Author Topic: Caprica: the beginning $$$SPOILERS$$$  (Read 16901 times)

Offline Glory to the Dominion

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
Re: Caprica: the beginning $$$SPOILERS$$$
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2010, 08:04:49 PM »
On another note which should surprise no one, it appears that we have two episodes left (Ghosts in the Machine & End of Line) before a nearly six month long hiatus, with Caprica returning some time in the fall.  I would complain about yet another hiatus, but really what's the point.

That really cant be a good thing for a show that is trying to establish itself Id imagine. I dont know how well Caprica is doing in the ratings but Im finding it hard to sustain my interest. Ive seen enough episodes that feature Adama looking for his daughter/Industrial espionage/Chick-cylon stands around not really doing anything/stereotypical geek looks for love on the web/young adama learns from 'the street'

Maybe Im just getting impatient in my old age but lets move it along people... A battlestar themed show should be about one thing-robots going medieval on something or someone.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2010, 02:04:54 PM »
I love how at the end of the last episode they have an ad for the next season and it says "Coming soon".... 

Anywho "End of Line" was a good episode.  We got a close look at the HK like thing that was flying by in a few scenes (IIRC scenes showing the Greystone Industries building).  It looks like a Blackhawk with the rotors removed and two adjustable jet engines on short wings (couldn't find any pictures on BSGwiki).  There was another one but the body looked a little different, perhaps one was a police model while the Blackhawk-esque one was a military model.

As far as ratings go, http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/03/caprica-ratings-rise.html.  There were 1.3 million viewers as of the second to last episode ("Ghosts in the Machine").  Although the premiere episode got 1.6 million viewers (compared to 2.4 million for the SGU premiere). http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/01/syfys-caprica-gets-disappointing-start.html
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2010, 02:21:24 PM »
These were posted over at Sci-fi meshes.  One is a bit more original, but the second one is very much real world, like a mix between the Blackhawk and Osprey, with jets instead of turbo-props.  Both are pretty cool, but I like the Blackhawk version better.

https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2010, 02:31:58 PM »
Yay, pictures!  The cockpit on the Not-Blackhawk one gives me the impression of an attack aircraft (maybe their version of an Apache), but it's got an open bit that looks like a troop bay.  :-\
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2010, 02:44:26 PM »
Yeah, I had that same thought.  Perhaps it serves some sort of duel troop/gunship role like the Russian Hind.
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2010, 02:50:32 PM »
Could be, though I don't see any weapons mounted on it.  Then again the weapons could be stored internally.  Also, I think it's a single seater.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2010, 03:13:39 PM »
I think you may be right about it being a single seater.  I do see what looks like a gun port on the side though in that last pic, about level with the bottom of the door and below the aft section of canopy.  If that's what it is, it's certainly a strange option, useful for strafing passes or dog fighting maybe, but all but useless when in its role of a gun ship.  It may be something else, since it seems that fire from the port could hit the nose, the way it flares out like that.

It's strange that neither of them had any visible weapons.  If the Clyon got past the troops on the ground, how where they planning to do other then just flying after it to keep a visual on the van.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2010, 03:26:26 PM »
IIRC, they were under orders not to shoot it because they wanted it intact.  It's also possible that there could be door guns on both of the craft that we just can't see in the picks, looks like the side doors on the Blackhawk one are closed.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2010, 06:08:52 AM »
Here's a better look at some of the retro-ish CGI designs from Caprica, courtesy of the Drex Files.  It's all very cool, though there are a couple aircraft left out that I wish were in there, including the more recent 'older' viper jet, and the Blackhawk-ish VTOL transport/gunship from the finale.  I guess I'll take what I can get though, particularly since the pics are nice and large and detailed.

http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2010/09/12/caprica-2010-emmy-presentation-book/

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2010, 08:34:13 AM »
Are those WWII-esque fighters from the "present day" of Caprica? Or flashbacks to an earlier period?

Offline Juvat

• Prolific Member
  • USAF Weapons Instructor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2010, 10:02:25 AM »
From everything I've seen it looks like New Cap City is set up during either the prohibition era or just prior to WWII.  At least, insomuch, as that timeframe would be in the Caprica universe.
"In God We Trust"

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2010, 10:38:57 PM »
Spoiler warning if you haven't seen the most recent episode...

Tamara's flower-T emblem is showing up on people's heads so I guess she's taking over New Cap City.  Zoe uploaded herself to the V-World and is looking for Tamara.  The U-87 was damaged (Cyrus: "It's toast."  Vergis: "Or a toaster.") and the MCP was burned, they were able to copy the MCP and make it work in other Cylons.  The other Cylons don't score in the scentiant range.  STO teacher lady has gained control of the STO cells on Caprica.  Daniel has teamed up with the Ha'la'tha to get his company back.  And Amanda somehow survived and is in a cabin somewhere hanging out with STO teacher lady.