Author Topic: $$$BSG 4x19 "Someone to watch over me" Discussion and review thread (spoilers!)  (Read 5922 times)

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
No trial, Tyrol acts like a dumbass and lets Boomer go and she kidnaps Hera and escapes in a Raptor.  Meanwhile Kara has an imaginary friend teach her how to play a song on the piano that her daddy taught her, and it's the same song that activated the Saul and the others (Oh, and Hera drew out the notes for the song and gave them to Kara).  Anders is still in a coma but has unusual brain activity going on and his eyes are open.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
Best opening teaser ever.

Even knowing that the show is ending, I'm still surprised how the just keep pummeling the Galactica.  Also a bit surprised they haven't offed anyone else.

I kept waiting for Starbuck and her dad (that was so her dad) to start playing the Phillip Glass piece that we heard in season 2 when Starbuck and Helo were hanging out in her apartment.  Granted, that would have made it blatantly obvious, but still it would have been a nice touch.

I wonder if Roslin is dead (probably not) and what her connection to Hera is beyond the visions she had earlier.

Interesting to see that the Rebel Cylons have formed some sort of government and elected a leader/representative to the new quorum.

Three episodes left.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
Why, oh why do they have to keep doing stupid shit, and putting things off until the next episode this close to the end of the series?

That being said, I find the fact Tyrol and Boomer were able to share that weird imaginary world stuff that the cylons were shone to be able to do in S3.  The thing I don't get though is the damage the FTL jump did to Galactica considering that several Raptors jumped just as closely to Pegasus during that ship's final moments and nothing happened?
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
Why, oh why do they have to keep doing stupid shit, and putting things off until the next episode this close to the end of the series?

That being said, I find the fact Tyrol and Boomer were able to share that weird imaginary world stuff that the cylons were shone to be able to do in S3.  The thing I don't get though is the damage the FTL jump did to Galactica considering that several Raptors jumped just as closely to Pegasus during that ship's final moments and nothing happened?

I seem to recall Pegasus blowing up like 3 seconds later.

Offline Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile

Boomer's Raptor was only a few meters away Galactica's Hull. The ones jumping from Pegasus were far away enough that the FTL's effect didn't damage the hull...and the fact Pegasus was much larger than Galactica and the flight pods were further out. That's how I see it. Pegasus' hull was in better shape too.

I liked this ep, but like CX said, why the stupid stuff, why such a plot-twist this late in the game?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 05:23:12 AM by Jon »

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
^^^ Yeah, but a few episodes ago you had the Tillium Ship with it's much higher mass jumping quite literally as a Raptor landed on its hull and all it did was bump it away a little bit with no damage. This was comparable to when Galactica jumped over New Caprica and sucked all the air into the void with it. It's been kind of inconsistently depicted.

This episode was about 4/5ths waste of time and 1/5th awesome. The opening montage with Starbuck and the toothpaste showing the monotony of daily life and the declining conditions of both ship and crew was good. When the music transitioned into 'All Along the Watchtower' that was amazing. Brilliantly done. The tension remained up from there with Boomer kidnapping Hera and escaping through the closing pod bay doors (HAL/Hoshi should have started closing them when Adama asked the first time).

It seems that a lot of the mutineers didn't return to duty after all, with Hoshi serving as LSO (No forgiveness for you Captain Kelly! Suck it, bitch!) and no sign of Racetrack in the squadron ready room.

So, we pretty much get confirmation of my theory that Daniel the 7th Cylon and Kara's dad Dreilede Thrace are one and the same person, and that Kara was the first Cylon/Human hybrid. Interestingly, Dreilede means "third eyelid" in German, which corresponds to the mystical concept of the "third eye/inner eye":

The third eye (also known as the inner eye) is a mystical and esoteric concept referring in part to the ajna (brow) chakra in certain Eastern and Western spiritual traditions. It is also spoken of as the gate that leads within to inner realms and spaces of higher consciousness. In New Age spirituality, the third eye may alternately symbolize a state of enlightenment or the evocation of mental images having deeply-personal spiritual or psychological significance. The third eye is often associated with visions, clairvoyance, precognition, and out-of-body experiences, and people who have allegedly developed the capacity to use their third eyes are sometimes known as seers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_eye

Appropriate given Kara's visions of Earth and her father / Daniel. The question is is whether Daniel is alive and resurrected on Earth or just a memory appearing in Starbuck's and the other Cylon's minds as "God," guiding their path. Someone had to help Starbuck resurrect and give her a new Viper.

