Author Topic: General Purpose Video Game Thread  (Read 84941 times)

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
Re: General Purpose Video Game Thread
« Reply #575 on: August 24, 2013, 01:59:23 PM »
Anyone else playing Splinter Cell Blacklist these days?
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: September 03, 2013, 07:27:22 PM »
Rumor has it that Sony might be unveiling a virtual reality set some time next year.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #577 on: September 03, 2013, 08:18:37 PM »
If this is true, I wonder how long it's been in development, considering how far along the Oculus Rift is.  Microsoft should start throwing money at those Oculus Rift guys to get some sort of exclusive deal going, though judging by their past actions, they'll likely try to develop one on their own. 

At E3, they had a Rift set up with some sort of treadmill device, so that when you moved on the treadmill, you moved in the game that was running on the Rift.  A number of people said it was amazing.  I don't recall what game it was off hand.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: September 03, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
Well the article I posted has a link to another article dating back to 2011 (which interestingly has the same picture as the new article...) saying that they were working on VR games then. So if they've been working on it for at least two years.

Just for kicks, the original interview article from 2001: http://www.develop-online.net/features/1359/Sonys-3D-re-vision.

“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: September 26, 2013, 09:25:38 AM »
A couple new MGS: Ground Zeroes Trailers.  The first trailer is about 14 minutes of gameplay and the second video is the cutscene we saw last year, but in English (Kiefer Sutherland, Bitches!).

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: October 08, 2013, 08:34:59 AM »
So I downloaded the Beyond demo.  Graphics are fucking amazing, but we already new that from the trailers.  (Although there was one point in the demo where you are traveling on a motorcycle and the road seemed to "black out" (i.e. there was no detail on the road), probably just a glitch)  The demo contains two levels, one with Jodie as a young child in a paranormal research facility and the other when she's older and being chased by police.  Completing the first level moves you to the second level.

The control scheme will take some getting use to as this is pretty much a playable movie.  Normal controls: left stick for movement, right stick to look around and interact with objects marked with a small white dot, triangle to switch to Aiden.  While playing as Aiden you can move objects by holding down L1 and then moving the analog sticks down.  Doing the same but moving the analog sticks towards each other will choke people and moving the analog sticks away from each other will allow you to possess people.  During gameplay button promps will appear on screen telling you what to do.  These button props also include moving the controller itself, which makes this one of the few PS3 games I've played that requires the use of the SIXAXIS system in the controller (the other ones being The Last of Us and MGS4, although MGS4 didn't really require its use).  Also during action-y sequences time will slow down and you have to press the right analog stick in a particular direction to successfully complete the sequence.  For example, while running through a forest you'll have to press down on the stick to duck under branches or press up on the stick to jump over logs.  During fight scenes you have to press the right analog stick in the direction of Jodie's arms or legs (there is a tutorial on this in the demo).

So far I like what I see and will probably pick it up at some point.  Apparently today is the release date...

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: December 08, 2013, 06:26:54 AM »
So Telltale, who made the awesome Walking Dead game, are also making a Game of Thrones game and a Borderlands game.  Along with the newly released Wolf Among Us and episode 2 of the Walking Dead which comes out this month, those guys are seriously busy.

Other things were shown at the VGX...awards, but it was mainly just an unfunny and awkward mess of a show.
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: April 10, 2014, 03:25:14 PM »
Time for multiple game reviews/comments...

First: The only story DLC for The Last of Us, titled Left Behind.  First, you should play The Last of Us before getting this DLC (it's around $15).  It takes place before and during the events of the main game, you play exclusively as Elle during the entire thing.  The flashback portions are way more lighthearted than the main game (at least until the shit hits the fan).  One cool feature is that at a certain part you can make infected and human enemies fight each other and either escape during the confusion or deal with whoever is left standing (which in my case was usually the infected).  Overall its pretty good, although its pretty short at over 3 hours, but it does has some replay value.  One minor complaint I have is SPOILERS: The DLC pretty much ends right when Elle and Riley get bit, from the main game we know Riley dies, but they don't actually show her death.

Second: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 and its DLC Revelations.  Great game (and DLC) with amazing visuals and a good storyline.  You play as Dracula (voiced by SGU's Robert Carlyle) trying to stop Satan's return, aided by your old foe Zobek (voiced by Patrick Stewart).  The only criticisms I have are that the final boss fight could have been a bit longer and the ending is a little... too open ended I guess.  The game is intended to end the Lords of Shadow reboot storyline so I just feel that a more... final ending would have fit better than the open ended ending it had.  The Revelations DLC is pretty good to, though not all that revealing really, its about 6 and a half hours long, which I guess is pretty good for a $8 DLC.  I don't know if the Xbox version has these issues but I encountered some problems on my PS3.  Namely the game would crash and an "Unspecified error" message popped up a few times in the main game and that the final boss battle glitched my first time playing the Revelations DLC.  (There's a gimmick to killing him and the gimmick didn't trigger, rendering him unbeatable, but I was able to kill him after restarting the game).  Oh and one more thing, this is an action game but there are some stealth sections, most of which aren't too bad, but the maze one is a giant pain in the ass.

Third: The Jetstream and Blade Wolf DLC's for Metal Gear Rising: Revengance.  Both of these were pretty fun, although really short (about an hour long each).

Final: If you liked Final Fantasy XIII, you should probably pick up the final game in that storyline, Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (although if you like FFXIII, chances are you've already picked up that game).  Pretty good game, although the environment textures are pretty bland, pretty much PS2 quality (although that's not really that important).

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: June 17, 2014, 01:00:57 AM »
It's almost time for the summer sale.  ;)

AWOLGABEN - SALE
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: June 21, 2014, 12:39:08 PM »
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: June 24, 2014, 03:42:00 AM »
E3 trailers (2013, 2014) for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.  I want this game so bad...

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: June 24, 2014, 08:37:56 AM »
So far the only games I'm dying to get my hands on are Assassin's Creed Unity, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Halo Master Chief Collection.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: June 24, 2014, 10:54:54 AM »
I'm hoping the Division is immersive and expansive as they've made it look.  Sunset Overdrive looks like fun as does Evolve, though I'm not sure I would actually play them much.  The same goes for the crew.  The new Batman games looks amazing.  I'll definitely pick it up, if and when I get the new xbox/PS4, along with the Boderlands prequel.

I like the look and theme of the new COD, but I doubt the single player will be all that good so I'll probably pass.  The same goes Battlefield Hardline, though even if I was a Battlefield fan I wouldn't give them my money for this new game while BF4 is still such a mess of a game.

I really hope Destiny is as cool as I want it to be, but I've heard numerous less than stellar reports that it's just ok.  The Master Chief Collection is a definite purchase though, and I look forward to the two live action series that will lead up to Halo 5.  If those two series can live up to the standard that Forward Unto Dawn set, then they should be really good.

There was a game for the WiiU that looked cool, a new modern shooter that had a variety of gameplay styles, but I forget the name of it.  As fun as it looked during the Nintendo press event, I have no plans to buy a WiiU for just one game since nothing else Nintendo has interests me.

I was hoping for new Fallout news, but sadly nothing.  I can't wait to see a new Fallout that uses next/current gen abilities to fix issues like load screens, expands the world even further, as well as applying everything they learned from Skyrim.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: July 01, 2014, 01:25:46 PM »
Hopefully one of the lessons they learned from Skyrim is not to release a super-buggy version of the game on one platform...

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: August 14, 2014, 05:07:12 AM »
So it looks like Hideo Kojima (the creator of the Metal Gear Solid franchise) and Guillermo del Toro (Pacific Rim, Hellboy) are teaming up to make the next Silent Hill game.  It is called "Silent Hills" and has a "playable teaser" called P.T. on the Playstation Network for PS4.  Norman Reedus (Daryl from The Walking Dead) is in it as the protagonist.  The link above has a video of the teaser, and here's the Youtube link in case IGN's crappy video service doesn't work for you.  I'd imagine this teaser would be creepy as hell if you could actually hear the dialog in the teaser and not the two guys jabbering...  One of the articles I saw about this said that Kojima said that they were making a game that would make people shit their pants.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: August 15, 2014, 11:47:23 PM »
So I found a top 100 games ever list from this Australian site... 

