Author Topic: $$$BSG 4x18 "Deadlock" - Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers!)$$$  (Read 4845 times)

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
Pretty good episode.  Ellen is back to acting like... Ellen, Head Six is back telling Baltar to arm his followers, Cylons are flying C.A.P. alongside the Galactica pilots, Boomer's in the brig (Galen ID'ed her just by looking at her), and Anders neural monitors are doing something.  4 episodes left...
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
Re: $$$BSG 4x18 "Deadlock" - Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers!)$$$
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 08:24:43 AM »
What a complete and utter waste of an episode so close to the finish. I thought I was watching 'Heroes' for a while with all the characters acting completely in contradiction to any growth they've had even as recently as the last episode.

Ellen went from all that interesting growth from the previous episode to vindictive and worthless Ellen from S1 & S2. Tyrol went from recommitting to being the Chief and reintegrating with the Colonials to just wanting to bail in the middle of a job; apparently he really does just not give a shit about Nicky now that he knows he's not the father. Adama arms Baltar's cult of all things, like you can't see trouble brewing there a mile down the road?

Hey, but at least we got a dozen different versions of the same shot of Adama essentially watching paint dry with a Six in the background. That's much better than anything that actually you know, advances the plot instead of going in reverse.

All the crap with Six and Tigh's baby was a waste of time now that she miscarried. All that crap with developing the Cylon/Human alliance seems to be on the verge of having been a complete waste of time.

What a disappointment. "D." Probably the worst episode of this season, unless I've blocked some of the many meandering stinkers from the first half of this season out of my mind.

And oh yay! Another trial coming up. That's just what we need.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 08:47:14 AM »
Hey, but at least we got a dozen different versions of the same shot of Adama essentially watching paint dry with a Six in the background. That's much better than anything that actually you know, advances the plot instead of going in reverse.

Watching this episode was like watching paint dry.

What the hell did they do to Ellen? From a loving person, back to a bitch, then to somewhere inbetween.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 08:49:32 AM »
Agreed, that was really disappointing. 

Ellen's reversion to the Ellen of old really didn't make much sense and kind of torpedoed the episode, especially considering how aware and worldly she was last episode.  I could understand her regressing a bit due to seeing Tigh and being with the fleet again, but she seemed to skip over her characterization in the resistance angle and go right back to being drunken mood-swinging sex kitten Ellen.  The Six baby saga and accompanying weird "all you need is love" stuff in this episode was also just bizarre and terrible.

Baltar's actions seemed out of character too, considering in the last episodes he seemed to be tiring of his sycophants.  He's still concerned about self-preservation, but all of a sudden he cares about giving? 

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought paint drying got slightly old after the fifteenth or so time.  Damn though, those first seven times it was riveting.

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 10:19:26 AM »
I think Baltar's sudden burst of compassion was to regain control of his Cult, after feeling sidelined. Especially by that one woman who had obviously become skeptical of him.

I was disappointed to see the return of Bitchy Venemous Ellen myself.

Also what was with Laura's weak cringing conversation with Caprica?

Definitely the weakest ep of S4.5 so far.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 12:00:41 AM »
What a complete and utter waste of an episode so close to the finish. I thought I was watching 'Heroes' for a while with all the characters acting completely in contradiction to any growth they've had even as recently as the last episode.

Ellen went from all that interesting growth from the previous episode to vindictive and worthless Ellen from S1 & S2. Tyrol went from recommitting to being the Chief and reintegrating with the Colonials to just wanting to bail in the middle of a job; apparently he really does just not give a shit about Nicky now that he knows he's not the father. Adama arms Baltar's cult of all things, like you can't see trouble brewing there a mile down the road?

All the crap with Six and Tigh's baby was a waste of time now that she miscarried. All that crap with developing the Cylon/Human alliance seems to be on the verge of having been a complete waste of time.

What a disappointment. "D." Probably the worst episode of this season, unless I've blocked some of the many meandering stinkers from the first half of this season out of my mind.

And oh yay! Another trial coming up. That's just what we need.
I really couldn't say it any better, and I agree completely.  Here's what I predict will happen:
  • The trial will gobble up at least two episodes while they struggle over whether to kill Boomer or not, and they'll probably have Athena come out against her, but in the end she'll be spared after much angst.
  • During those same two episodes, Caprica Six will break up with Tigh or die, and he and Ellen will hook back up.
  • The last two episodes will be a two-parter, with Anders waking up, telling them how to find the "real" Earth, and it somehow all being explained in a really elaborate and contrived manner in order to resolve basically everything they've left hanging.
  • Roslin dies with much Adama angst, but he promises to live up to the original promise he made at the end of the miniseries.
  • A minor rebellion from Baltar and his minions will be shoe-horned into this somehow, with Baltar being killed to resolve it (probably to balance out Roslin's death in the minds of the writers).
  • They get to Earth, find it inhabited by humans and cylons living in peace, and this is also the last jump Galactica is able to make.
  • Cavil and a few basestars show up to dell out bloody revenge, forcing Galactica and the rebel basestar to sacrifice themselves, but saving the fleet and their new home.
  • Whoever's left lives mostly happily ever after, the end.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 09:41:34 AM »
Found an interview with the writer of this episode.  Apparently there were some cut scenes explaining a little better why they armed Baltar's cult.

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2009/02/battlestar-galactica-deadlock-jane-espenson.html#more
Why would Adama -- with Roslin and Lee's apparent agreement -- give Baltar's fringe faction lots of large guns? I know Adama hasn't been himself lately, but this seems like a bad idea.

Adama is having trouble maintaining order on the ship.  He lost a lot of marines during the mutiny.  If he doesn't get some sort of force that can keep the civilians under control, he will have to consider using Centurions from the base ship, and he fears a civilian insurrection if he did so.  Baltar says that this is the last human solution, and Adama has to agree. 

Apparently the scene from the beginning where the marines are handing out food and there is a riot was originally longer too.  Apparently the marines leave after the riot starts because they are so outnumbered and then the Sons of Aries show up and steal the food.  Now why couldn't they cut about 5 or 6 of the "Adama watches the repairs" scenes instead of that one...
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 03:24:59 AM »
Oh. yeah, that really should have been left in.

The need for peacekeepers was sort of shown - we've seen foot riots and the Sons of Ares causing trouble. But if the situation was desperate enough that arming the Cult of Baltar was seen as the least bad answer, that needed explaining better.

I don't recall quite as many Paint Drying scenes as people here seem to, but that could be because i was too occupied with being annoyed at Tiresome Ellen.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 07:44:15 AM »
Why not simply train a civilian volunteer force as police/peacekeepers with extra rations/better accommodations or other such perks as an added incentive over and above standard pay? It's not like Baltar's Angels are trained in urban warfare and riot suppression, and they're obviously completely clueless on how to use guns given the "you left the safety on" scene.

A lot of the problems on Galactica seem to stem from having a large number of people who simply have nothing to do except dwell on their admittedly horrifying lot in life all day long while sleeping in their hovels and waiting in line for algae slop. By giving them a task which benefits the fleet, it will raise morale by making them feel they have a genuine purpose in life, and will also provide a distraction from the endless boredom and tragedy that is the reality of their current lives.

Instead, Adama hands a bunch of high powered weapons to completely untrained members of a cult which owes it's allegiance to someone who has been proven to be untrustworthy on numerous occasions. The Kool-Aid and bullets will flow like wine soon enough.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 09:09:35 PM »
Found an interview with the writer of this episode.  Apparently there were some cut scenes explaining a little better why they armed Baltar's cult.

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2009/02/battlestar-galactica-deadlock-jane-espenson.html#more
Why would Adama -- with Roslin and Lee's apparent agreement -- give Baltar's fringe faction lots of large guns? I know Adama hasn't been himself lately, but this seems like a bad idea.

Adama is having trouble maintaining order on the ship.  He lost a lot of marines during the mutiny.  If he doesn't get some sort of force that can keep the civilians under control, he will have to consider using Centurions from the base ship, and he fears a civilian insurrection if he did so.  Baltar says that this is the last human solution, and Adama has to agree. 

Apparently the scene from the beginning where the marines are handing out food and there is a riot was originally longer too.  Apparently the marines leave after the riot starts because they are so outnumbered and then the Sons of Aries show up and steal the food.  Now why couldn't they cut about 5 or 6 of the "Adama watches the repairs" scenes instead of that one...
Who edits these episodes?  They need to be fired.  >:(
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR