Author Topic: Caprica: the beginning $$$SPOILERS$$$  (Read 16902 times)

Offline BorgMan

• Global Moderator
  • Artistic Assimilator
    • View Profile
    • Visionm.nl
Caprica: the beginning $$$SPOILERS$$$
« on: April 21, 2009, 05:08:12 AM »
Wired.com has an article about the upcoming series Caprica. According to it, the pilot goes on sale today, while we'll have to wait for the series itself until 2010. They've concluded that there's a lot of theology going on, with several people bent on converting people to one god, probably headed by the cult Soldiers of the One. It is my guess that this is the group responsible for the terrorist attack which shatters two powerfull families: the Adama's from Tauron, headed by lawyer Joseph Adama, and the Graystones, headed by Caprican (soon to be mad) roboticist Daniel Graystone. All in between, there's seductive, cult following School administrators, Frankenstein-like awakenings, and ofcourse the moment we've all been waiting for: an old-school Cylon. So I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to see this :)
*Doorbell Sound*

"Hi, I am Elder 14 of 37 and this is my traveling companion Sister 29 of 128. We represent the Borg..."
"Oh Roddenbery, you guys again? Look, it's 8 in the morning and I don't have time for you OK? I told you last week..."
"But... Assimilation... Holopamflet!"
"Yeah right, you can leave it here but I'll throw it on the rest of the bunch I got from your other 'brothers' and 'sisters'. Now scram before I call the 8472 Squad!"

Offline BorgMan

• Global Moderator
  • Artistic Assimilator
    • View Profile
    • Visionm.nl
Re: Caprica: the beginning $$$SPOILERS$$$
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 07:06:34 AM »
Allright. I just saw it. I am, honestly, baffled.
We start hot: a club with boobs, kissing women, killing and other sinning happening left and right. I'm positiveto sya that y'all have to see it for yourself, especially near the end when the Cylon really becomes operational.

By your command...
*Doorbell Sound*

"Hi, I am Elder 14 of 37 and this is my traveling companion Sister 29 of 128. We represent the Borg..."
"Oh Roddenbery, you guys again? Look, it's 8 in the morning and I don't have time for you OK? I told you last week..."
"Yeah right, you can leave it here but I'll throw it on the rest of the bunch I got from your other 'brothers' and 'sisters'. Now scram before I call the 8472 Squad!"

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 07:07:52 AM »
Yeah, I've got it Netflixed so hopefully it should arrive tomorrow.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Hobbes

• Veteran Member
  • Cinnamon! No!
    • View Profile
    • Federation Starship Datalink
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 05:40:16 PM »
I'm still not sure what to make of this.  I haven't seen any of Caprica.  But I can't help but feel like the Sci-Fi Channel is gonna "over sci-fi" taking away what I liked about BSG in the first place.  Sure BSG has its fair share of sci-fi elements, but also seems very grounded in reality.
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Federation Starship Datalink

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 05:47:46 PM »
I got the DVD for my birthday last week. I thought it was kinda dull, personally. My dad and step-mom seemed to like it though.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline BorgMan

• Global Moderator
  • Artistic Assimilator
    • View Profile
    • Visionm.nl
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 04:54:22 PM »
I got the DVD for my birthday last week. I thought it was kinda dull, personally. My dad and step-mom seemed to like it though.
Well that's atleast something. I thought it was good enough but not up to the standards of Galactica. For some audiences, though, it's good enough. Like your mom and dad ;)
*Doorbell Sound*

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 05:41:37 PM »
That is true.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 05:32:50 AM »
I was bored to tears by most of it. There were some interesting parts, and I liked the ending with the fully operational Cylon with his daughter's consciousness inside (which introduces a nice twist on Cylon behavior), but I just don't see how this premise is sustainable for 20+ episode seasons.

Offline caisson2delta

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 06:37:14 PM »
Perhaps, after ten episodes or so, they will get enough fan based crap hate mail that they may decide to fast forward the series. i think most fans of BSG, me included, were expecting this series to delve into the civil wars between the colonies and, ultimately, the war with the cylons. I think that would be far more interesting and entertaining.

Off topic question, does anyone know when part two of season 4 will be released on DVD?

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 08:35:45 PM »
Ok, finally saw it and....

I really liked it....or I'm just such a rabid BSG fan that I'll take whatever I can get.  Yeah, that's probably it.

I knew going in that it wasn't going to be any sort of story about the war between the Cylons and Colonials.  Maybe it'll get there at some point, but I'm glad that they didn't go the war route straight away because it would have been too much like Galactica.  So much so that it would have been much like the flashbacks to younger Adama in Razor, which was fine for Razor because it was part of the story and didn't expand beyond that.

If they're going to do a whole new series then it needs to be something new and not just Galactica set in a different time.  So in that regard, I think they made the right choice.

Like Galactica though, it's not about the sci-fi so much as the drama between the characters.  So if you go in expecting fighting robots, Viper dog fights, or some other kind of action.  That being said, I do hope that they don't confine the story entirely to Caprica.  I'd like to see some more of the colonies and some of the Colonial Military, though I don't expect them to focus on it much.

A fairly cool if not unsettling scene of seeing the operational Cylon without all the shiny metal covering, even more so when Zoe wakes up in the end and calls her friend.
I'm fairly interested in seeing where it goes next, because it's not so clearly obvious where the first season is going to go.
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline BorgMan

• Global Moderator
  • Artistic Assimilator
    • View Profile
    • Visionm.nl
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 04:32:23 PM »
*shrugs* It had a hawt psycho teacher. I'm already more then happy 8)
*Doorbell Sound*

Offline Torlek

• Veteran Member
  • Burn it all down and start over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 12:54:20 AM »
The pilot finally showed on Syfy tonight so I figure it's a good time to rez this.

It's not the BSG I know and love but I'm still intrigued. There's plenty of small hooks they've laid out that have the potential of offering some rather interesting views on Colonial society. There's some nifty religious and social stuff going on and as we know the final five are lurking around the Colonies somewhere so eventually I could see them coming into this series. Also this offers us the possibility of seeing the other colonies which sounds even more interesting because the vibe I got was that the colonies weren't under a united government yet. I'll be checking on this for at least the next few weeks.
The battle of modern programming is one waged between the engineers trying to craft a bigger,better idiot-proof program and the universe trying to breed bigger, better idiots.  So far, the universe is winning.

Offline slash78

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 01:13:18 AM »
I honestly thought it was going to be Craprica.  And through the first 1 hour and 30 minutes I was thing WTF, where is this going?  But the last 30 or so minutes makes me believe this series has promise.

Though now I have to go get BSG 4.5 because I haven't seen it yet.

Offline Hobbes

• Veteran Member
  • Cinnamon! No!
    • View Profile
    • Federation Starship Datalink
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 09:23:09 PM »
Finally saw the first 2 hours.

So it's 60 years before the Cylons destroyed the colonies, yet the technology appears more advanced.  At least I don't recall a holographic internet thing on Galactica.  The Galactica was about 50 years old so I assume the tech should look the same.  Instead, aside from FTL space travel, the bucket looked very conventional and realistic.  In fact, if the US Navy operated a spacefleet I'd assume that's how the ships would look.

I accept that Caprica looks very modern otherwise like Earth.  Like a coffee diner there looks like a coffee diner here.  I guess to reinforce the whole, "this has happened before".

I liked the ending with Joe Adama talking to the future old man.  During the episode I kept hearing what sounded like a mispronounced Joseph Adama.

Also it's interesting to see how the cylons came into being and their belief in the one god.  I'm guessing that Zoe monothelitic belief is uploaded into future cylons.  Although I thought they adopted it from the final five.

Personally I would have liked to see at least a mini series about the first cylon war with a young Adama.  Granted you know it would end with the arrive of the five giving the cylons resurrection and skin-jobs in exchange for ending the war.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Federation Starship Datalink

Offline Torlek

• Veteran Member
  • Burn it all down and start over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 11:52:56 PM »
I liked the ending with Joe Adama talking to the future old man.  During the episode I kept hearing what sounded like a mispronounced Joseph Adama.
It sounded like most of the other Taurons were pronouncing his name as if it were spelled Iosef instead of Joseph. I think they were trying to emphasize how the colonies aren't unified right now and have their own dialects and cultures. I fully expect them to do the same to the other colonies as the series goes on.
The battle of modern programming is one waged between the engineers trying to craft a bigger,better idiot-proof program and the universe trying to breed bigger, better idiots.  So far, the universe is winning.

Offline Juvat

• Prolific Member
  • USAF Weapons Instructor
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 09:07:21 AM »
Razor is probably as close as you'll get to seeing a mini-series about the First Cylon War.
"In God We Trust"

Offline slash78

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 12:32:36 AM »
Finally saw the first 2 hours.

So it's 60 years before the Cylons destroyed the colonies, yet the technology appears more advanced.  At least I don't recall a holographic internet thing on Galactica.  The Galactica was about 50 years old so I assume the tech should look the same.  Instead, aside from FTL space travel, the bucket looked very conventional and realistic.  In fact, if the US Navy operated a spacefleet I'd assume that's how the ships would look.

Go back and watch the first few minutes of the BSG Pilot/Mini Series.  Doral is leading the tour and talking about how the Colonies abandoned much of the technology they had at the beginning of the Cylon War because they came to fear and hate it.  Yes, the technology is more advanced in Caprica then BSG.  And there is also the interview with Baltar where he talks about the state of technology and the lack of advancement in computer technology.

Offline Glory to the Dominion

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 08:02:10 AM »
Saw it the other day on UK tv.

