Author Topic: Semper Exploro  (Read 33300 times)

Offline The_Captain

• Target their engines and fire!
    • View Profile
    • Semper Exploro: Phase II
Semper Exploro
« on: January 23, 2009, 02:45:42 PM »
Hey everyone...

I finally finished and published my site, there isen't a whole lot at the moment but more is in the making.
Please post any feedback, thanks.

My site is named Semper Exploro, it is a database containing articles that I have written about various aspects of Star Trek over the years, it also has a section on the Mirror Universe, also I have a section for some of my ship designs, finally I'm working on a starship interiors area. At the moment it's at http://semper-exploro.freehyperspace5.com/index.html but soon it will be semper-exploro.org.

Sounds like the Goddamn Spanish Inquisition.. -Dr. McCoy, Star Trek IV Star Trek: Phase II

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
Re: Semper Exploro
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 08:43:45 PM »
It's probably not the best idea to have copied the layout and theme of EAS so completely.  It's fine to start out with if it's just temp, but I'd suggest taking a more original approach if this is a site you're going to be running for a long time.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline The_Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 06:36:47 AM »
It's just temporary.... also I liked EAS' Layout.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 01:39:53 PM by The_Captain »

Sounds like the Goddamn Spanish Inquisition.. -Dr. McCoy, Star Trek IV Star Trek: Phase II

Offline The_Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 01:39:23 PM »
Sorry about the double post, put the new perminant interface is up.

Offline The_Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 05:12:27 PM »
Semper Exploro now has it's own domain, www.semper-exploro.org

Offline The_Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 05:02:59 PM »
Semper Exploro is back up after my hosting crashed 2 hours ago, and some more updates were made.

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 12:09:05 PM »
Hi The_Captain,

Well, I don't care that you use the EAS theme, although in some places you could it make less obvious.

I see you have made some progress. Keep the new stuff coming!

Just a few annotations:
- The background image on the homepage is way too large and way too busy (even though it takes just a couple of seconds with DSL it is still distracting that it appears so late).
- If you want header bars with beveled corners, keep the image size strictly the same. But you can do almost the same much better with CSS boxes.
- Don't use huge tables that span most of the page, because they are being displayed with significant delay, and don't make them a different color than the page background.
- There is something nasty happening each time I load a page or only switch to it (a nasty script?). I can't tell what is happening, but the least it does is cause a considerable delay in the display of the pages.

I found out that it comes from the domain cloaking frame (I take it your domain is hosted with a different provider than the bulk of the site). If I go to http://www.semper-exploro.freehyperspace5.com everything works fine, but when I go to the superimposed cloaking frame at http://www.semper-exploro.org things are happening that I don't like.

I don't know, would it be possible for you to set up a proper DNS record to point to the very server where your data is located (free DNS should be no problem, but your host must allow it)?

Offline The_Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 02:44:55 PM »
Well right now I'm using a free host, I'm working on hiring a webserver atm, I tried using my domain-register hosting, but it had a huge ad that took up the whole page, so I said I might as well use the free host because even though I have to mask it at least there are no ads. Because I hate adds, and thanks for your advice, I hope to make it EAE material, I'm hoping to apply for it before March. I've also applyed for a few different awards already but I haven't get any replies yet, I applied for the different Core awards from Trekcore, but Trekcore hasen't been updated for awhile. Also as a side note I wanted to let you know that on EAS most of the sites on your bannerpage are abandoned.

And thanks for your advice, I'm getting rid of the huge tables, and I'm working on making the background image less busy and hopefully a smaller file size.

My current host is a jerk about DNS, so I'm waiting for my new host so I can do that, I don't feel like paying for them to allow me to know their Ip to change my records, it's not worth it because I hopefully will get a new host soon, if it falls through I will pay for the ip.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 03:41:33 PM by The_Captain »

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 12:02:00 PM »
Let me know if you have any trouble when it comes to hosting, I can offer you free hosting on my server (same server as SCN) with your own root account login. All you would have to do is point the domain at the location on my server and everything would be alright, I can handle the rest of the server settings... could have you up and running in as long as it takes the DNS settings to take effect.

Let me know, preferably through email as I probably wont be keeping a close eye on this tread.

Cheers.
N.I.G.G.A. - Never Ignorant Gettin' Goals Acomplished
"If a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
CIDvision :: the breen war :: trekonline

Offline The_Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 02:34:56 PM »
Thanks, I might do that. I'll send you an e-mail, thanks for your offer!  ;D

Offline The_Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 09:15:07 AM »
Updated the Alcohol in Star Trek Article, check it out - http://semper-exploro.freehyperspace5.com/alcohol.html

Offline Ottens

• View Profile
    • Forgotten Trek
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 03:00:21 PM »
It's good to see a new personal Trek website out there. For some time, I feared the thing would disappear altogether, with the growing prevalence of all this Web 2.0 stuff, blogs in particular. Seeing a real website again is quite refreshing.

If I may give you some suggestions:

- I would recommend getting rid of the background image. This may be personal taste, but I prefer single-color backgrounds, this makes the actual content of your site easier to read. I find that a background image distracts rather than adds to the site.

- The main interface of your site and the actual pages don't match. I don't know if you're in the process of redesigning the site? A uniform look for all pages is certainly better.

- I can understand why in some places you imitate the style of Bernd's website. His is a practical and clean site, and very successful of course. Nonetheless, it's preferable to define your own style, one that visitors immediately recognize as yours, something unique.

Now, I think your site certainly has great potential. You already offer some interesting features and I suppose you're working on more? Well, keep up the good work, I say!
FORGOTTEN TREK -- the Internet's treasure of behind the scenes Star Trek

Offline The_Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 03:13:06 PM »
It's good to see a new personal Trek website out there. For some time, I feared the thing would disappear altogether, with the growing prevalence of all this Web 2.0 stuff, blogs in particular. Seeing a real website again is quite refreshing.

If I may give you some suggestions:

- I would recommend getting rid of the background image. This may be personal taste, but I prefer single-color backgrounds, this makes the actual content of your site easier to read. I find that a background image distracts rather than adds to the site.

- The main interface of your site and the actual pages don't match. I don't know if you're in the process of redesigning the site? A uniform look for all pages is certainly better.

- I can understand why in some places you imitate the style of Bernd's website. His is a practical and clean site, and very successful of course. Nonetheless, it's preferable to define your own style, one that visitors immediately recognize as yours, something unique.

Now, I think your site certainly has great potential. You already offer some interesting features and I suppose you're working on more? Well, keep up the good work, I say!

Thanks! Well the reason why some of the pages don't match, is that every section has it's own index kinda like EAS, but the section index's match the regular index and the other pages are "article pages". There used to be a large gradiant on the article page with a huge table, but I got rid of it because Bernd told me that the loading time was terrible. Thanks for your suggestions and my site is slowly, gradually morphing into a unique design. And yes I am working on some new articles and galleries.

Also I am testing out new layouts for the index page, so I hope I'll be finished tinkering and upload it soon.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 03:22:22 PM by The_Captain »

Offline The_Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 07:57:44 PM »
2.3.09 - Major Update! I added a Starship Gallery, including a gallery on the XI Enterprise & Kelvin, updated & repaired the table alignment on the Starship Interiors gallery, I am also in the process of applying the new gallery format to the old galleries.

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 12:49:46 AM »
Hey, I was just taking a look at the coding for your layout and I think I figured out why some things aren't exactly lining up and working out for you... the solution is somewhat complicate to explain but the easiest way would be to describe it as nested tables to get things to work out the way you want it.

Essentially you create a background able that acts strictly as layout and then you create another table inside one of the cells on the layout. Its the basic method that I have used on my websites for the last couple years. I'll give you an example..

{table} <-- open layout table
    {tr}{td colspan="2"} insert header graphic here {/td}{/tr}  <-- colspan will make it stretch across the two table cells that you are going to need to make your layout work
    {tr}{td} <-- open new row and cell in your layout table
        {table} insert all the stuff you need to build a navigation table structure {/table}
    {/td}
    {td}
        {table} insert the code you need to build your content area {/table}
    {/td}{/tr}
{/table} <-- close the layout table

Thats probably as clear as mud to you right now but once you get into the coding for it it becomes a lot more clear, it will just give you a little more flexibility with your design and will let you make things line up a little more in your design.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 12:51:22 AM by Makaveli »
"If a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline The_Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 05:36:18 PM »
Thanks, I've been meaning to clean up the code for while, I've noticed the same thing. Also I sent you an e-mail about hosting SE on your server, did you get it?

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 06:02:45 PM »
Nope, didnt get it... I even checked my junkmail and didnt see it in there, you might be better off just sending me a PM on the forums and I'll work something out for you.

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 02:24:13 PM »
I see you decided to get rid of the cloaking. Works better this way. I hope you can properly set up the DNS.

Offline The_Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 03:39:18 PM »
Yeah, also I'm getting rid of the Freehyperspace host, and I'm now on Mak's server. There won't be any updates until I finish moving everything over.

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2009, 11:03:12 PM »
Whats taking you so long to transfer over anyways? I could have had everything put up on the server in about ten minutes... its taking you quite a while....

Offline The_Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2009, 02:43:54 PM »
I need to change all of the links, because my site was hosted at a free server and the links needed to be semper-exploro.freehyperspace.com/###, so I need to change them all to semper-exploro.org/#####. Also I need do some much needed revamps.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 03:03:15 PM by The_Captain »

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 01:22:04 AM »
Personally I would suggest using relative links and not absolute... makes it alot easier to relocate sites later on or even make changes for that matter.... just another suggestion tho...

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2009, 05:15:33 AM »
Oh, absolute links. That truly sucks.

I wonder, how can you edit pages with absolute links, other than on the server itself?

Offline The_Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2009, 11:52:50 AM »
I don't know... all I know it that I hope to have SE back up and running hopefully by Monday....

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2009, 08:50:59 PM »
If you want a hand with some recoding I could probably help you out a little... I'm kinda in the mood to do a little bit of coding right now lol, and I have the free time.