Author Topic: Why the Blue Glow?  (Read 15365 times)

Offline Indefatigable

• Deo Adjuvante
    • View Profile
Re: Why the Blue Glow?
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2010, 10:28:33 AM »
With the Excelsior class, the glow grew and grew.  If you compare the ship's début in TSFS, and the one that kept on turning up in the 7th season of DS9 (anyone know her name?), you will notice a lot more glow on the DS9 version.  Real world, the early version looked good on the big screen, and the newer version matched her Galaxy successors on the small screen.  I suppose in-universe, it might have something to do with a refit or a redesign in the intervening eighty year history of the class.  Does anyone have any good screenshots?
Still rambling away...

Offline Aemielius

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2010, 11:25:41 PM »
Quoted from, Star Trek:  The Next Generation Technical Manual;

"When energized, the verterium cortenide within the coil pair causes a shift of the energy frequencies carried by the plasma deep into the subspace domain.  The quantum packets of subspace field energy form approximately 1/3 the distance from the inner surface of the coil to the outer surface, as the verterium cortenide causes changes in the geometry of space at the Planck scale of 3.9 exp -33 cm.  The converted field energy exits the outer surface of the coil and radiates away from the nacelle.  A certain amount of field energy recombination occurs at the coil centerline, and appears as a visible light emission."

I have always understood this to be the blue light you are asking about
James Aemielius
Wolverine Studios

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2010, 08:44:59 PM »
Wow, that was a lot of treknobabble even for the tech manual.  ;D

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2010, 09:00:45 PM »
You're kidding right? The TM is like distilled technobabble. It's specially formulated to make guys like me drool.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2010, 07:16:26 AM »
You're kidding right? The TM is like distilled technobabble. It's specially formulated to make guys like me drool.
Oh I know, I own a copy (its... somewhere...).

Offline Oztrekkie

• View Profile
    • Life, The Universe, And Everything
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2010, 01:08:29 PM »
I'm personally leaning towards it being some sort of Cherenkov radiation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherenkov_radiation

I must say, the Cherenkov rads look an awful lot like the blue glow. That might be where they got the idea.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 01:15:49 PM by Oztrekkie »
"bortaS bIr jablu'DI', reH QaQqu' nay' "
"Revenge is a dish best served cold"