Author Topic: "Buried Age"  (Read 3182 times)

Offline Kestra

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
"Buried Age"
« on: March 03, 2009, 03:46:23 PM »
Continued from this topic in the Gen Trek forum ...

Jimi & Chem, did you guys ever get around to reading 'The Buried Age' by Christopher L. Bennett by any chance? Judging by your comments above, you'd likely enjoy it a great deal since it it deals with the Battle of Maxia, what Picard was doing between the Stargazer and the Enterprise-D, and how he came to form the crew of the Enterprise. It's got a very epic scifi concept as the primary storyline as well - it's not just a bland Picard biographical tale. I remember you expressing some interest in the book at the time, Chem, but I don't recall if you eventually read it. Anyway, I highly recommend it, and I've yet to be disappointed by one of Bennett's books.

"Buried Age" was by far one of the best Trek books I have read in a long time.  I think the author did an excellent job in several respects.  Reading the novel felt like a journey in itself; the feel of the book and the plot changed as Picard's life did.  It felt like a totally different book at the end of it, and I found myself thinking on previous events and wondering "was that really all in this book?"

I was worried that having so many familiar characters would be a disaster, but it wasn't at all.  He really did justice to them, especially Data.  I think with that interaction, he added a lot of depth to not just Data's character, but Picard's and their relationship as well.

The aliens were really unique too.  I mean, all of them added something different.  It's interesting to see how motives and values can take species in entirely different directions.  Lots to think about there.

Okay, it helps that I was already a Picard fan but honestly, an excellent read.
... dancing in the night in the middle of June ...

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
Re: "Buried Age"
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 01:42:04 AM »
I don't know if you care about checking on all the little in-references made in the novel or not, but if so, the author's annotation page is a big help in pointing out just who such and such is, or other interesting little facts, like the whole "Tasha in a Carnellian minefield" thing being a brief reference from TNG turned into a full side-story here. The site appears to be down at the moment for some reason, but I'm sure he'll get it back up soon.

I loved this book, and it's easily one of my favorite Trek novels of all time. The scale of it is amazing, and I love the ways he so deftly ties in an archeological story, ten years of Picard's life, the intro to the TNG crew, a lot of background characters like young Janeway, and the introduction to some truly original alien species like you said, plus explanations for where all those bitter old noncorporeal "Gods" from TOS came from. You could easily get buried (pardon the pun) under all that continuity and new ideas, but it never feels like too much information.

The three-part structure of the book really helps as well, and truly does make it feel like you're getting three equally interesting books in one, yet they all tie together as well.

I'm glad you like it, it's a great read. And I'd highly recommend Bennet's other books to you as well, because he's in my mind the most consistently thought-provoking and entertaining writer in Trek right now. His X-Men and Spider-Man books are great as well.