Author Topic: Semper Exploro  (Read 33098 times)

Offline The_Captain

• Target their engines and fire!
    • View Profile
    • Semper Exploro: Phase II
Re: Semper Exploro
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2009, 08:19:28 AM »
No thanks, I'm mostly throwing out a lot of it, such as the old sction index pages, I'm totally redesigning the set up, hopefully make it look better, load faster and make it more user friendly. But thanks for the offer.

Sounds like the Goddamn Spanish Inquisition.. -Dr. McCoy, Star Trek IV Star Trek: Phase II

Offline Nemesis

• Don't worry be happy
    • View Profile
    • Final Frontier Media
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2009, 04:22:33 AM »
Oh, absolute links. That truly sucks.

I wonder, how can you edit pages with absolute links, other than on the server itself?

Very easy.. just be online! have a internet connection. I Always use absolute links. But I must say.. how often do you move your site? and how many links do you have to change?

My menu is in PHP, so one change.. So, absolute links doesn't neccessaryly(?) be bad. Depends on your own demands.

Further more. Some tips for the_captain.

First of all: Wonderful!, As Ottens says, a new website is refreshing. I hope you keep it together, because a lot of sites "died" last few years.

• background image. Way to big, it doesn't fit, a part isn't showing because your content is blocking it. As more people suggested. Use a one color background, or something less destracting. If I may do a suggestion. I think a dark (black/starry/dark blue) should be nice. But the color of you menu should be a bit lighter. Therefore the text in your menu buttons will be more easy to read.
  • If you want that background image on your site, why don't make a image box just below your menu, until the bottom of the yellow part. A nice size for a picture and less destracting.
  • Your browsing happens with the menu on the left and links in the yellow part of your site. When I push a link in the yellow part you go to a page which is full width. The content shown doesn't need that width. Maybe you could use the same lay-out as your main pages with the yellow box. What I mean is that you put your content in that yellow part. Off course this is your own decision. Just an option.
  • I agree with having your own design works very good. The website like EAS and Ottens is a perfect example, but also Trekcore.com or StarTrek.nl. My website (www.finalfrontiermedia.nl) uses the same colors/design as for the last 7 years. I've updated the design, but always remain within the colorscheme and looks. When you do this, your site will be recognized in time. Besides people don't like websites with changing color schemes/lay-outs every month/year/etc
  • Your links section (text links) uses a white background. This differs from the rest.

Keep going. Never give up and don't change to much at once. Take your time.

"Gods don't make mistakes. Though, sometimes I think it would be nice to be able to carry a tune"

Offline The_Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2009, 07:16:51 AM »

• background image. Way to big, it doesn't fit, a part isn't showing because your content is blocking it. As more people suggested. Use a one color background, or something less destracting. If I may do a suggestion. I think a dark (black/starry/dark blue) should be nice. But the color of you menu should be a bit lighter. Therefore the text in your menu buttons will be more easy to read.
  • If you want that background image on your site, why don't make a image box just below your menu, until the bottom of the yellow part. A nice size for a picture and less destracting.
  • Your browsing happens with the menu on the left and links in the yellow part of your site. When I push a link in the yellow part you go to a page which is full width. The content shown doesn't need that width. Maybe you could use the same lay-out as your main pages with the yellow box. What I mean is that you put your content in that yellow part. Off course this is your own decision. Just an option.
  • I agree with having your own design works very good. The website like EAS and Ottens is a perfect example, but also Trekcore.com or StarTrek.nl. My website (www.finalfrontiermedia.nl) uses the same colors/design as for the last 7 years. I've updated the design, but always remain within the colorscheme and looks. When you do this, your site will be recognized in time. Besides people don't like websites with changing color schemes/lay-outs every month/year/etc
  • Your links section (text links) uses a white background. This differs from the rest.
I am taking care of the background image, right now I'm in the process of revamping almost everything, I hope to have it up soon, since I haven't published an update for a week. The new layout is in the middle of the page, also I am keeping the color scheme of yellow, blue and bluish green.
Also the link page's background is a mistake, I need to fix that right away, I didn't notice that. Thanks for catching it, usually my friend catches them.

Keep going. Never give up and don't change to much at once. Take your time.
Thanks. I won't. My site is still new so a lot of the updates change a lot because I'm experimenting to find a look that I and the visitor both like. And that's a challenge.

