Author Topic: [MA] memory-alpha.org now owned by Wikia  (Read 4943 times)

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
[MA] memory-alpha.org now owned by Wikia
« on: March 02, 2009, 06:34:30 PM »
I found this only by chance, because I am not a regular at MA (although perhaps I should have been):
http://memory-alpha.org/en/index.php?title=Forum:Wikia_now_owns_memory-alpha.org&t=20090228123541

So far Memory Alpha used to be on the servers of Wikia (the company of the Wikipedia founder) for technical reasons, thereby profiting from their server bandwidth and the wiki software, while being obliged to undergo certain "upgrades" and display increasingly annoying and slow loading flash ads (I am blocking most of them with a Firefox plugin). Now it seems that Wikia has requested MA to become fully incorporated in some fashion. Dan and Harry may have had no other chance but to sell the memory-alpha.org domain to Wikia.

While this step may not directly affect the content at MA (other than being polluted by perhaps even more ads), it is sad to see this great independent fan effort be turned into another highly commercialized platform of a big company.

Sure, with fans donating far more than perhaps 200 dollars a year the site may have remained independent despite its data volume. I admit I didn't donate. Yet, with already three or four ad blocks per page (initially there was none) I thought Wikia was satisfied and there was a chance to maintain MA's status as an independently run affiliate. I was mistaken.

The destiny of MA further illustrates the motto of Web 2.0: subordinate to your host and its ads or die.

P.S. Even though it costs me a lot of money, I have secured the EAS domains forever, and I swear that there will never be any ads. I will not let anyone else control a single pixel. Take me at my word.

Offline Shik

• There's a million things I haven't done
    • View Profile
Re: [MA] memory-alpha.org now owned by Wikia
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 10:29:14 PM »
Is there no way to host a wiki on one's own site?

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 06:24:13 PM »
Is there no way to host a wiki on one's own site?

I think that may have been an option. Find a friendly server owner, install an inexpensive wiki software (even if it has a few less options that at Wikia) and pay the bandwidth with a combination of donations and decent ads that the administrators can pick themselves.

It may be in the fine print of the contract with Wikia that MA has to stay there forever though. But I never understood anyway why MA is said to have so much profited from the other sites hosted at Wikia. I bet that by far the most visitors come from the Trek realm, and from Google of course, rather than through banners from an unrelated wiki site. And the vast majority of contributors are Trek fans, rather than people who care about the Pokemon wiki or Uncyclopedia. The community aspect at Wikia is vastly overrated, and if with anyone else, MA should rather have joined forces with a big news site such as Trekmovie.com or a major forum such as Trekbbs.com.

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 09:58:30 PM »
I know that its pretty easy to set up a wiki on a sever, I set one up way back in the day for VST. The software was actually pretty decent once you got used to it, it was the exact same as what that use on wikipedia itself and as far as I can remember it was free. Anyways if things came down to it doesn't memory alpha just have the option of moving? With most of the hosting plans you can get out there now you get insane amounts of bandwidth, so there really shouldn't be much worries about bandwidth overages.

Anyways just think it might be an option worth looking into if they dont want to give up something that they have no doubt but a huge amount of work into... but thats just my 2cents
N.I.G.G.A. - Never Ignorant Gettin' Goals Acomplished
"If a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
CIDvision :: the breen war :: trekonline

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 03:24:50 AM »
This sort of issue came up with the Transformers related wiki, but in their case they had had enough of the ads in articles and other 'modifications' Wikia had made. They've since moved to their own domain, even though the wikia version is still open.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline BorgMan

• Global Moderator
  • Artistic Assimilator
    • View Profile
    • Visionm.nl
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 05:26:56 AM »
Wait, does that mean that the guys behind the site can move away but that the Wikia version will stay open, although it won't be updated a lot anymore? Damn...
*Doorbell Sound*

"Hi, I am Elder 14 of 37 and this is my traveling companion Sister 29 of 128. We represent the Borg..."
"Oh Roddenbery, you guys again? Look, it's 8 in the morning and I don't have time for you OK? I told you last week..."
"But... Assimilation... Holopamflet!"
"Yeah right, you can leave it here but I'll throw it on the rest of the bunch I got from your other 'brothers' and 'sisters'. Now scram before I call the 8472 Squad!"

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »
In the case of the TF wiki. They both get updated, it's just that the wikia version has reverted a lot more of the article edits made, spammers and such, than the independent TF wiki.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing