Author Topic: A novel newbie seeks assistance.  (Read 5856 times)

Offline Penta

• View Profile
A novel newbie seeks assistance.
« on: November 16, 2008, 06:49:45 PM »
Oh, how the little things make me...want to blow my head off.

Let me sit down for a second and describe my taste in novels...As I'm looking to get into Trek novels, but am lost in the sheer abundance.

Generally: My favorite Trek is DS9 - for a lot of reasons, but mostly I just like the more realistic, darker tone compared to TOS or TNG.

I like exploring the "harder" sci-fi edges of Trek - my reading tastes outside of Trek run from Ender's Game (only the first novel, though) through to the Honor Harrington series (which I'm lightly addicted to). So, MilSF, I guess. (I've also read all of the Harry Potter books, but I fail to see the relevance of that. :P)

On my shelves somewhere likes a hardcover of the novel "Federation", which I admit to liking less for its story than its glimpses of Trek history.

I'm also, weirdly, a politics geek - not quite a CSPAN junkie, but I used to be.

With all that said, could someone help me find Trek novel series that would be good to put on my Amazon wish list?

(If said books are available in Microsoft Reader format, that's a tasty, but not essential, bonus - I've come to love the format.)

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
Re: A novel newbie seeks assistance.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 08:23:21 PM »
If you like DS9 most then I would suggest looking into pretty much any of the so called relaunch series... personally I would suggest looking into the Avatar Books, and after that the Mission Gamma series... those are just some of my personal favourites.
N.I.G.G.A. - Never Ignorant Gettin' Goals Acomplished
"If a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
CIDvision :: the breen war :: trekonline

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 09:16:59 PM »
If you like politics you will really like "Articles of the Federation" and some of the corrolary books that went with that. (I THINK "Errand of War" is one of them but I am not sure.)

I haven't read that but I am reading the whole Star Trek: Destiny Series and the stuff that involves the Federation President and her Staff is quite political.

Unfortunately, the two released books of that story doesn't quite involve what is going on on Deep Space Nine though.

"You have always had a hard time finding your place in this world, haven't you? Never knowing your true worth? You can settle for less than an ordinary life. Now you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special?"    - Christopher Pike speaking to a young James T. Kirk

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 02:43:17 AM »
Generally: My favorite Trek is DS9 - for a lot of reasons, but mostly I just like the more realistic, darker tone compared to TOS or TNG.

The Deep Space Nine relaunch is a series of novels with a shared continuity that begins from a few months after the end of the series.

I like exploring the "harder" sci-fi edges of Trek - my reading tastes outside of Trek run from Ender's Game (only the first novel, though) through to the Honor Harrington series (which I'm lightly addicted to). So, MilSF, I guess. (I've also read all of the Harry Potter books, but I fail to see the relevance of that. :P)

The closest to Hard SF you're going to get in Trek are the novels of Christopher L. Bennett, who has an astrophysics background and infuses his stories with real scientific explanations for Treknology and other Trek standbys wherever possible. I would especially recommend the following:

- Ex Machina (a direct sequel to TMP that deals with godlike machines and is sort of a relaunch of the original crew on a new five year mission)

- Titan: Orion's Hounds (part of the Titan series, but it's not necessary to read the other ones to get this, an interesting exploration of hunting and of spacefaring creatures like the Crystalline Entity and Farpoint creature)

- The Buried Age (a novel that deals with what Picard was doing in the ten years between the Stargazer and the Enterprise and deals with Earth's Permian extinction - which turns out was on a galactic scale - and the origin of the godlike entities so frequently encountered in TOS)

- Greater than the Sum (a TNG novel dealing with the reborn Borg, Hugh and his rebel Borg, new crewmembers, star cluster scale lifeforms, and the relationship of Picard and Crusher)

On my shelves somewhere likes a hardcover of the novel "Federation", which I admit to liking less for its story than its glimpses of Trek history.

The Eugenics Wars: The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh duology repaints the Eugenics Wars as a series of secret wars that largely blend with contemporary real world history such as Bosnia, Area 51, a real life quake in India, etc. The third novel, To Reign in Hell deals with the period from Khan's exile to Ceti Alpha V to his taking of the Reliant.

The Lost Era and related novels chronicle gaps between films and TV series as well as major historical events such as the Tomed Incident, the build-up to Khitomer, how Sulu got command of the Excelsior, the Albino - Dax - Kang - Kor - Koloth connection, the Enterprise-B, Captain Rachel Garrett, the Betreka Nebula Incident between the Klingons and Cardassians, the Cardassian Occupation of Bajor, etc.

The Lost Years novels chronicle the period between the end of TOS and TMP.

Strangers from the Sky no longer fits with the established canon first contact with Vulcans, but it's a fascinating novel dealing with the aftermath of WWIII and told as an alternate historical tale in much the same style as ENT 'Carbon Creek.'

For sheer epicness surpassing even the scale of 'Federation,' the Reeves-Stevens DS9 Millenium trilogy (which can be bought as a single omnibus) is hard to beat. It's a self-contained time travel story that begins as a straightforward mystery, becomes a massive future war, and then wraps it all up and restores the timeline in the third novel. 

I'm also, weirdly, a politics geek - not quite a CSPAN junkie, but I used to be.

Articles of the Federation is the most blatantly political Trek novel there is; basically a West Wing: Federation. It deals with the entire first year of the first term of a new Federation president. The events that led to her election are chronicled in the TNG novels A Time to Kill and A Time to Heal which are essentially The Iraq War on an alien planet with the Federation as the occupiers and the Klingons conducting a huge shock and awe opening attack that quickly turns into a guerrilla war quagmire for the Federation peacekeepers.

Offline Penta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 09:43:14 AM »
So much iinfo.

This rocks.:) Thanks everybody.

Looking for the DS9 relaunch series first...Is it me, or is a lot of it not in print anymore?

Offline caisson2delta

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 11:24:17 AM »
I've read all 3 Eugenics wars books and I thought they were very cool. They are an easy and enjoyable read; also full of little tidbits of things that I found interesting. Aside from that, I haven't read a great deal of trek novels. The only other one, of late, that I've read was just entitled Kahless and it was good as well.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 06:01:20 PM »
So much iinfo.

This rocks.:) Thanks everybody.

Looking for the DS9 relaunch series first...Is it me, or is a lot of it not in print anymore?

The originals might be hard to find now, but I think they released the Avatar books as a single volume, as well as the Mission Gama series in a new set.

Yeah, here:

Twist of Faith is Avatar, Abyss, and the DS9 related portions of Gateways series (which was terrible and can be/should be skipped), collected into one volume.

These Haunted Seas are the first two books in the Mission Gamma series, collected in one volume. 

Strangely, though I can't seem to find anything on a single volume for parts three and four of Mission Gama.  It's not even listed anywhere as scheduled.  You can still find them on Amazon though.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Admiral Ross

• Veteran Member
  • Token SCN Paleo-Con
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 03:53:17 PM »
I would also highly recommend the ST:Vanguard series.  It's only three novels right now (with supposedly a fourth and fifth scheduled in the not too distant future), so it should be pretty easy to find and catch up on.  It's set in the TOS era, on a space station on the Federation border (Kirk & Co. make a cameo in the first novel and familiar faces pop up throughout) and deals with a very non-traditional cast of characters (station CO, reporter, Diplomatic Attache, JAG officer) as well as the normal types (science officer, security officer, etc).

The first three novels deal with a massive mystery as the UFP, Klingons, and Tholians all try to race to solve it without sparking an interstellar war.  The third novel seemingly wraps up that initial arc while opening the door for further events.  Very well written, interesting, and exciting.
“Fear God and Dread Nought”

- Motto of Admiral Sir John Fisher