Author Topic: Request for Forums for the TrekOnline Members  (Read 20158 times)

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
Request for Forums for the TrekOnline Members
« on: May 18, 2009, 04:28:55 PM »
I'm not sure where else to post this, so I figured I'd make it here, and a mod or admin can move it if this isn't the right place for it.

A couple of weeks ago the cidvision (formerly known as Nov-Net) BBS went down because the domain name expired.  It was pretty much dead anyway except for some sporadic posting on the member forums, so I guess Mak has decided to let the old BBS stay dead.  Anyway, this leaves the sites hosted on TrekOnline without any forums.  Considering my options, I feel that attempting to start up another BBS for TrekOnline would be futile because it would probably never be that active.  This leaves me with requesting some forums on an already active board, and of the boards I know of, SCN is probably the best fit due to the sci-fi slant here.  As such, I'd like to request both public and private development forums for the TrekOnline members, though I can really only do this for my own sites at this point.  Foundations is the only one that would need a development forum as The Guardian of Forever is a fan fic archival site and as such needs no "development".  Rigil Kent is the only author of Star Trek: Endeavour, and the last time I talked to him he was unsure if he wanted to seek hosting here.  As for the other member, you'd have to talk to Jimi James about that, as it was his development forum.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
Re: Request for Forums for the TrekOnline Members
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 04:34:20 PM »
I thought something like that had happened when I logged on the one day...
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 05:57:09 PM »
My development forum was for The New Haven Chronicles series, though there were only a handful of us left, so I'm not sure it'd be worth starting a whole new development forum just for the three or four of us that are still working on it...if there's even that many.  Maybe if at some point a few more people join the team, then it would be something to consider, but right now I just don't see the point.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 12:12:24 PM »
So....   This is getting discussed, right?  ;D

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 02:39:18 PM »
Yeah, it is.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 04:17:06 PM »
Cool, was getting a bit nervous.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 12:51:25 PM »
Since I'm not sure what Rigil's intentions are, and he previously expressed interest in seeking his own hosting, I guess any decision on this would have to be based on just my own two sites: Star Trek: Foundations and The Guardian of Forever.  Foundations is the only one that would need a development forum, provided old staff members keep on.  If it would make a difference, a TrekOnline forum with the others as subforums would probably do the trick.  Just stick me next to JoAT. ;)

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 09:22:21 AM »
I've just been informed that my request was denied.  To be honest, this was one of the only reasons I was sticking around after my contrived month-long ban was lifted.  I'm pretty disappointed I was turned down, since after all it could have benefited both SCN and TrekOnline, but I'm honestly not very surprised.  I've been a member since 2003 or 2004, and I've made plenty of positive contributions.  Furthermore, at the risk of sounding like an internet veteran, SCN was a lot more open back then to new people and new ideas.  That's pretty much gone now, and while there are people here I would miss, SCN has become very closed off.  Hell, the last two bans I got were over a disagreement about a movie.  Certain people whined and complained that I'm close-minded and unreasonable, all while personally insulting me and comparing me to religious fundamentalists, ironically treating me the same way the church would treat a heretic.  But really, this has been a pattern of behavior.  Despite any contributions I've made or anything else I've done, this is all forgotten whenever there is a disagreement between myself and someone who is a mod or an admin.  I was actually told this was one of the primary reasons I was turned down.  Not in those exact words, of course, but the message is pretty clear.

To be honest, I was and still am pretty pissed about what happened over STXI.  I was so pissed that I told Bond I had no intention of returning, and that he'd burned the mended bridges between us.  I really didn't have any intention of returning, and had cidvison's domain not expired and Mak not done anything about it, I wouldn't have.  But since I have to think about my projects and what would be best for TrekOnline, I sucked it up and came back to beg for forums on bended knee.  I see now I was mistaken to do so.

Offline Ottens

• View Profile
    • Forgotten Trek
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 10:44:03 AM »
I don't intend to question the staff's decision, of course, this is your forum and you should know what's best for it, I only wish to express my disappointment that the TrekOnline forums cannot be hosted here. With the former nov-net gone, it would have made perfect sense to have the project's boardshere. It's not as though the "Fan Projects" are exactly bustling with activity. Bringing in some fan-fiction might well inspire more posting, but alas.

CX, I assume there will be some separate forums under the trekonline.org domain in that case? It would be better, of course, to have it hosted with some larger community, and I would gladly offer space at my place, though its subjects are rather different from Star Trek, obviously, so I doubt that would be your best option.

Is there no way we can make you change your minds, SCN?
FORGOTTEN TREK -- the Internet's treasure of behind the scenes Star Trek

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 07:42:04 PM »
Ok look man, in the past you may have contributed positively to this forum but so have many other members... and if they had come to us with a similar proposal, basically an idea they had and not really alot more than that they would have gotten the same answer from us. When it comes down to it SCN isn't the same as CIDVISION, or NOVNET or any other service that I provided in the past... SCN was never about making a home for little projects on the web... that was my own personal side of things.

Your rather colourful past didn't really help your case either... not to be an ass but you come off as a hot head and a person that will hold a grudge, not exactly the type of person that we would put in our top ten lists thats for sure. So before you go out and start saying the only reason you didn't get it was because you have had run ins with certain staff members in the past you might want to take a moment to collect yourself. We decided, as a collective staff, that we are not in this for hosting individual side projects.

If you have something you would like to share then create a thread in the creative writing forum, post your stuff there, if it becomes popular then we might even sticky it for you but thats about as far as any of us are prepared to go.

I personally think it was not in good taste that you made comment to me "doing nothing" about my domain name expiring, you do realize that it requires money to maintain a website and domain name do you not? And you aren't exactly aware of my financial situation... so being my choice, I decided that it was better to let the domain name expire.

Ottens, SCN and my own personal sites have always been separate entities... so the TrekOnline forums coming here was never to be expected in my books.
N.I.G.G.A. - Never Ignorant Gettin' Goals Acomplished
"If a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
CIDvision :: the breen war :: trekonline

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 08:34:31 PM »
Ok look man, in the past you may have contributed positively to this forum
In the past?  Excuse me, but I was contributing as much as anyone else prior to this STXI bullshit.  This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say all of my contributions are conveniently forgotten whenever my latest unpopular opinion pisses enough people off so they can slap me with a "troll" label.

but so have many other members... and if they had come to us with a similar proposal, basically an idea they had and not really alot more than that they would have gotten the same answer from us. When it comes down to it SCN isn't the same as CIDVISION, or NOVNET or any other service that I provided in the past... SCN was never about making a home for little projects on the web... that was my own personal side of things.
Except of course when it did, like Renaissance, The Breen War, and Endeavour (which had way less at the time than I do now with Foundations), Memory Alpha, and why it's still hosting JoAT.  Hell, GoF is pretty similar to JoAT except that instead of fan-submitted art, it's fan-submitted fiction.

Your rather colourful past didn't really help your case either... not to be an ass but you come off as a hot head
Yes, I can be a hot head when people insult and provoke me.

and a person that will hold a grudge,
Which is ironic considering I basically let everything be water under the bridge with the majority of people I was holding grudges against.  Hell, I even came out and apologized to Bond for holding a grudge against him for so long for stuff he did a long time ago.  I was definitely willing to give things another chance, but since I'm negative about a movie, suddenly that's all undone and I'm just a troll again.

not exactly the type of person that we would put in our top ten lists thats for sure. So before you go out and start saying the only reason you didn't get it was because you have had run ins with certain staff members in the past you might want to take a moment to collect yourself.
That isn't what the PM said.  In fact the first reason listed was because of who I am and how concerned you all are that you'll have to ban me again.  The other reason given was more like a "oh, by the way..."

We decided, as a collective staff, that we are not in this for hosting individual side projects.
Not to sound arrogant or anything, since this would involve other hypothetical future projects which could benefit this board, but this kind of attitude does more harm than good to SCN.  If you want to come off as an elitist group, you're definitely doing that through this decision.

If you have something you would like to share then create a thread in the creative writing forum, post your stuff there, if it becomes popular then we might even sticky it for you but thats about as far as any of us are prepared to go.
Threads are what you do on other boards when you have a forum where you can do more.  Then it's basically for announcements.  And one can't exactly do any development in single thread in a public forum.

I personally think it was not in good taste that you made comment to me "doing nothing" about my domain name expiring, you do realize that it requires money to maintain a website and domain name do you not? And you aren't exactly aware of my financial situation... so being my choice, I decided that it was better to let the domain name expire.
You know what wasn't cool?  How I and everyone else still there lost everything without any warning or time to back anything up.  As for time and money, you know I would've helped out with both as much as I could, and I even offered as much, just like I always have.  I've pretty much been there from the beginning, and when the chips were down and everyone was thinking of running to VST, I was completely against it and vowed to stick it through to the bitter end, which I guess this is.

