Author Topic: Daybreak ***Spoilers***  (Read 21357 times)

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
Re: Daybreak ***Spoilers***
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2009, 08:41:43 AM »
This has to be the first series finale I've watched, that hasn't left me wanting more. It was damn near perfect.

My thoughts exactly.  Definetly a great twist and a great ending.  I'll post more later.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Charles

• Loves Lucy
    • View Profile
    • The Caveman's Corner
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2009, 08:48:51 AM »
Now what I want to see is them come back with another season.  ;D "Baltar and Six Hunt a Gazelle." "Random Crew Members Have Marital Troubles in Australia."

EDIT: So, wait a minute, which Earth were they on when the Temple of Artemis transported them and they saw the constellations? I guess our Earth because it was green, but you can't see all the constellations in the Northern Hemisphere at the same time like that from any point on our Earth. Not that it's likely any of the constellations would be visible from some other planet anyway... Nevermind, I guess it was our Earth.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 09:54:42 AM by Charles »
The only good cat is a Schrödinger's Cat.

Offline Argosy Special Ops

• Veteran Member
  • Mentat Master of Vulcan Gun Katas
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2009, 12:04:06 PM »
I think the whole Harbinger of Death wasn't such a literal meaning, as in humanity would be wiped out.  If Hera and human-Cylon hybrids like her are indeed the future, then eventually at some point, this new civilization would stop being completely human...and Kara was largely responsible in making that future possible by finding the real Earth.  Or at least the planet they're going to call Earth.  So, in actuality, she did bring about the end of Humanity as we know it (pure humans), just not in the way that we expected her too.

That’s pretty much the meaning I took away from the whole “leading humanity to it’s end” business, but also (based on my assumption that she is/was the first human cylon hybrid and not Hera) since it seems to be suggested that her father was that defunct artisan cylon model that Cavil 86’d (wasn’t Daniel his name?) that she being the first human cylon hybrid was a harbinger of things to come…the end of humanity as we know it. 
"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity."- Horace Mann

Offline mdtillard

• Darth Apocalypse, Sith Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My MySpace Page
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2009, 10:23:17 PM »
Toom of Athenia, not Temple of Artemis.  Also, everything I have read indicates (including some anaylsis of the night sky in the toom itself) that the sky they were seeing in the toom was of Cylon Earth, not Earth Earth.  Infact, there is a website, www.galatica-science.com or .org, that has anaylized the star patternes in the space shots, and says that the constelations of the Toom seriously do not match the real things, past, present, or future.  Also, there is some serious speculation that not only was Kara suppose to lead them to our Earth the whole time, but she got sidetracked, also that the Cylon Civil War actualy took place in OUR JUPITER ORBIT!  The bit about Jupter came from some anaylsis of the star patterns where Orion could be seen as it should from our Earth, whereas if it were seen from any other star system, it would look different.
Executor class Star Dreadnaught, 17.6km keel
x class Star Battleship, 12.8km keel
y class Star Battlecruiser, 8km keel
z class Star Cruiser, 2.2km keel
Imperator class Star Destroyer, 1.6km keel

Offline Setekh

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2009, 11:47:48 PM »
So what was the deal with Lee and the Pigeon? Was it supposed to represent Kara or something?

Offline Charles

• Loves Lucy
    • View Profile
    • The Caveman's Corner
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2009, 08:35:37 AM »
Not literally. I think they just showed us all that so that they could have the image of the pigeon flying out the door as Kara disappeared.
The only good cat is a Schrödinger's Cat.

Offline mark

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2009, 03:11:16 PM »
Could additionally be an analogy for Lee not getting to bang her while Zak was passed out on the couch. But now Lee gets to "explore" all he wants.
"Even if a hundred percent of the people polled like f%#&ing Hobbit movies, they still suck." --Penn Jillette

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2009, 03:25:14 PM »
Here's how I took it. The bird was Lee, or humanity in general, trying to escape. The room was the situation the fleet was in, and the open window is freedom. I figured the bird flying out the window, is meant to represent humanity finding a new home, and getting the new chance to survive.

Then again, the bird is more likely just a bird, Lee was to stupid to kill.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Setekh

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2009, 04:20:35 PM »
I figured it was Kara. Lee was chasing the bird around trying to catch it, but never could, and finally it just disappeared forever.

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2009, 06:42:10 PM »
that was... awesome. Almost everything i could want from a finale.

Offline Stoo

• Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2009, 07:09:31 PM »
Ok here's my small nitpick list:

1: Tory might have been a bit dull. And a bitch. And murderous. But she was hot and really Chief, Cally sucked!
2: I wish Leoben had had a bigger part, given how significant his previous interactions with Kara had been.
3: so was that baseship the sum total of the 2s, 6s and 8s? Had the rest gotten murdered by the Cavill Kru?

Anyway Galactica went out the way she had gone all along: namely, making every other scifi show its bitch.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 07:12:33 PM by Stoo »

Offline Setekh

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2009, 08:15:19 PM »

1: Tory might have been a bit dull. And a bitch. And murderous. But she was hot and really Chief, Cally sucked!

This is how I felt. I always liked Tory. Mostly cause she was hot.