Both me & girlfriend were a bit 'where is this going' for the first hour- hour & half, which isnt that good a sign I guess. the last half hour got more interesting and I did let out a little woop when the cylon said 'By your Command'

Maybe its early days yet but I too am struggling to see how this show can be stretched out to multiple seasons. And would it not-realistically speaking-take years to get Cylons into full production across the colonies?- especially in numbers that could start a rebellion. Is this not out of the scope of the show? Which makes me wonder to what point in the evolution of the cylons we are going to see.

And was it just me or is Tauron aka 'The Italian Mafia Planet'?

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2010, 11:12:26 AM »
After seeing the first two episodes of the regular season, I can say I like it so far.  It's hard to compare it to BSG, because it's telling such a different kind of story.  It's still a character drama like BSG, but this is straight drama with little to no action adventure elements.  I do feel they need to...hasten the development of the story with Zoe and being 'trapped' in the Cylon.  I'd rather not see that element of the story drag out over the entire season, along with whatever is going on with Zoe's friend and the woman at the school. 

I really like how fleshed out Caprica  is, the planet itself.  It's much more realized then anything we saw in BSG, but even more then I would have expected from a series set on another planet.  The background is filled with such a depth of detail that you instantly get the feeling that this is a real society somewhere.  But even beyond that, it's so connected to familiar elements of our own world that it feels more like a foreign country here on earth, rather then another planet.

I like the mob-brother, I think his name is Sam, that's mentoring William.  It's interesting to see how all over the place the Adama family is, particularly Joseph.  They go from trying to teach William from right and wrong, and stuff about his heritage, to down right criminal activity, even Joesph isn't above having someone taken out, where in the pilot he seemed much more skittish about embracing that part of his family.

I hope we get to see some of the other colonies...and while it's possibly a long shot, I hope we get to see some battlestars at some point...maybe even some Vipers.  Actually, showing some Vipers would be pretty cool scene set during a Pyramid Championship.

In regards to taking years to reach the number of Cylons needed for a rebellion, I would imagine that some form of rebellion might take place while there are still a relatively few number of Cylons, then afterwards, the Cylons start creating more of themselves, at a far more advanced rate then what the Colonies would have been capable of.  Greystone mentioned their contract was for 100,000 Cylons so there may be at least that many during the initial rebellion.  And we also saw that there was another corporation working on the same technology, so it stands to reason that once the Cylons become easier to produce, there would be numerous companies producing them all across the colonies.

It also depends upon what time frame the series maintains.  We might see a very strict adherence to real time where only a few months pass over the span of an entire season, or they could easily speed things up so that a year or more is spanned in one season.  It all depends on the story they plan to tell.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 09:50:48 PM »
I really want to like this show, but it's dragging. It's way too much 'Days of Our Lives' with robot teenage angst. The kicker for me was the teenage girl in the Cylon body watching her parents have sex. Really, that's the storyline? "Ick, my parents had sex in front of me"? That's a plot from 'Friends,' not something I'd expect from a BSG spin-off.

The production design of Caprica City and the surrounds is excellent, until you get down to the neighborhood level where a girl who can afford a prestigious private school lives in a house which looks like it's right out of poor rural Arkansas 40 years ago.

I do like that the Taurons speak ancient Greek though. That was a cool touch.

I just don't see how they're going to extend this angsty stuff into a fully fledged series. They need to find a more serious arc and push it hard soon.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 03:47:34 PM »
Here's an interesting article that explains the story/history of Sam Adama's tattoo's and how they relate to his involvement in the Ha'la'tha gang.
http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/show-patrol/2010/02/exclusive-caprica-producer-jane-espenson-explains-sam-adamas-tattoos.html

It's cool that they actually went into a backstory with it all, rather then ust covering him with random ink.

Offline Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2010, 09:03:11 PM »
I like where this is going so far. Looks like Tamara is going to rule "New Cap City" of V-world...Awesome.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2010, 07:57:20 PM »
I hope we get to see some of the other colonies...and while it's possibly a long shot, I hope we get to see some battlestars at some point...maybe even some Vipers.

Well we got to see some simulated Vipers in the last episode.  I'm going to guess that they were Mark I Vipers since they looked more like modern day jet fighters.  Maybe they were atmospheric operation only...  :-\

Wait, the BSGWiki has a picture of them.

Overall I like the series.  The settings, etc. are great.  It can be a little dull at times though. I get the feeling that somehow Tamara's experences in the V-world might influence the Cylons (maybe her avatar winds up in a mass production model latter on?).
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 02:21:01 PM »
They look partially inspired by Wild Weasel F-4 Phantoms.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2010, 04:33:01 PM »
I liked those better then the fighters from New Cap City that 'detached' from the airship.  Though they do like a bit similar, which would be expected I guess.

On another note which should surprise no one, it appears that we have two episodes left (Ghosts in the Machine & End of Line) before a nearly six month long hiatus, with Caprica returning some time in the fall.  I would complain about yet another hiatus, but really what's the point.