Author Topic: Star Trek Phoenix  (Read 20417 times)

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
Star Trek Phoenix
« on: October 29, 2008, 12:55:30 AM »
http://www.stphoenix.com/

This is a fan series that I've been following the production of for the past few months.  They haven't released anything yet, but they have some pretty impressive 'talk' about what they've got planned.

Apparently they managed to secure some sort of deal with a local tv studio to use their stages for filming.  Andrew Probert (yes that Probert) has joined their team as a consultant, and they're filming with Red One HD camera's which if you don't know anything about HD camera's....are bitching awesome.  They're supposedly as good or better then the HD cameras the pros are using, but no where near as expensive....that is to say, they're still out of reach for almost all independent filmmakers, unless you've got 50-100,000 dollars to spend.

Here is some footage from a Red Camera:
Crossing the Line filmed by Peter Jackson.

Sanctuary, which is airing on Sci-Fi was shot with three Red One Camera's.  Needless to say, their use of such a high end HD camera will all by itself set them apart from most everyone else.  Granted, their story could suck and the acting may be terrible, but dam if they won't look good going down in flames.

I suppose I bring all this up because I'm a bit jealous, to say the least.  These guys have been in production less then a year and are already filming, while my own series is bogged down in pre-production and lack of financial backing.  To say nothing of the strange reason why anytime someone starts a Trek Fan series, people flock to it to volunteer faster then Quark would sexually harass a Dabo girl, where as if you're trying to do something new and original, you practically have to hold people at gunpoint to get them to help...aside from a few loyal volunteers.

So, all in all, just me whining I guess.  It should be interesting to see what they manage to pull off.

ETA:
I suppose I should have mentioned what the show is about, but I really don't know.  There's a ship, I know that much and they claim to be getting back to the 'roots' of Star Trek.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 12:58:07 AM by Jimi James »
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek Phoenix
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 02:42:54 AM »
Is this the same fan series that Probert designed that Klingon fighter for a while back?

I like the uniforms.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 10:46:07 AM »
I don't know, and to be honest, I don't completely remember the Klingon fighter of which you speak.
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 02:05:41 AM »
I tried to find a picture of it, but I couldn't. It basically looks like a tiny one-man version of a BoP with its wings swept down and a more angular "head."

Now that I think about it though, it was too long ago to have anything to do with this project.

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 09:44:47 AM »
I tried to find a picture of it, but I couldn't. It basically looks like a tiny one-man version of a BoP with its wings swept down and a more angular "head."

Now that I think about it though, it was too long ago to have anything to do with this project.

Was it similar to this?

"You have always had a hard time finding your place in this world, haven't you? Never knowing your true worth? You can settle for less than an ordinary life. Now you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special?"    - Christopher Pike speaking to a young James T. Kirk

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 10:07:19 AM »
No, it was much smaller than even that. It had a cockpit like the Valkyrie fighter from ST:Invasion with the wings and engine attached to it. It was very tiny.

Offline Marian87

• View Profile
    • deviant art profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 10:19:59 AM »
I know the last post on this thread is almost 2 years old, but I just cheked the site http://www.stphoenix.com/ and I saw that they released the first part of the first episode this year and wanted to know if any of you guys saw it and what do you think of it.
The video can be downloaded or if you wait a bit it will start in the window on the main page.

I was begining to favour a complete reboot of the franchise with a new "TOS" series, but this show looks promising and I quite liked it.
It shows that you can continue the old universe and don't have to appeal to a contrived story involving an alternate timeline or a prequel series to make something cool, new and most of all Trek.
They did indeed get back to basics, the 3 core characters are in there, the charismatic bold captain, the loose mouthed doctor and of course Mr.Logic but they are different enough from the originals not to think every few minutes that they're just impersonators and the acting is also decent to good, I've seen TV shows with much worse acting, and lastly there are also a few technological twists as well.