I also kinda wished they had done more with Gaius's cult following. I feel like they left that a bit unfinished.

Offline Stoo

• Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2009, 04:21:18 AM »
Wait a sec, is Deanna still sat by herself on the Irradiated Wasteland Earth?

[edit]okay she's probably dead of radiation poising by now. Still I'd have liked to see her play some small part.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 05:42:15 AM by Stoo »

Offline Chemahkuu

• Distinguished Member
  • Resident Insufferable Treknobabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2009, 02:06:37 PM »
Saw the finale last night, fucking awesome.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2009, 05:37:50 AM »

Offline Stoo

• Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2009, 07:53:38 AM »
"So yeah i had this idea for a guy chasing a pigeon, and i had no idea where i was going with it or who it even was but i ran with it anyway"

Oh Ron, that's so you.

Offline Glory to the Dominion

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2009, 03:49:55 PM »
Loved it for the most part although I didnt get a couple of bits and/or thought they could have been handled better.

1. Thought the whole Starbuck 'harbinger of death'/ 2nd version of her on the 1st earth was handled poorly, kinda like they didnt know where they were going with that whole arc. So is she the harbinger of death for guiding the fleet to earth so we can start the cycle of machine-man war all over again, or am I missing something?

2. I thought the nuked earth was supposed to be 'our' earth, suddenly its not. Was it just me who felt this was a little forced, again like they were not sure how to end it so they manage to find the 'real' earth?

3. That frakkin vision that Roslin/Caprica Six & co have. They have been banging on about that for ages. And when we do see it, it amounts to picking Hera up and carrying her 20 feet to the CIC. What a revalation...

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2009, 04:24:42 PM »
The nuked Earth was the real Earth. Our Earth, is the "planet we're going to call Earth" Ron was talking about months ago. They had this whole thing planned for long time.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2009, 09:44:41 PM »
Loved it for the most part although I didnt get a couple of bits and/or thought they could have been handled better.

1. Thought the whole Starbuck 'harbinger of death'/ 2nd version of her on the 1st earth was handled poorly, kinda like they didnt know where they were going with that whole arc. So is she the harbinger of death for guiding the fleet to earth so we can start the cycle of machine-man war all over again, or am I missing something?

2. I thought the nuked earth was supposed to be 'our' earth, suddenly its not. Was it just me who felt this was a little forced, again like they were not sure how to end it so they manage to find the 'real' earth?

3. That frakkin vision that Roslin/Caprica Six & co have. They have been banging on about that for ages. And when we do see it, it amounts to picking Hera up and carrying her 20 feet to the CIC. What a revalation...

If you thought "our" Earth was the nuked Earth then you're an idiot.

Offline mark

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2009, 11:39:29 PM »

Sure, at first impression it can be a little underwhelming. But if it hadn't happened, Baltar wouldn't have had the chance to talk Cavil down so that Starbuck would have enough time to get to CIC in order to be in the right place at the right time to be the one to jump the ship out.
"Even if a hundred percent of the people polled like f%#&ing Hobbit movies, they still suck." --Penn Jillette

Offline Stoo

• Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2009, 02:49:37 AM »
1. Thought the whole Starbuck 'harbinger of death'/ 2nd version of her on the 1st earth was handled poorly, kinda like they didnt know where they were going with that whole arc.

Yeah, i'm finding myself more dissatisfied with all that.

2. I thought the nuked earth was supposed to be 'our' earth, suddenly its not.

Remember how we never saw the continents on Nuked Earth? Ron wouldn't have done that if it was meant to be our world.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 02:51:52 AM by Stoo »

Offline Glory to the Dominion

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2009, 09:56:55 AM »

Oooo ooo ooo, I love it when net-nerds insult someone from the safety of their mom's basement.

Besides, although we never saw specific continents when the final five are going 'ok, we've arrived at earth' and what little architecture we saw has similarities with our architecture, it kinda suggests that this is earth. Plus the final five call it earth. Plus the song of the five is a song from our past, further suggesting that this song came from our society...so yea how unreasonable of me to assume that it was within the realms of possibility that the nuked earth was our earth...  ::)

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2009, 10:20:38 AM »

Oooo ooo ooo, I love it when net-nerds insult someone from the safety of their mom's basement.

Besides, although we never saw specific continents when the final five are going 'ok, we've arrived at earth' and what little architecture we saw has similarities with our architecture, it kinda suggests that this is earth. Plus the final five call it earth. Plus the song of the five is a song from our past, further suggesting that this song came from our society...so yea how unreasonable of me to assume that it was within the realms of possibility that the nuked earth was our earth...  ::)

I love when idiots say idiotic things to their betters. From the safety of their idiot nests. Idiot.

Offline Manticore

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2009, 11:00:02 AM »

I love when idiots say idiotic things to their betters. From the safety of their idiot nests. Idiot.
I love how when you "argue", you just insult people that you disagree with.

Idiot.

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2009, 12:36:13 PM »

Here's the point => ()

() <= Here's you

The entire point was that they named the planet they found (our Earth) after the original one that was the home of the Thirteenth Tribe. The two planets were not clones of each other, nor were they related in anyway except in name. They pretty much spell this out in the show, so I'm surprised that you didn't pick up on it.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson