Author Topic: Lingering Questions (Spoilers Through Current Episodes)  (Read 5619 times)

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
Lingering Questions (Spoilers Through Current Episodes)
« on: February 23, 2009, 06:16:52 AM »
- What happened to the Centurions that wiped out nearly all of the Thirteenth Tribe on "Earth"? Is there a group of millenia old Cylon Centurions out there running around the galaxy, or have they settled a new homeworld? 

- What was the cataclysm that caused Kobol to have to be evacuated and caused mass deaths? Was the Thirteenth Tribe responsible for starting a war? Were they rebelling against their human masters, thus the reason that humanoid Cylons - and only humanoid Cylons - were exiled to Earth as the Thirteenth Tribe and not allowed to live with humans? Or did some Cylons choose to stay with humans and the Thirteenth Tribe just decided to settle apart on their own. Their relations with humans seemed amicable enough considering they were willing to undertake a multi-millenia (from outisder's perspective) relativistic journey to warn them of potential trouble with the Centurions (I guess they've never heard of this nifty invention called "radio." Turns out that it can travel through space too, and at the speed of light even! Might have gotten there a tad bit sooner).

- How was Ellen Tigh able to pinpoint the location of the Colonial Fleet after escaping Cavil, and why hasn't anyone raised the issue of "Holy fuck, apparently some Cylons can detect and track the Final Five from thousands of light years away"? Why is no one a bit worried that this might bring Cavil close on Ellen's heels? I don't expect an answer on this one to be forthcoming, because I think it was just a bit of lazy writing like the rest of that episode, but it was odd.

- Is Daniel (#7) Starbuck's father? Her reaction to Sam mentioning his name could indicate either disappointment in not getting an explanation for her life and recent events, or it could have indicated some sort of recognition of the name. He's an artist like Starbuck, and clearly wouldn't have been brought up unless he's going to play a role in future episodes, which implies that his death by Cavil wasn't as final as it seemed and he may have found a way to rebuild resurrection on his own or with the help of Ellen Tigh. He could have passed on the ability to resurrect genetically or technologically to his daughter, thus explaining her reappearance after death. He was also possibly a tinkerer who liked to repair old vehicles and might have passed that on to his daughter (Starbuck's gas-powered Hummer on Caprica for instance), which might explain why there was a Mk. 2 Viper in cherry condition on Earth for Starbuck to fly back to Galactica after hers was destroyed.

- Could some remnant of the destroyed Daniels also be inhabiting the programming of the other Skinjobs? Could he be "God," guiding their actions from afar "by his command"? If so, why so much hate for the humans, or does he believe genocide is justifiable to force a human/Cylon hybrid society into being?

- Are the people who have visions of Cylons and past/future events in their heads descendants of humanoid Cylons from when they originally lived among humans on Kobol? Do they share that ability to connect with other Cylon minds to a degree?

- If Cavil is such a whiny little bitch about his limited human form, why the hell hasn't he built himself a giant spacefaring transformable flying robot body with guns / missiles and full EM sensors for watching supernovae? He's built new "metal bodies" in the form of the enhanced Centurions, Raiders, and Basestars, so why has he not created a new form for his own body? It's not like he couldn't resurrect if his test runs on downloading himself had failed. That whole complaint just came off like a petulant child, which I guess was the point, but it didn't make much sense when I see no reason why he couldn't have everything he wanted. Is there some sort of limiting software on the Cylon Skinjobs making drastic alterations to themselves? Cavil can make minor programming adjustments apparently, but maybe he's not capable of making big changes like those he desired.

- Seriously, who arms Baltar's cult? A lot of things went wrong at Waco, but at least you can't say that the ATF gave the Branch Davidians the guns in the first place. Then again, the Galactica Marines aren't much of an improvement, since apparently they will kill indiscriminately for anyone in the same room with them who speaks authoritatively first. It's sort of like calling "shotgun" (now with real shotguns included!) with control of the Marines being the desired passenger seat spot. It's kind of sad when the Centurions do come off as the best alternative, yet that's somewhere you can't go because it will start a revolt. I don't expect an answer for this, just venting on the stupid that was the last episode.

- What happened to the minor mutineers like Racetrack, Psycho-Seelix, and Sgt. Raper McSexcrime? Narcho obviously is in the brig because he actually stuck to his guns and has a shitty callsign that sounds like he's either a narc or nachos, but I was hoping for some resolution on the others and to see some verbal/physical conflict between the loyalists and mutineers who were friends up to that moment. Is sadsack Captain Kelly forgiven because he switched sides and had a Lifetime movie of the week crying moment, even though he had been in the brig for previous crimes up until he joined the mutiny? I mean, at least Narcho has some principles he stood up for and was willing to accept the consequences unlike some who switched back and forth depending on which way the wind was blowing. I was almost willing to forgive Racetrack because she's hot and I've seen her naked in movies, but her fake laughing to Zarek's bad jokes and sucking up to him after murdering innocent people really rubbed me the wrong way.

- Is the Cylon "plan" really just to make the Final Five suffer to the point where they admit to their children that they were wrong? If so, worst plan ever. And why wouldn't Ellen (or Helen as Tigh sometimes calls her - not knowing his wife's name and all) tell the other Cylons that as she arrived? Tory is an vacant moron now, so it probably wouldn't effect her, but the others would probably be less sympathetic towards the Skinjobs if they knew this. 

Any other questions you want answered before the series ends?

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
Re: Lingering Questions (Spoilers Through Current Episodes)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 10:24:18 AM »
I'm curious as to whatever happened to that little brat that sat second seat to Boomer in the miniseries, since he seems to disappear after that.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 11:51:16 AM »
Boxey. He's the other possibility for Daniel AKA Cylon #7. He got "boxed." "Boxey." Indeed. ;D

Offline caisson2delta

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 05:00:46 PM »
I'm curious as what ever became of Starbuck's ovary. Did it have something to do with her coming back? Perhaps she is some sort of clone or something.

Offline Setekh

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 11:48:09 PM »
I still don't understand what happened to the Lawyer's cat.

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 05:17:50 AM »
It got killed, he kept it in his bag.

I'm wondering if Imaginary Six will ever be fully explained! And Caprica's imaginary Baltar. And, er, Baltar's imaginary Baltar.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 06:30:03 AM »
^^^I get the feeling we'll find out about them when they get to the real Earth.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 06:32:05 AM »
2 years ago, if they mentioned Daniel, I would have guessed he was dead, and would stay dead. Now, since they mentioned him, there's a 95% chance Daniel is alive, somewhere.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline mark

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 05:10:08 AM »
I'm curious as what ever became of Starbuck's ovary. Did it have something to do with her coming back? Perhaps she is some sort of clone or something.

If she came back with her tattoos, you'd think she probably would come back with the same number of ovaries too. Yet the viper she showed up in was in mint condition.
"Even if a hundred percent of the people polled like f%#&ing Hobbit movies, they still suck." --Penn Jillette

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 08:09:55 AM »
Why did Boomer go from being a sympathetic character to being basically as evil as Cavil?
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline Setekh

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 12:12:22 PM »
Were they playing the Titanic theme at the end of this past episode?

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 12:53:15 PM »
No, it was one of the themes from the show.  I think it was one of the several variations on the Adama and Lee theme.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 02:53:55 AM »
^^^ Yep. It's called 'Wander my Friends':

After Adama comes to terms with what he must do, he breaks the news to Col. Tigh.  The Military Theme was the obvious choice to underscore this scene, since it accompanies all the moments between these two life-long friends.  However, when I played around with the scene, I felt that the Military Theme lacked the proper emotional punch.  This final scene needed to give audiences chills down the spine, and it simply wasn’t working for me.

The theme I believe accomplished this turned out to be “Wander My Friends:”

Eric Rigler put down the shofar, sipsi and conch and played a heartbreakingly simple solo statement of it on the Irish whistle, taking us over the cut to black.

“Wander My Friends” is typically reserved for storylines about Adama’s family, but I realized here that Tigh, the crew and the Galactica are his family now.  My hope is that hearing this melody against this scene subconsciously brought this idea to mind for the audience.

And as for the “chills down the spine” I was hoping for, this scene certainly works for me now.