1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
2. The Last of Us
3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
4. Minecraft
5. Grand Theft Auto V
6. Portal 2
7. Red Dead Redemption
8. Fallout 3
9. Bioshock: Infinite
10. World of Warcraft
11. Mass Effect 2
12. Batman: Arkham City
13. Goldeneye
14. Half-Life 2
15. Final Fantasy 7
16. Dark Souls
17. Borderlands 2
18. Mass Effect 3
19. Assassin's Creed 2
20. Halo
21. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
22. BioShock
23. Tomb Raider
24. Team Fortress 2
25. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
26. Dragon Age: Origins
27. Pokemon Red, Blue, Green and Yellow
28. League of Legends
29. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
30. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
31. Civilization 5
32. Half-Life
33. Star Wars: Battlefront 2
34. Age of Empires 2
35. Uncharted 2
36. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
37. Portal
38. Halo 3
39. Final Fantasy X
40. Diablo 2
41. Deus Ex
42. DOTA 2
43. Far Cry 3
44. Fallout: New Vegas
45. Pokemon X and Y
46. Baldur's Gate 2
47. Super Mario 64
48. The Walking Dead: Season 1
49. Mario Kart 64
50. Kingdom Hearts II
51. Mass Effect
52. Metal Gear Solid
53. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
54. Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald
55. Doom
56. Battlefield 4
57. Dark Souls 2
58. Banjo-Kazooie
59. Halo 2
60. Halo 4
61. Halo: Reach
62. DayZ
63. Kingdom Hearts
64. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
65. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
66. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
67. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
68. Watch_Dogs
69. Journey
70. StarCraft
71. Terraria
72. Batman: Arkham Asylum
73. Battlefield 3
74. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
75. FIFA 2014
76. Metal Gear Solid 3
77. Chrono Trigger
78. Shadow of the Colossus
79. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
80. Garry's Mod
81. The Sims 3
82. Mario Kart 8
83. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
84. Pokemon Gold and Silver
85. Guild Wars 2
86. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
87. The Secret of Monkey Island
88. Diablo 3
89. Uncharted 3
90. Conker's Bad Fur Day
91. Clash of Clans
92. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
93. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
94. Super Mario Bros. 3
95. Persona 4
96. Tetris
97. Warcraft 3
98. Counter-Strike
99. Resident Evil 4
100. Super Mario Bros.

I'm impressed that The Last of Us was #2, as games with more nostalgia value tend to take the high spots in things like this.  Although, I don't really agree with some of the choices, personally I think The Last of Us is a better game than Skyrim, (even though I've spent countless more hours on Skyrim than The Last of Us).  Also Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots should be on the list IMO.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 11:52:41 PM by TNC »

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: August 16, 2014, 07:32:09 AM »
I'm not sure what I would put as number one, but it wouldn't be Skyrim.  Season One of the Walking Dead should also be higher on that list.  And yeah, it's surprising more nostalgic games didn't rank higher.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: August 22, 2014, 10:57:33 PM »
2014 Gamescom game play demo of MGS V: The Phantom Pain.

Observe at 5:06, you can make your horse crap on command and said crap can make a jeep spin out.  Apparently the game can learn from your actions and adapt.  For example in the E3 demo (see below) they performed a lot of headshots with the tranq gun, so in this demo most of the enemy soldiers were wearing helmets to counter that tactic.

For comparison: The E3 2014 demo.  Both demos feature the same mission, but the approach to the objective is handled in different ways.  The E3 demo shows off the Mother Base mechanic (your own personal base which you build up over the game) while the Gamescom demo shows the multiplayer features (where you can infiltrate another player's base and hijack resources from him/her).

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: August 31, 2014, 05:06:07 PM »
I've been playing Watch_Dogs the last few days.  Haven't beat it yet, but its definitely worth picking up.  Although I have a bone to pick with whoever came up with some of the "can't get detected" and "have to take a target down non-lethally" missions.  Minor nitpick: although I understand the desire to simplify things and have all weapons of a given class use the same ammo, it makes it weird when they list a specific weapon's caliber while doing that (and even weirder when most submachineguns use pistol ammo but there's a few that use assault rifle ammo).

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: August 31, 2014, 07:24:23 PM »
Did you know that Watch_Dogs takes place in the Assassin's Creed Universe? In fact it takes place at the same time as the modern day story in Black Flag. Abstergo is mentioned a couple of times, and there's a side mission that reveals what happens to a supporting character in Black Flag.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: August 31, 2014, 07:54:12 PM »
^No I didn't know that.  Though to be fair, as I've never played any of the Assassin's Creed games, its understandable that I'd miss out on any references.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: December 19, 2014, 07:29:35 PM »
I recently got into the Borderlands franchise and picked up Borderlands 2 and The Pre-Sequel!.  So The Pre-Sequel is functionally Borderlands 2 IN SPACE!  The story begins with one of the playable characters (Athena the Gladiator) having been captured by the Crimson Raiders some time after Borderlands 2.  From there the game is framed as Athena telling Lilith and the gang about her past, specifically some point in-between the first two games.  She and three others are hired by Jack to hunt for a Vault and Pandora's moon Elpis and in the process a Dahl military unit attacks the still under construction Helios space station (the giant H shaped station seen in Borderlands 2).

The story is pretty much how Jack went from being a manipulative, low-level Hyperion programer who likely had dormant psychopathic tenancies, to the monster that he is in Borderlands 2.  As you can expect from that description, the story gets pretty dark in places.  Anywho, the game plays pretty similar Borderlands 2, though now you have low gravity mechanics allowing you to do double jumps once you get an O2 kit (or "Oz kit"). 

The four playable characters are: Athena the Gladiator, Wilhelm the Enforcer, Nisha the Lawbringer, and Claptrap.  (If you've played Borderlands 2, you can guess what happens to Wilhelm based on his name alone, and you can probably guess what happens to Nisha based on apperance and voice).  I haven't spent any time with Athena, but her action skill is a shield that absorbs energy from enemy attacks and is then thrown at them.  Wilhelm is a variation on the Commando class, instead of a turret you get two flying drones (Wolf and Saint).  Wolf is an attack drone while Saint follows you around and heals you.  Haven't spent much time as Nisha, but her action skill dramatically improves performance with all guns (except sniper rifles and rocket launchers) and allows you to auto-target an enemy's critical hit location when hitting the aim button.  Claptrap is... more complicated.  His action skill is called "VaultHunter.EXE" and will randomly pick an "action package" based on various parameters.  Most of these "action packages" allow you to mimic the action skill of previous characters.  For example, you can turn invisible like Zero, or dual wield guns (while firing uncontrollably...), or throw out a turret.  Each of Claptrap's three skill trees offer new action packages.  For example, I invested in the "Boomtrap" skill tree which gives "Torque Fiesta" (throw a bunch of grenades that damage anything near them) and "Pirate Ship Mode" (gain four cannons that fire randomly).  "Pirate Ship Mode" would be totally awesome if you could control it, but it will still kill any non boss with one hit, assuming you can hit them.

Claptrap's other skill trees are "I Love You Guys" and "Fragmented Fragtrap".  The first of these looks like it would be a good choice if you do a lot of co-op play as most of the skills offer team wide bonuses.  "Fragmented Fragtrap" offers random subroutines that boost damage with certain weapons, but weaken all the others.  Probably the best part about Claptrap is he doesn't need oxygen, so you don't have to watch your O2 gauge, that and the humor, especially when he berates another Claptrap unit's bumbling about half way though the game...  Wilhelm's skill trees are "Cyber-Commando", "Hunter-Killer", and "Dreadnought".  The first one focuses on improving Wilhelm and offers cybernetic enhancements (a ranged melee attack, ability to shoot while sprinting, and a shoulder mounted laser cannon) while the other two focus on improving Wolf and Saint (respectively).

The game is shorter than Borderlands 2 with only 12 story missions.  Although most of those missions feel longer than many of Borderlands 2's missions.  It's a pretty fun game and I recommend it if you like the other games in the franchise.  One (nitpicky) complaint I have is that space is dangerous for more than a lack of oxygen and the Oz kits don't offer protection against those dangers.  Specifically the Oz Kit works by generating a force-field around your character's head.  Personally I would have replaced Oz kits with full on space suits, but that's just me.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: June 16, 2015, 12:35:03 PM »
A PS4 remake of Final Fantasy VII, arguably the most popular game in the franchise, was announced at E3.  Here's the trailer.  (It says "Play it first on PS4" which suggests the possibility of an XBox One version at some point after the initial release...)

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: March 31, 2016, 02:25:26 PM »
All the trailers from the Final Fantasy XV event in LA yesterday.  Not only is the main game (finally) coming out September 30th, they are also releasing a 5 or 6 episode prequel anime, a CGI movie that takes place during the events of the game and has Sean Bean, Lena Headey, and Arron Paul doing voice work (unfortunately they won't be doing the voice work of the same characters in the game, which is weird), and an iPhone/Android spin-off game.  So they're really doubling down on it, considering its been in development for ten freaking years anything less than the best Final Fantasy ever will likely be a disappointment for many.

Oh and apparently the car in the game is based on an Audi prototype or something and Audi's actually going to make the car from the game.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 02:30:55 PM by TNC »