27 PM »
Well, Konami is making another 3D Castlevania game for the PS3 and Xbox 360, this time with Hideo Kojima (the guy who produced the Metal Gear Solid games...) working on it.  Not only that listen to the trailer and you'll hear Patrick Stewart doing it, and if the names they flash on the screen are any indication, he'll be voice acting in the game.  And apparently it isn't really connected to the other Castlevania games.  I have to say that this has one of the best trailers of any Castlevainia game I've ever seen, hopefully the game will be good too...
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2009, 02:23:58 AM »
I picked up Ghostbusters. Damn fun game.

If you're a Ghostbusters fan, like both Razor and I are, then I say buy it. It's full of neat little references. If you're not a Ghostbusters fan, atleast rent it. It's fun to use the partical stream to beat up a ghost, or to hose down a possesed person with some mood slime.

It's a great 8 hours.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2009, 11:44:52 PM »
What the hell is wrong with people in WoW?

A couple months ago, I created Death Knight. My guild had a lack of proper tanks. Once I got my DK to 80, I speced him as a Blood Tank (for questing. I'm going to respec him for PVP later), and Unholy DPS/Tank ( I'm just playing around with different DPS/Tank specs, for Heroics).

Now I can't go a fucking day without 3 dozen people asking me to run them through dungeons, to help them with quests, or asking for money.

Last night, I was in the middle of doing Utgarde Keep, with a couple of Guild mates, when some random player asked me to run them through Nexus. I don't know how they found me. They weren't on my friends list, nor where they in my guild.

One guy yelled at me, because I dropped my Death Gate in the middle of the street, and he was upset because it was blocking his path. The guy must have been eating lead paint, you can walk right through any portal, person, pet, or mob.

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2009, 11:55:46 PM »
What the hell is wrong with people in WoW?

A couple months ago, I created Death Knight. My guild had a lack of proper tanks. Once I got my DK to 80, I speced him as a Blood Tank (for questing. I'm going to respec him for PVP later), and Unholy DPS/Tank ( I'm just playing around with different DPS/Tank specs, for Heroics).

Now I can't go a fucking day without 3 dozen people asking me to run them through dungeons, to help them with quests, or asking for money.

Last night, I was in the middle of doing Utgarde Keep, with a couple of Guild mates, when some random player asked me to run them through Nexus. I don't know how they found me. They weren't on my friends list, nor where they in my guild.

One guy yelled at me, because I dropped my Death Gate in the middle of the street, and he was upset because it was blocking his path. The guy must have been eating lead paint, you can walk right through any portal, person, pet, or mob.

There's a strange phenomenon called "mental retardation".

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2009, 12:16:11 AM »
It seems a large number of them have found their way onto WoW. Apparently PSN, and Xbox Live, wasn't good enough for them, and they branched out.

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2009, 12:30:47 AM »
I don't know why you're surprised. That's not exactly new behaviour for WoW.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2009, 12:40:31 AM »
I've only been playing 3 1/2 months. It started when I hit 80, about a month ago. But it's gotten really bad the past couple of weeks.

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2009, 01:26:33 AM »
Everyone believes that 80s have nothing but time on their hands, and can bless the lowbies with experience if they so choose.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Manticore

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2009, 02:09:51 AM »
So Xero, can you run my 61 DK through Ramps? ;D

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2009, 02:38:09 AM »
What, no one wants to pug with you? I don't blame them  :P

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2009, 03:07:14 AM »
See, this is all solved pretty simply. When someone bugs you you ask "Are you in my guild?" If they says no, tell them "Then fuck off you cunt". If they say yes, then tell them you're in the middle of something and log in an alt. :D

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2009, 03:45:02 AM »
I was talking to a fellow guild member an hour ago. What he does is say something in french. He says it works, and is fun.

I'm going to make a couple of French macros.