Author Topic: 4x16 "Blood on the Scales" Discussion ($$SPOILERS!!$$)  (Read 9083 times)

Offline Alexzandyr

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
4x16 "Blood on the Scales" Discussion ($$SPOILERS!!$$)
« on: February 06, 2009, 11:38:01 PM »
So, wow...holy frakkin shit that was amazing.

Yeah it was a cop out that they didn't kill Tigh or Adama, but not really surprising. I like how it turned out that Zarek lied about Tigh though, to everyone at that. But yeah this episode was pretty awesome. Zarek reveals what has happened to the Quorum and what do they do, they prove they are good people after all and tell him to leave. Only for him to have them murdered.

Gaeta sees the error of his ways. As always he had good intentions but he ends up frakking things up. Him AND Zarek both get executed after Adama makes his badass retake of the ship. Also Roslin was scary as fuck with her refusal to surrender and threat "I'm coming for all of you!". Even the six next to her looked like she was about to shit herself.

Oh and we got a cool look at Galactica's jump drive...as Tyrol saves the day only to discover what appears to be a rather menacing fracture in a bulkhead. I imagine this will mean either help from the baseship or they'll have to leave galactica behind.

Offline Setekh

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
Re: 4x16 "Blood on the Scales" Discussion ($$SPOILERS!!$$)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 11:50:07 PM »
I felt that Gaeta had one last chance to make things right when he had to decide to execute Adama or not, and he made the wrong choice.

I think I would have liked to have seen the mutiny lasted longer than 2 episodes, but considering this is their last season, I guess it's better to wrap it up and get on to more story.

Sucks about the Quorum. Wonder what they are going to do about that.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 11:51:53 PM »
Fraking awesome episode.  Roslin's quote was awesome, I wanted to see her kick some ass though.  The look at the jump drive was pretty cool.  The scene with everyone in the cooridors joining Adama was pretty cool too, as was the actual retaking of the ship.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 12:01:57 AM »
Awesome episode, but really there were a lot more people who should've been in that launch tube with them.  At least Zarek and Gaeta got what was coming to them.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 12:12:13 AM »
Awesome.

I liked that Pegasus CAG (I don't recall his name) didn't try to apologize or make excuses for what he had done.  Like Gaeta, he had a real reason for doing what he had done, rather then just trying to gain power or get back at those that had done him wrong.

The march to CIC was bad ass, with the group getting bigger and bigger as they got closer.

I'm not sure that Gaeta really saw the error of his ways.  I think he simply knew that it was over and that he couldn't take it any further.  He might have eventually turned on Zarek because of the extremes that Zarek was going to, but I don't think he was there yet.

I hope they follow up on all of the loose ends, Anders, Kelly, Tyrol, and Baltar.  I wonder if Baltar is going to go back to Galactica or hang out on the Baseship?

Tori really is the most boring and unconvincing character on the show.  Most of the time, she had that same blank look on her face and says everything in that same emotionless tone.  There are a few exceptions but not many.  She's really a waste of a Cylon.

Once again, very cool to see Apollo and Starbuck kicking ass and taking names.

I liked the end scene before the execution with Gaeta and Baltar.  It had a strange sort of realism and calm given everything that had just happened.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Alexzandyr

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 12:39:32 AM »
Just a little side thing, but did anyone else notice the "1337 hours"?

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 08:31:51 AM »
No, but that is certainly befitting of the episode.  I loved how Galactica again had a feeling of bedlam and chaos.

- It did feel a bit rushed - especially how the march to the CIC worked.  Were the Adama loyalists stronger all along, and we just saw the rebels take strategic locations in short order in the previous episode?
- Wonder what the death count will be?
- The execution scene was really neat.  I liked Zarek and Gaeta smirking and exchanging looks--not smugly, more like 'you weren't who I thought you were'.  I also liked how Gaeta's phantom limb pain/itchiness stopped, sort of implying he was finally at peace after struggling to do the right thing and find his place after all these years.

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 03:24:06 AM »
Laura's speech from the baseship was awesome. Bill was badass. Also I love how Tyrol played an important part,  crawling around the guts of the ship and yanking a part out of the FTL.

Gaeta was clearly flagging in his determination at times, but Zarek was nuts. Kinda glad that Kelly was redeemed in the end. Oh and return of Romo!

I think it would have been braver in some ways to keep Galactica in rebel hands longer - as has been said the mutiny does feel all nicely resolved after just 2 eps - but maybe harder to fit that into the rest of the story.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 06:45:17 AM »
What was the point of showing the giant crack? Would the ship have blown up if they used the FTL or something?
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Stoo

• Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 07:04:45 AM »
I'm guessing it's an ominous hint at some upcoming problem.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 08:34:54 AM »
^^^You know I was thinking the scrolls of pythia refered to a dying leader.  maybe its not Roslin of Adama who's dying maybe its Galactica itself.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 09:56:07 AM »
Oh and return of Romo!

Yeah, him taking out that marine with a pen was pretty badass.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 10:02:57 AM »
^^^You know I was thinking the scrolls of pythia refered to a dying leader.  maybe its not Roslin of Adama who's dying maybe its Galactica itself.

It would make sense. In a much broader scale, the Galactica has practically been the leader of the fleet the entire time.

Oh, and it was also a good episode. Roslin's speech was badass. And the execution of Zarek and Gaeta was nicely done.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 11:07:15 AM »
What was the point of showing the giant crack? Would the ship have blown up if they used the FTL or something?

I think it's going to put a time limit on the number of jumps they can make in the future before Galactica breaks down, thus necessitating the use of the Cylon drives to find a new homeworld before that happens regardless of continued protest or not. I have a feeling Galactica's either going to die a fiery death or will set/crash down and become their home on a new planet (unless they find the real Earth).

I liked that the engine room was designed by the writers of that Galaxy Quest episode who should die.

As far as the kill count, they lost forty people from the previous episode in the opening scroll, plus however many were killed in this episode.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 11:17:13 AM »
The Canadian preview for 'No Exit' is even better and more revealing than the one we got:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbC4KkAUiL8

Looks awesome.

Offline Alexzandyr

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009, 11:23:29 AM »
Ooo, sounds like next episode is going to be frakking great. I look forward to seeing what the deal is with Ellen and finally Anders is going to serve a purpose.

Offline Stoo

• Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2009, 11:25:59 AM »
The engine room looked like the catwalk from the hangar deck set with some fairly-obiviously-CG giant pistons. But it was still pretty cool. I'm glad the FTL is something industrial-looking with big moving parts, a glowing column would hardly feel right.  ;D

Offline Alexzandyr

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 02:13:29 PM »
Well saw this on the sci-fi site, and it seems to confirm at least one thing:

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO NOT VIEW IF YOU DONT WANT TO BE SPOILED OF A POSSIBLE PLOT...

...FINAL WARNING...

OK YOU ASKED FOR IT!

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/youwillknowthetruth/index.php?pageid=140

Offline Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 03:47:03 PM »
^Judging by this and what Tyrol found, we can only come to one conclusion. Things will end up changing A LOT.

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2009, 06:33:02 PM »
Kindly enlighten those of us with shitty computers wtf you're talking about.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2009, 06:36:48 PM »
I think he's trying to say large cracks, and spaceships, don't mix.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Alexzandyr

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2009, 07:14:25 PM »
Yep, i was exaggerating with the spoilers for your benefit Flagg. But basically its a clip that shows that the Galactica is starting to show her age. Adama is in his quarters when he notices something in his bathroom mirror, with a horrified look on his face he examines a rather extensive crack running along the doorframe and up onto the ceiling.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2009, 02:17:21 AM »
Even on an old ship it seems odd that all of these cracks would just start to show up all of a sudden rather than gradually over years. Either all the explosions during the mutiny caused a problem (unlikely that it could have such wide ranging effects though) or someone has deliberately sabotaged Galactica with some sort of embrittling agent that's eating at the hull and causing cracks.

Offline Alexzandyr

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2009, 09:07:52 AM »
I think the impilication isn't that they just popped up, but rather that no one has noticed them. In a Pod Cast Moore commented that current the Galactica is understaffed, even with the Pegasus crew aboard. If you think about it Adama not noticing the one in his quarters is understandable. It is in a spot that one wouldn't normally look at and when he's in there he is usually focused on the problems of running the ship. Perhaps he didn't notice it was there when it has been for a while.

As Tigh mentioned a while ago, Galactica is in desperate need of several months in a drydock. I don't think we'll be seeing huge tears in the corridors or anything like that that people have somehow not noticed, but rather small ones like in Adama's quarters that could easily go unnoticed. Especially in the climate of choas that the ship has especially been undergoing since the escape from New Caprica.

Offline Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2009, 03:27:50 PM »
^Exactly. Everyone has been so busy doing other things and just nobody hadn't noticed until they finally stopped to take a breather.