Author Topic: $$$BSG 4x20 "Islanded in a Stream of Stars" Discussion thread (spoilers)  (Read 5684 times)

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
no-one else seems to have stepped into the breech, so I Poast Thrad!

I liked the unrelenting bleakness - Galactica continues to fall apart, civillian leaders circle like vultures for something to salvage, and finally the old man giving up. Oh and that moment with Lee and Kara at the end was really touching.

Otherwise though, not a whole lot happened. Well, we learned that Hera can project, but we might have guessed that anyway. We also learned that Kara really did die but again, whatever weirdness is going on, i hadn't really thought otherwise. I don't really get why Blanders starts babbling like a hybrid when plugged into computers.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 03:07:41 PM by Stoo »

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
I'm kind of depressed that Galactica is suddenly going to shit after all she's been through.  I'm guessing that they're planning on a viking funeral in any case.  I'm also pissed that Boomer has become a psycho botch from hell pretty much ever since New Caprica..  Another depressing and yet amusing note is that the new quorum is more worried about picking over Galactica's corpse than about being completely dependent on a fucked up cylon basestar for their only protection.  On another note, something like this is why you should never name your show after a ship.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline Alexzandyr

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
One thing, "There's a hole in the bucket dear liza dear liza, there's a hole in the bucket dear liza a hole". Spoken of course by Anders, and was delightfully funny...especially since I had to learn that song in the second grade.

I don't think that he's speaking gibberish because he's hooked up, I think its for the same reason that the hybrids do...he's been hooked in to whatever it is that is manipulating everything. He's gone in to total "word salad" mode, and at the same time is telling Kara that she is the harbinger of death. Other than that it was a nice touch that every time he blinked the power flickered and the lights blinked.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
One thing, "There's a hole in the bucket dear liza dear liza, there's a hole in the bucket dear liza a hole". Spoken of course by Anders, and was delightfully funny...especially since I had to learn that song in the second grade.

Oh that was a song.  Huh...

I liked this episode but it was mostly setup for the finale.  There were a few of the old Cylon raiders at the colony.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
Voyager VI was created by man. It explored. It evolved. It joined with its creator. Then none of its cybernetic children ever moved out of the house. There are many copies living at home, calling V'Ger "The Colony" like they own the place. And they have no plans.

When Boomer and Hera's raptor first exited the jump, I bet that was totally supposed to be Callisto, Jupiter, and the Sun (albeit better situated to fit the screen).

According to Bear McCreary's blog, the reason we don't see Chief Tyrol in this episode was because in a deleted scene, it was revealed that he was in the brig, so obviously they knew he was in on Boomer's escape. That was sort of a given that they would put two and two together, but I could have used that scene (and maybe a glimpse of some of the mutineers in there with him before some of them volunteer for the mission next week like Racetrack - as seen in the preview) rather than yet another scene of Adama breaking down and throwing things, and yet another scene of Jackson Pollocking the Galactica with Cylon jizz paint. I love the guy, and he's been through a lot, but enough already.

Not only are many of the dialog scenes expanded, but there are several scenes that were cut entirely from the show that required substantial original music.  One of these scenes established that Tyrol is now in the brig for his role in Boomer’s escape and kidnapping of Hera.  I was disappointed that this story point was cut from the episode, since Chief’s arc last week was so emotionally powerful.
http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/?p=1671

I was hoping something a little more profound would emerge from Ander's gibberish, other than things we already know like Kara being the harbinger of death. I think having Boomer grow to care for Hera is a sign that they'll have her sacrifice herself to save Hera and return her to her parents during the attack.

It's hard to mark this episode too low given that it had numerous really powerful dramatic interpersonal scenes (Kara/Baltar, Baltar/Six, Tigh/Ellen ((good to have new Ellen back)), Lee/Kara ((very sweet)), Adama/Roslin, Tigh/Adama ((sad, but still a great display of their friendship and love of the ship))), but other than that it didn't really advance the plot all that much, which would again be forgivable were it not the third to last episode. We didn't really learn anything new that wasn't shown earlier or that we couldn't figure out for ourselves. So, I'll give the episode a "B" for some bittersweet scenes to close out the series, but an annoying lack of plot development and answering of questions.

I'm kind of depressed that Galactica is suddenly going to shit after all she's been through.  I'm guessing that they're planning on a viking funeral in any case.

I bet you anything she dies ramming and destroying The Colony. I can see Bill going down with the ship (especially if Laura dies first or comes with him on the suicide mission, because the "dying leader" doesn't reach Earth), but then Tigh would choose to die too, so I wonder if something's going to happen to get him off the ship, like Bill and Ellen conspiring and spiking his booze or something. 

Then Lee takes over as actual rather than acting President, Boomer returns Hera, they match the 'All Along the Watchtower' notes with the first raptor jump after a hint from Hera, and find the "real" Earth. "Humanities end" is not extinction but Cylons and Humans living together in peace and having lots of Hybrid babies which form a new species now that they're no longer being punished by "God."

Another depressing and yet amusing note is that the new quorum is more worried about picking over Galactica's corpse than about being completely dependent on a fucked up cylon basestar for their only protection.

The Baseship has at least partially repaired itself I believe, and will probably be fully repaired in time. The arm is not as jacked up as it used to be, and some of the holes are patched up.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 02:47:11 AM by Bond, James Bond »

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
When Boomer and Hera's raptor first exited the jump, I bet that was totally supposed to be Callisto, Jupiter, and the Sun (albeit better situated to fit the screen).

I was thinking that myself.  Also did anyone else catch the older model raiders in the colony.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
Also did anyone else catch the older model raiders in the colony.

The ones that the camera lingered on for several seconds while the Raptor descended through the middle of them? Nope, missed it. :P ;)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 04:37:45 AM by Bond, James Bond »

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
Gettin senile in your old age eh grandpa ;)

So lets assume that is jupiter does that mean that Cavil figured out where Real Earth.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
I don't think so. It was just one of many jumps for Boomer on the way to The Colony. She jumped, what, two more times after that (that we saw)?

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
I was betting on the fact that Cavil's new colony was on our Earth, so I was surprised when Boomer and Hera jumped again. Still, I think they lingered long enough on that shot to hint that it was Jupiter.
I'm kind of depressed that Galactica is suddenly going to shit after all she's been through.  I'm guessing that they're planning on a viking funeral in any case.

I bet you anything she dies ramming and destroying The Colony. I can see Bill going down with the ship (especially if Laura dies first or comes with him on the suicide mission, because the "dying leader" doesn't reach Earth), but then Tigh would choose to die too, so I wonder if something's going to happen to get him off the ship, like Bill and Ellen conspiring and spiking his booze or something. 

Then Lee takes over as actual rather than acting President, Boomer returns Hera, they match the 'All Along the Watchtower' notes with the first raptor jump after a hint from Hera, and find the "real" Earth. "Humanities end" is not extinction but Cylons and Humans living together in peace and having lots of Hybrid babies which form a new species now that they're no longer being punished by "God."

That's pretty much my thoughts on Adama's line "We'll send her off in style" (or something similar), though I would be surprised if Adama went down with the ship.

Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
I don't think so. It was just one of many jumps for Boomer on the way to The Colony. She jumped, what, two more times after that (that we saw)?

Oh thats right for some reason I thought that the colony was near the Jupiter-esque gas giant.

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile

Oh thats right for some reason I thought that the colony was near the Jupiter-esque gas giant.

It still could be. Perhaps Boomer made a series of short, in system jumps, rather than several long range jumps. The Colony could still be (relatively) near Earth.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson