Author Topic: BSG 4x14 "A Disquiet Follows My Soul" - Discussion ($$$SPOILERS!!!$$$)  (Read 5902 times)

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
After last weeks stellar presentation, it would be almost impossible for this episode to measure up completely.  And as such, there was a definite sense of coming down from one high, and building towards the next.

I liked the squabbling between the factions in the government.  Even without having seen the preview for next weeks episode, it is fairly obvious that there's going to be some major showdown.
Man that preview looked bad ass, Adama and Tigh in the launch tube, guns in hands, holding back the insurrection.

I loved the scene between Gaeta and Kara, with her telling him she'd hit a cripple and would shoot him in his other leg.  I personally Kara follows through on that promise and kills Gaeta.

I also like that Tigh, seems to have simply settled back in as Adma's right hand man.  Granted, I doubt the two of them will ever be the same as they were, but for the time being it seems as though all is forgiven.

Six/Tigh baby....interesting.

As well as the revelation that Nikki is not Tyrol's son.  I can't see the Galen simply giving him up, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone tries to take him away from him.  I definitely didn't see the father being Hotdog.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 06:32:34 PM by Jimi James »
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
Re: BSG 4x14 "A Disquiet Follows My Soul" - Discussion ($$$SPOILERS!!!$$$)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 07:39:23 PM »
I didn't either, which kind of annoys me.  Not so much that I didn't see it as it doesn't make much sense.  It strikes me as a cop-out, but it may be interesting to see what they do with it as far as Tyrol and Hotdog raising the kid, because the way it looks, Tyrol is thinking about sharing custody with Hotdog.  Heh, a same-sex couple without them actually being a couple, that's a little more subtle that BSG has been lately. ;D

Gaeta gonna die - there's no other way now.  This is full on mutiny, and Adama was going to have Cally and the other strikers shot for just refusing to work.  I also doubt everyone on Galactica would follow Gaeta.  It also kind of annoys me how starkly Gaeta's personality has changed to where he would do this.

Oh, I'm betting that Zerrig is going to end up regretting this too.  For all his talk and bluster, I doubt he wanted it to go as far as it looks like it's going to go next week.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 08:39:04 PM »
It also kind of annoys me how starkly Gaeta's personality has changed to where he would do this.

I had that sort of in the back of my mind as the episode unfolded, but on the other hand, I think there have been enough seeds planted that it's reasonable.  You have his disillusionment with the government on New Caprica, losing a leg, the death of Dualla, etc.  He's often been commanded to follow questionable orders on numerous occasions without having his input really taken into account, and he's seen enough of Adama & Co making decisions of sometimes morally dubious or mythologically-inspired nature to think that he can do it better.

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 10:21:19 PM »
Watch the webisodes. His actions make alot more sense taking those into account.

Also that whole thing with Kara was just to get her out of the room so he could conspire with likeminded members of the crew in the mess. He's got some sizable support for his mutiny. I wouldn't be shocked if we had a few episodes where the mutiny has succeeded.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 10:23:56 PM by Flagg »

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 02:40:15 AM »
Pretty good episode. Tyrol finding out that his wife was a lying, cheating, whore, was nicely done.

I wonder what Hot Dog is going to do, now that he's forced to be a father all of a sudden.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 04:04:16 AM »
From beyond the grave, Cally continues to suck! By the power of a mighty Ass-Pull! Seriously did she ever even exchange a line with HotDog? I guess Ron just didn't want another half-cylon baby to worry about. Still it gives us more material regarding Tyrol's struggles with his cylon nature.

I don't quite have a handle on exactly what he's feeling yet. Two of the four seem fairly straightforward: Saul has decided to resolutely stick to being Adama's right hand, cylon nature be damned. Tory embraced the cylon-ness. Blanders I don't know about, we never seem to explore him much. Tyrol on the other hand we've seen a lot of, but he seems the most complex of them. He's upset, for sure, and has trouble with his pronouns... but has he decided who he really is? What's his motivation for attending the Cult of Baltar? I wonder if he's going to eventually get a hold on where he's going, or just finally break down.

Good to see the story following up on Saul and Caprica's baby. I'd like to see that explored further tho - are they in a relationship? In Love? Is Saul just suffering from Crazy and pretending she's Ellen? This subplot feels like an ass-pull too, but one with potential, re: the whole "cylons can have babies after all!" discovery.

Meanwhile Laura's decided to give up on that whole "president of teh colonies" thing, given how her whole mission ended on a radioactive wasteland. So she's stopped poisoning herself with cancer treatments just to prolong the inevitable and is enjoying little is left of her life. And.. the old man seems to have decided to join her on that line of thought.

Felix is kind of a little shit but also understandably broken (Flagg's right, you have to see those webisodes to get the full picture). The prospect of mutiny on the Galactica is pretty scary.

Back at the Cult of Baltar, what are they up to now? I kinda lost track, was ironing at the time. I thought he'd signed up to cylon monotheism but it seemed he was now cursing god?

Anyway this ep felt more like setup than events, but in a way that I want to see what happens next so that's fine.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 07:45:10 AM by Stoo »

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 09:45:46 AM »
Yeah, Baltar was cursing god.  Anyway, it was a good episode though mostly just set up for next week's (which looks to be awesome).  Too bad about Gaeta, I used to like him.  Guess I'll have to watch the webisodes...
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 06:36:49 PM »
Just an additional note about this episode, that I had forgotten about until listening the podcast commentary today.  This episode was Moore's directorial debut.  Additionally, an extended version of this episode will be on the DVD because quite a bit had to be cut out to make the needed run time. 

Additional scense include a longer scene aboard colonial one between Lee, Zarek, and the Quarem before they took the vote. 

Another scene, apparently changes the context of the scene when Adama leaves his quarters to find Roslin jogging the corridors.  Originally Adama goes down to the hangar deck to chew out the deck chief because a number of Vipers are still down for repairs and is then called from CIC about Roslin.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 01:32:21 AM »
Another scene, apparently changes the context of the scene when Adama leaves his quarters to find Roslin jogging the corridors.  Originally Adama goes down to the hangar deck to chew out the deck chief because a number of Vipers are still down for repairs and is then called from CIC about Roslin.

That was a bad editing choice then, because it made Adama look really OCD and kind of cold the way it was presented in the episode. Your girlfriend is out potentially running herself to death, and while I grant that the admiral has to be in uniform in front of the crew, I think you can skip brushing your teeth in that case.

What did the actress who plays Cally do to the writing staff on the show, because they sure as hell butchered her character in the past couple of seasons? I never really cared for her like some here did, but damn.

Good episode, despite only being a set-up for bigger and better things in the future. Loved the confrontation between Gaeta and Kara, and her reaction was perfect because blowing off his other leg was exactly what I wanted to do to that little shit too. As Flagg and Stoo said, 'The Face of the Enemy' webisodes do explain Gaeta's anger and bitterness much better (especially regarding the Cylons), though I personally found them to be kind of weak and it's not as if people on this show haven't gone off on weird uncharacteristic tangents before.

Offline caisson2delta

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 02:21:13 AM »
Not a bad episode at all. I am getting the feeling that there is going to be a major wrench in the plot that ends up having everyone saying WTF. I am very anxious how this will all turn out.

Offline Setekh

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 11:18:37 AM »

Funny...but curiously disturbing...

"You have always had a hard time finding your place in this world, haven't you? Never knowing your true worth? You can settle for less than an ordinary life. Now you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special?"    - Christopher Pike speaking to a young James T. Kirk

Offline mdtillard

• Darth Apocalypse, Sith Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My MySpace Page
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 07:18:04 PM »
http://hijinksensue.com/2009/01/26/if-this-battlestars-a-rockin/

I'll just leave this here.

Did any of you see the Lego Viper Bay that is linked to on that page?
Executor class Star Dreadnaught, 17.6km keel
x class Star Battleship, 12.8km keel
y class Star Battlecruiser, 8km keel
z class Star Cruiser, 2.2km keel
Imperator class Star Destroyer, 1.6km keel