"For I dipt into the future, far as human eye could see,Saw the Vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be;"
ALFRED, LORD TENNYSON

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek Phoenix and why most fan productions fail
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 12:17:13 AM »
I watched it and wasn't exactly thrilled to the point of wanting to tune in again for the remainder of the episode.  I'll cut them a lot of slack because it's their first episode and they're an independent production, which is an accomplishment all on it's own, but there is definitely plenty of room for improvement.  I will say though, that from what I saw, the doctor character was the highlight of the entire production. I took some degree of issue with just about everything else because it all felt as though they're trying to tell a story that is far too large to ever be told as well as it needs to be, with the capabilities at their disposal.

And really, I think that's one of the major failings of many fan productions, at least in Star Trek.  They all try to do the classic 'crew on a ship' series, but on a shoe string budget.  And unless you're actors are so great that they've turned down legitimate movie roles to do a fan production, or the story is so spectacular that the audience can put aside the terrible acting and lousy production values, the crew on a ship format isn't the way to go.

You have the entire Star Trek history to pull from, with near limitless possibilities and yet everyone seems to fall back on what's been done before.  For crying out loud, why on Earth would you try to do an ensemble action adventure drama, with your characters stuck on a ship.  It's been done five times already on the small screen, and eleven times on the big screen, to say nothing of the fan productions that are already out there doing the same thing as you, and doing it better because they've got several years of experience on you already. 

If they really want to pull off a spectacular fan production, then they need to think outside the box.  Tell a story in a smaller setting, with a smaller cast that can be done cheap, with a minimal amount of green screen and the occasional background cgi shot to show something that tells the audience we're not on present day Earth, but in the future.  A shuttlecraft flying by would be enough.  After that, you could set the production in your house and an get away with an intensely character driven story that doesn't need a starship, transport effects, or any other of the major trappings of a fan production that instantly point towards a shoestring budget.

Imagine for example, if the TNG episode The Inner Light was a fan production, minus the parts that take place on the bridge of the Enterprise.  With a little effort and creativity, you could recreate that episode in small neighborhood and with some competent actors, create a major success because the story is so impressive.  Some of the best Trek episodes in history have been the ones that rely not on spectacular visuals, epic story telling, and the constant reminder that the characters are in the future, but instead have been stories that could just as easily be set in our own real world, or connect to our world in such a way that we can instantly identify with them.

That's the direction that fan productions should be exploring, not trying to recreate TOS's sense of frontier exploration or DS9's epic warfare.  Leave those stories to a production with the budget to pull them off.

Offline Marian87

• View Profile
    • deviant art profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 03:49:47 AM »
I get your point, maybe there is a lack of originality,but a crew, a ship, and a mission to boldly go somewhere :P is what Star Trek is, and that's what people love about it so I find it logical that that's what fans would want to recreate.

I know this production has its weak points, but I still enjoyed it. At least it's not trying to recreate the TOS or TNG eras, which have been done to death. It may be that this film sucks but i can't see it because i'm desperate for my next fix of trek :P.

"For I dipt into the future, far as human eye could see,Saw the Vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be;"
ALFRED, LORD TENNYSON

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 03:34:56 PM »
I stay away from fan productions in general, because they are almost across the board terrible. Terrible acting, effects, costume design, etc. I don't even watch "Phase Two", and that's (supposedly) the best of the bunch.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 11:00:10 AM »
No, it was much smaller than even that. It had a cockpit like the Valkyrie fighter from ST:Invasion with the wings and engine attached to it. It was very tiny.

You mean this one?

http://probertdesigns.com/Folder_STORE/Folder_CONCEPT-KITS/K-Fighter_KIT.html

To Daft: Phase 2 is the best of them. I'm not just saying that too sound good. I've watched the eps. 
Human Nature. Without a common enemy , men will look for foes in the one place they can guarantee finding one: The Past. -Eoforth, Sigmar's right hand man,

A mind without a purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor, Inquisitor of the Imperium of Mankind.