Hera agreed with Starbuck when she said she was "drawing the stars." She didn't mention anything about musical notes. I think 'All Along the Watchtower' is actually a musical-based mathematical course heading to the "real" Earth, rather than the Earth of the 13th tribe, hence the music playing when the camera zoomed out of the galaxy and back in to our Earth (with an obvious North American continent whereas Earth of the 13th tribe showed no recognizable landmasses). Galactica only has one or two jumps left in her, so they'll have to make it count, which is where the musical map comes into play.

So the stage is set for a showdown at Earth between Cavil's forces and a dying Galactica and the rebel Basestar.

I'll give this episode a "B" because of the good beginning and the excellent recovery at the end, but I'd really wish they wouldn't mosey along so slowly towards the end.

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
I thought the parts with Kara and Daniel were quite touching. A better ep than last week for sure, although it was indeed slow at times.

Also Boomer must die! That was pretty brutal, beating the shit out of Athena then screwing helo in front of her. Then stealing her daughter.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
I wouldn't mind the pacing were this the middle of season 3, but knowing this was the fourth to the last episode ever gives it a much greater sense of urgency, and I really don't think they can afford to pull the traditional "Oh, we'll just pack all the real developments into the last five minutes of the episode" crap anymore this close to end.

If some major questions don't get answered, and they did a bunch of filler to avoid those questions since they were raised without thinking of an answer at the time, that will be extremely disappointing and a real cop-out.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
I'm sure that's what will happen though.  Looks like my predictions about a two-episode trial were wrong, but there's probably going to be a fight with Cavil's forces, with Hera being held as hostage, and probably a daring rescue before Cavil's basestar is destroyed.

Offline Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
I'm sure that's what will happen though.  Looks like my predictions about a two-episode trial were wrong, but there's probably going to be a fight with Cavil's forces, with Hera being held as hostage, and probably a daring rescue before Cavil's basestar is destroyed.

Probably ending with the Galactica going the way like Pegasus.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
I still find Galactica's change from everything appearing to be operating fairly normally (for an old ship) to rusty Pinto mode to be a bit abrupt and unrealistic. Shit doesn't just go from completely unnoticed to widespread catastrophic level overnight unless no one has been doing their job at all. Some of these problems should have popped up before instead of it all of a sudden groaning and shaking like it's going to fly apart at any moment.

Offline Stoo

• Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
It does seem abrupt. To rationalise it i guess we'd have to say that with the ship undercrewed, a lot of regular checks, routine maitenance etc has been missed. I mean Tyrol is the chief of the flight deck; in normal conditions would hull repairs even be his responsibility?

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
RDM mentioned in his podcast that there are so few Marines that only the most vital sections of the ship are being protected.  Like the Flight Deck, CIC, the engine room, anything that has to do with keeping the ship running or fighting.  The rest of it is sort of an open no mans land, where there are gangs and it's not even safe for Adama to go.  So I think it's entirely reasonable that a lot of the maintenance that should have been done and even noticing that the ship is showing her age, has slipped by because there are just not enough people to do it.

And like Stoo said, why is the deck chief conducting hull repairs?  Unless the people that such a job would fall to are not available.  So in that case, it really doesn't become aparent how bad the damage is/was until someone stumbles upon it.

I'm a bit surprised the Galactica has held up for as long as she has, given everything she's been through.  I would imagine that there is only so much damage you can repair without the aid of a drydock and with the ship almost constantly on the move, they've somehow managed to keep her in fighting form over the years.  That's damn impressive, but the damage we're seeing now is stuff they couldn't tackle without a drydock, so it's gotten exponentially worse to the point we see her in now, where if Adama sneezes too hard the Galactia is likely to implode.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
Apparently Galactica doesn't have a chief engineer...

Offline Stoo

• Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
Well, not anymore. Tyrol's probably the most senior guy left standing with any knowhow in these areas.