Ottens, SCN and my own personal sites have always been separate entities... so the TrekOnline forums coming here was never to be expected in my books.
Nice of you to tell me.  At least Bernd was positive about the idea when I floated it to him.

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 10:32:30 PM »
Typical that you would break down the entire thing... first off you took my opening statement the wrong way, I wasn't saying that you haven't contributed anything lately, just saying that yes you have contributed, but as I mentioned so have many others.

As for TBW, REN... all those projects (atleast as far as I know) started off as COMMUNITY projects... members of SCN that were working together to create something... TBW even started off as a RPG. JoAT is Bernd's site, it has a right to be there... Memory Alpha was Dans... as for Endeavour, they never really had much going on but even then it was a bunch of SCN members that were working together on it. Right now Foundations is YOU... thats about it... if you'd been able to show that you had something actively going then it might have been different, just like if you had started off on these forums and recruited other members of SCN to help you... probably would have been another matter.

You must be forgetting that I actually had access to your private forums on my old forum, your forum was just as dead as every other one on there so you can't even claim that you were active. That was also something taken into consideration.

Personally I think I've given you more than enough help over the past several years, hell for the longest time you were an administrator at my forum... I've helped you in every way I could with pretty much every project that you have wanted to start, but a guy can only give so much... if SCN were mine and mine alone I still wouldn't give it to you. Your quick to anger and dont know how to listen when people tell you to drop it. You take little things out of context and as personal attacks even when they aren't ment as such.

The funny thing is that I've stuck up for you in the past whenever you got in agruments with Flagg or other board members, I remember posting a message for you on the old SCN protesting a ban there... I have personally had to put up with complaints from members not only here but on NN as well... so take this as you will, quit being a dick or go elsewhere... we are all sick of it.

Your project, at this time, doesnt have anything to offer SCN... we all talked about this in the mod forum and we all agreed on this... go ahead and call us elltists or whatever you want to, your opinion of us doesn't matter.
"If a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 12:40:44 AM »
I've permabanned CX. He said he was leaving in a few days here, but it was obvious he was just going to stick around to give the staff a hard time for that remaining period. To attack Mak of all people after all he's done for him really irks me too. That's incredibly ungrateful, and the least he can do is leave with some grace and friendly words to someone who did so much for him.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 12:48:43 AM »
I'm glad you bit this in butt before he became another Maple Dog. I don't think I'm the only one who's thinking this, thank you.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline NovaStar83

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 03:22:10 AM »
Dynamic IP

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 03:42:13 AM »
What point are you trying to make?
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Manticore

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 05:40:58 AM »
Unless I'm mistaken, I think that Novastar just admitted that he's CX. 0.o

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 05:42:13 AM »
^^^I think you are mistaken none of whats gone on here is CX's style.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2009, 07:59:19 AM »
Well, whomever he was he obviously wasn't here for actual discussion since almost half his posts were insults and the rest bitter arguments that obviously had a history behind them (as opposed to someone new coming in fresh), and that was before he admitted to having a dynamic IP which is an instant ban.

I'm sure he'll be back though.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2009, 09:21:11 AM »
Whats a dynamic IP?
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 10:34:03 AM »
Basically it means that your IP address (usually what we ban based on) changes either every time you connect or on a regular basis... mine is dynamic too within a certain range, just means that if we ban someone based on their IP they can sign up with a new account, all they have to do is wait until their IP changes;

Offline Commodore Horton

• Veteran Member
  • No, really, I'm a moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 06:33:15 PM »
I want one too! :)
Nos Vadum Triumphus

Offline Commodore Horton

• Veteran Member
  • No, really, I'm a moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2009, 06:46:23 PM »
Well, whomever he was he obviously wasn't here for actual discussion since almost half his posts were insults and the rest bitter arguments that obviously had a history behind them (as opposed to someone new coming in fresh), and that was before he admitted to having a dynamic IP which is an instant ban.

Wait...having a dynamic IP is a instaban offence? So why does Mak have one? :)
Nos Vadum Triumphus

Offline mike67

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2009, 06:53:29 PM »

LOL, having a Dynamic IP is grounds to ban someone, are you fucking stupid or what?

Yes, you can bet your ass ill be back, you could ask the web master over at Stromregin about that, but they went bankrupt so...

Offline mike67

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2009, 06:55:20 PM »
Whats a dynamic IP?

Seems(almost) every one round here is a dumass....