Author Topic: Conan The Barbarian Discussion  (Read 7912 times)

Offline QuantumData

• View Profile
Conan The Barbarian Discussion
« on: May 03, 2009, 02:23:40 PM »
So what would Robert E Howard's Conan The Barbarian be doing in a Star Wars thread?

Well, here's the question.

Would Conan The Barbarian make a good Jedi? Why or Why not?

I don't think he would. First of all, he's very savage. Savagery is not the mark of a Jedi as they seek peace.

Secondly, he has a blood lust for adventure and excitement. Jedis do not.

Thirdly he does not seek knowledge nor would he use the Force for knowledge. He would use it first and not ask questions later. Jedi use the Force for knowledge and do not seek out violence.

However, if Conan were to use the Force I think he'd be a Dark Jedi. And eventually a Sith Lord.

Except that he has a hatred for magic and The Force can be seen as a magic. So he might actually hunt down Jedis and Sith Lords to kill them.

Offline Glory to the Dominion

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
Re: Conan The Barbarian Discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 06:12:38 PM »
Im not one to insult people on forums but this is truly one of the most ridiculous threads Ive ever seen. I think you need to see a doctor, or at least have along chat with some sort of professional as to why you feel the need to put such drivel into writing.

Offline Hypaspist

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 06:18:11 PM »
Im not one to insult people on forums but this is truly one of the most ridiculous threads Ive ever seen. I think you need to see a doctor, or at least have along chat with some sort of professional as to why you feel the need to put such drivel into writing.

Dude chill out.  You're pinging pretty heavy on my irony meter.

To answer the question:  No Conan wouldn't be a good Jedi.  He is more along the lines of Han Solo, not giving a damn and sort of making his own way.  Which means, I suppose, that he wouldn't get wiped out the way they did.

Offline QuantumData

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 11:59:10 PM »
Never mind.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 01:07:54 AM by QuantumData »

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 02:15:21 AM »
Conan is so badass, he'd be both Jedi and Sith at the same time, symbolized by dual-wielding red and green lightsabers. Plus, unlike those other Force-using pussies, his lightsabers would only be six inches long (to give his opponents the illusion of having a chance) and he'd hold them by the fucking blade.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 02:18:26 AM by Bond, James Bond »

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 02:20:52 AM »
I am so glad I watched that movie this weekend. It fucking rules.

I have no idea if that relates to him being a good Jedi or not, but seriously, watch that film. Motherfucker punches out a camel. A camel.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 02:32:30 AM »
Crom, grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, den to Hell wit you!

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 04:57:29 AM »
CONAN!

What is best in life?

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 05:08:18 AM »
To crush your enemies, see dem driven before you, and to hear da lamendation of deir women.

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 05:18:48 AM »

If you're not to insult people then don't do it!

This thread may be OT and it smells a bit like those annoying cross-universe comparisons, but you should really leave that to the discretion of the mods. And now have fun!

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 05:54:31 AM »
To crush your enemies, see dem driven before you, and to hear da lamendation of deir women.

that is good!

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 06:36:30 AM »

If you're not to insult people then don't do it!

This thread may be OT and it smells a bit like those annoying cross-universe comparisons, but you should really leave that to the discretion of the mods. And now have fun!

Oh come on, this thread does smack a little of posting random weirdness just for the hell of it...I not au-fait with net lingo but isnt that trolling? Although any excuse for Arnie quotes is a plus in my book.

And while on the topic, many people here get away with a lot worse on this board, seemingly without any censure, why should I be any different?

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 08:52:53 AM »
No you're not any different. No one should kill a discussion after the initial post unless it is clear trolling. Just take the silliness with a grain of salt.

Offline QuantumData

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 12:22:15 PM »
I was not trolling. I just like to mix universes. Such as taking a Character and wonder what he or she'd be like if they were written in a different setting.  After all, you do mix universes when you have threads like Star Wars vs Star Trek vs BSG do you not? This is pretty much the same thing, just with different characters. I thought I could do that here since there were several kinds of those versus threads. It was also semi-original since, to my knowledge, nobody had even thought about what Conan would actually be like if he were a Jedi or in the Star Wars universe.

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 02:30:24 AM »
^Ok then I apologise for my comment but lets be fair, Conan & Jedi is hardly the same as Trek & BSG now is it?...at least trek & BSG are both sci-fi.

Offline QuantumData

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 11:43:25 AM »
Only if you want to get technical about it. Conan is pure Swords and Sorcery fantasy, while Trek and BSG are sci-fi. But even Trek has had it's share of fantasy like elements when it includes psionic abilities (the Vulcan's telepathic abilities are psionic for those who don't know what psionic abilities mean) not to mention Star Wars mixes fantasy elements as well with the Force and the Jedi. But that's a bit different than juxtaposing a character from a different universe. The concept, at least to me, is not any real different than what I was doing.

Arthur C Clarke said it best: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

And thank you for the apology. Apologies are extremely rare on the internet.

Offline Hypaspist

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 05:38:29 PM »
Conan had great adventure quality though, and the pace of the writing was perfect.  Regardless of what world it is set in, I'd like to see more of that, or at least more characters as interesting as Conan.
Imagine some sort of renegade who signs up with the Orion pirates, kicks everybody's ass, and ends up being the ruler of the Federation.  Basically it would be Conan.

Offline GStone

• Veteran Member
  • Undercover in Culture space
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 07:09:20 AM »
They reduce the fantasy stuff to a material process, which makes it a liberal take on science.
Leader of the Pro-Trek/Anti-The Culture movement

'Attack of the Clones: For some reason I can make it to Anakin's cringe-worthy lovey-dovey lines on Naboo, but I can't get to the choice bits with ..you know...the actual Attack of the Clones. As far as I know, the movie should have been called "Episode II: I Hate Sand." '

--Dark Moose

Offline Cleetus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2009, 12:47:39 PM »
Conan would be a great Jedi

Everyone knows that.

After all, his arch enemy James Earl Jones was a Sith

Darth Thulsa Doom
Lightswitch?