Sounds like the Goddamn Spanish Inquisition.. -Dr. McCoy, Star Trek IV Star Trek: Phase II

Offline The_Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2009, 11:15:28 AM »
Here's a screencap of the new layout, I'm still working on the other pages. The index is done, but I won't upload it until the other pages are in place. I hope the new layout is much more appeasing to the eye, and is more unique. I've spent a few days looking over what I could do to the layout to make it better. After an hour I realized I needed to build a whole new one.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 11:26:26 AM by The_Captain »

Offline Nemesis

• Don't worry be happy
    • View Profile
    • Final Frontier Media
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2009, 01:51:24 PM »
Very nice! It looks great I think. It's compact and that will appeal visitors.

Only two remarks:

the name of your site is difficult to read. As if there's no space between the R and E dividing the two words. Also the letters going dark at the bottom makes them less readable.
Star Trek is owned by CBS, not Paramount. as you can see on www.startrek.com and www.startrekmovie.com

"Gods don't make mistakes. Though, sometimes I think it would be nice to be able to carry a tune"

Offline The_Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2009, 02:17:24 PM »
Actually Paramount owns the movies and CBS owns the series. Yes I need to update that.

Offline The_Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2009, 02:22:54 PM »
Also here is the banner based upon your suggestions.

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2009, 02:24:42 PM »
So I take it that you have it mocked up in photoshop or Illustrator (or some such program)... I'd be careful with that, sometimes the layouts you come up with in those programs are a pain in the ass to get to actually work out in html.

Nemesis actually had a good idea tho, if your going to be making a lot of pages using the same layout then it might actually be worth looking into some basis php, I do all my sites as a php template, it just lets you make changes across the entire site quickly without having to edit each page on its own. And when it comes down to actually doing it its not that hard, built your layout like you normally would and then split it into header and footer files where you would put the content.

If you don't know how to work out the php side of things I can show you how to do it...
N.I.G.G.A. - Never Ignorant Gettin' Goals Acomplished
"If a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
CIDvision :: the breen war :: trekonline

Offline The_Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2009, 03:06:32 PM »
No the layout picture I showed is an actual screenshot I did of the completed index page, I took two screenshots and pieced the two together in photoshop. And it's html.

Here is a logo for the supporting pages, since the banner will only be on the index page, because it's impractical to have something that big on every page.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 03:09:33 PM by The_Captain »

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2009, 06:46:31 PM »
I dunno, personally I'm a fan of sites that carry their theme onto all the pages instead of changing it for the content pages. I just think the whole site works together better as a whole... and I was just saying that using php can make things a lot easier, especially when and if it comes time to update any links that you have.
"If a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline The_Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2009, 07:05:26 PM »
Well, I don't know PHP and I like working with stuff that I'm familiar with.

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2009, 09:01:46 PM »
The amount of php you would actually be using is very little... you would do all your coding normally... basically on each one of your pages there would be two lines of php, one at the top and one at the bottom... these two tags call for the header and footer files (basically your layout split in half)... so essentially your layout is separate from the content, it makes it easier when creating or editing pages as well because you instead of putting all the layout info on the page you just reference the header and footer files.

I think in the long run it just makes it alot easier when your adding many new pages... if your curious at all I could send you an example of how it works, it would let you see how simple it actually is and how much it helps out in the long run.

And I was actually resistant to using php myself until I started making more and more complex sites... the other thing that really helps is that if you decide to change the layout later on down the road all you have to do is edit the template files and once the new ones are uploaded it changes site wide instead of having to update every page by itself.

Just something that you might want to look into, like I said its saved me a ton of time over the past couple years when changing up the look of sites I've built. At one point I was using templates in dreamweaver to made sitewide updates, only problem is it meant uploading the entire site again after any layout changes were made, php is even easier than that...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 09:05:09 PM by Makaveli »

Offline Ottens

• View Profile
    • Forgotten Trek
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2009, 09:42:01 AM »
I'm kinda in the mood to do a little bit of coding right now lol, and I have the free time.
In the mood for coding? Why, I wonder what that feels like....  :P

The new layout is looking good, Captain! I'm looking forward to see it all online.

I must second Mak when it comes to PHP. I too was rather reluctant to use new stuff when I had a plain and simple HTML page, but now that I'm using PHP and CSS, I cannot but say that these are absolutely wonderful. I just recently overhauled by entire website, and because I used PHP and CSS, I could do it all in few little time.

Of course, it takes an amount of learning to do, and I can imagine that right now, you'd rather work on just getting your new pages up and running. Besides, there's always time for new things later.

Good luck!
FORGOTTEN TREK -- the Internet's treasure of behind the scenes Star Trek

Offline Nemesis

• Don't worry be happy
    • View Profile
    • Final Frontier Media
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2009, 01:30:18 PM »
I agree with Mak. You don't need a lot of php code to have big advantages to your website. I use php at a very basic level. I've a database, which was provided by my Domain provider. Created a table with two fields. added around the 5 records and voila. I don't have to change 50 pages because it's new year (disclaimer 2002-2009) it can now be done in simply changing the year in the table and everything is fixed.

Also my menu is changed. If there's a change in links or something, very easy. Well I can go on and on. But just start small and don't do too much at once. But Your Logo and changed header banner looks really great. I'm looking forward to your site!

Offline The_Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2009, 02:50:02 PM »
Well I'll try it. But not right now, I really need to get SE up A.S.A.P. I mean it's been down since last week, well it isnít technically down, but I've lost all visitors because it wasnít been updated. So I need to get it up. But I might experiment with it. Mak, I can't receive your e-mails for some reason, they just never come, they don't even appear in the spam folder, so I'm not sure what it is. If you can message the example to me that would be great. Or if that isnít possible we'll have to try something else...

And to Ottens, thanks for the compliment, I've been trying to come up with something good for the past week, so I decided to go with a pre-LCARS access panel type of layout.

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2009, 03:38:50 PM »
The_Captain: Your new logo reads "Semper Sxploro". ;) Why don't you substitute the "S" in "Semper" with the sigma?

Instead of PHP there would be also the possibility to use SSI headers as a more straightforward possibility. But SSI is totally incompatible with PHP (which I noticed too late). If you need PHP code somewhere, you can't have SSI on the same page.

Offline The_Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2009, 03:44:30 PM »
The_Captain: Your new logo reads "Semper Sxploro". ;) Why don't you substitute the "S" in "Semper" with the sigma?
Instead of PHP there would be also the possibility to use SSI headers as a more straightforward possibility. But SSI is totally incompatible with PHP (which I noticed too late). If you need PHP code somewhere, you can't have SSI on the same page.
The Logo is just a WIP I'm not even sure I really like it and I don't think i'll use it. The reason why I used the Sigma for the "E" is because I didn't think viewers would understand the sigma instead of the S, people might start calling it, Emper Exploro, and I don't need that.  ;D

And thanks for the advice for the PHP and SSI, I might do some experimenting with that. But as I said before first things first, I got about 10 pages to fix and a few more to revamp, plus I'm trying to add some new content with the revamp, so it's not just a visual update.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 03:46:05 PM by The_Captain »

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2009, 06:47:37 PM »
Bernd I was only talking about using the php "include" command if you know what I mean... I have a feeling it does what you had in mind with SSI. Using php would actually help you get your pages up quicker Captain...

Can you check your email in your profile, because thats the one I was sending them too... I'm not familiar with "ymail" myself...

Offline The_Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2009, 06:19:47 PM »
New Logos....

Here is both the new SE logo and the new Klingon section I will be adding, called "I.K.S. Kor"

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2009, 09:16:37 PM »
I tried sending you an email yesterday, let me know if you got it... I gave a description and sent you an old site that I did up a while ago as an example.

Offline The_Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2009, 09:35:57 PM »
It got through Cador...

Offline The_Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »
I just wanted to let everyone know, that SE is not dead. I have been really busy this past month in RL. So the revamp has taken much longer than expected.

Offline The_Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2009, 09:54:26 AM »
After being down for almost four months, Semper Exploro is now up! After the major revamp and some much needed fixing, Semper Exploro is here to serve the Star Trek Community. Check it out: www.semper-exploro.org

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2009, 06:41:02 PM »
I don't know if its just me or if you just didn't notice but there is a little bit of an alignment issue with the bottom part of your header image... not entirely sure what the problem is cased by but I think it might be because the table that the image is in is set to "center", changing it to left might just fix it for you.. just a suggestion... actually looking at the content pages I noticed there was a little issue with a blank black bar separating your navigation links and the bottom part of that image as well...

Other than that the site looks good, content pages look a little sparse but overall decent and easy to read, one other suggestion I would make is toning down the background images for the news and stuff on the main page.. right now it makes things a little hard to read... opening the images in photoshop and making them slightly transparent might really make things easier to read...

EDIT: Another little thing you might want to consider doing is removing the mailto link that you have on the contact page... you can find some pretty easy standalone scripts out there that would let you put a form contact page in there... protects you from alot of spam and actually makes things easier for people to contact you. Not everyone has Outlook (or other mail clients) actually set up on their computers...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 06:44:15 PM by Makaveli »

Offline The_Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2009, 04:37:15 PM »
Thanks Cador, you've been a huge help. I will look into all of these issues, and I am in the process of writting more articles at the moment. I will darken the News/Featured article backgrounds, I did it a little bit, but I can do more. Also I will check on the part of the "Black space", I'm not sure what that could be.. also, the header will stay in the Middle, I need to add a bottom to show where the header stops, maybe that is what you are talking about when you say "Black space". But thanks for your help, it is very appreciated and I am very thankful.