Author Topic: "Losing the Peace" $$SPOILERS$$  (Read 5238 times)

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
"Losing the Peace" $$SPOILERS$$
« on: July 09, 2009, 06:01:19 PM »
Anyone still following the Destiny series?

I found this one to be severely disappointing.  Not every book needs combat, but there was literally almost no actual action.  The point of the book was seemingly to show how far the Federation had fallen and how complacent its citizens had been, but there was just really no emotional impact.  It also seemed that the entire narrative consisted of:

Enterprise officer: "Woe is me, this current situation with refugees is dire."
*Flashback*
*Back to present.  Seek solace in personal relationship with another officer.*

The characters are thoroughly "okay", save for the always obnoxious Jar Jar Vulcan.  I am enjoying the Choudhury-Worf relationship, though. 

- The situation with refugees brings up the fact that the Destiny series let major worlds (particularly Deneva, which is basically serving as an Earth proxy) take the brunt of the Borg attack without doing anything to Earth again comes off as lazy and as a distinct lack of balls.  The only real damage in all of Trek that has occurred is San Fran getting roughed up a few times, and that one time where the Xindi cut off America's wang.   If you're going to have the Borg blow the shit out of everything, at least rough up part of the Sol system a bit.  Okay, Pluto got eaten, but that's almost too retarded to count.

- 40% of Starfleet is gone.  Wowzers.  I wish they had dwelled a bit more on this, as it is a staggering figure.  However, not everything makes sense: it is mentioned that a lot of the losses come from the Azure Nebula slaughter, but that only involved a few hundred ships.  Even if the fleet was quite depleted by the Dominion War, there should be a few thousand vessels remaining.

- The 'captains disobeying orders with no repercussions' meme is well established in Trek, but it's more frustrating to see in print.  And it basically happens here 3-4 times, along with "the comm system is down, lolololol!" and a cutesy 'punishment' of Picard and Crusher being sentenced to their quarters.  Groan.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
Re: "Losing the Peace" $$SPOILERS$$
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 06:24:08 AM »
I kind of fell behind in my Trek reading due to a rash of zombie novels ('Day by Day Armageddon' and 'Pride and Prejudice, and Zombies' being the latest - "Girls, Pentagram of Death!"  ;D), so I just finished 'A Singular Destiny' (I'd give it a "B-") and I'm halfway through 'Titan: Over a Torrent Sea' right now. Love the bio-tech and unique depiction of the "Squales," not so much the often annoying Titan main characters.

I have 'Losing the Peace' as well, so hopefully I'll be caught up and able to respond to you soon.

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 07:07:39 AM »
You had better.  *shakes fist*

I'm wondering if the fact that the decent amount of people we had discussing the original books has dwindled so sharply is a sign that people just stopped caring a few books in, after all the ridiculousness and a few stinky books.

At this point, it's probably going to be increasingly hard to jump in to the series.  I didn't really have any problem with the first couple, despite not reading most of the "A time to..." books, but by now, a new reader jumping in might find things pretty radically changed/difficult to understand in comparison to where we officially left off in Nemesis.

Thank you for agreeing the Titan main characters in that book were annoying.  Ugh.

Offline Torlek

• Veteran Member
  • Burn it all down and start over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 12:21:35 PM »
I loved the bio-tech in 'Over a Torrent Sea' but I just wanted to throttle Ree, Troi and Lavena for pretty much the entire book.  This is sad because I used to love Ree but they've been focusing too much on him and Troi ever since 'Greater Than the Sum'.  I agree that Singular Destiny was a mid-to-low B but I really liked Sonek and the description of the Kinshaya, I hope we see more of both later.  Right now I'm over in the Vanguard era with their new book 'Open Secrets'.  It's apparently been too long since I read the last entry because I can't remember a lot of what went on but it's proceeding nicely towards the Klingon-Federation War right now.  This entry's a lot less boring than the last entry by Dayton Ward (the second book 'Summon the Thunder') but this still seems like it'll be David Mack's series to really shape.  I wish they would get Christopher Bennett to do a book and explain the Shedai technology because he has yet to fail me in bringing the interesting stuff.
The battle of modern programming is one waged between the engineers trying to craft a bigger,better idiot-proof program and the universe trying to breed bigger, better idiots.  So far, the universe is winning.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 02:26:29 PM »
I'm only halfway through the book but Lavena has already been attacked/almost eaten/kidnapped three times. Quit plumbing that well already.

Sonek was cool, if a bit too Mary Sue, and I am looking forward to the whole Typhon Pact thing, though it does make me wonder if Trek is going to get into the rut that the Star Wars novels have gotten into lately which is just an endless series of conflicts and pain for the main characters over and over and over again. If it's getting tiresome in a franchise that has "wars" in the title, imagine what it will be like for a franchise that is supposed to be mostly about exploration.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 02:34:23 PM by Bond, James Bond »

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 03:13:13 PM »
Yeah, that's true, though I don't think I would say that dynamic in Star Wars is just now getting tiresome.  It seems like they've been doing the same type of thing over and over and over, and all the miniseries through the 90's introduced "the gravest threat the galaxy has seen since the darkest days of the Empire" pretty much every time (excluding the well-written and frigging awesome Zahn books and X-Wing series).  However, I guess it has been maybe the worst lately...the Legacy series was on the whole pretty awful and a rather uncompelling rehash.  The sad thing is, after that it looks like they've done it AGAIN with the new Legacy comics (set 130+ years after the Battle of Yavin), to a ridiculously emo and overdramatic extent.  It's getting almost pathetic.

I think the Trek writers think gritty is 'in', but they don't realize it is difficult to work that type of flavour into the complexion of the Trek universe.  The 'shining future' vision of Star Trek can be refreshing for the audience when compared to the dark sci fi that seems to be saturating everything these days.  The only time Trek has really done gritty well has been the Dominion War, but it seems like most people behind the scenes are pretty oblivious to that.  I do find it tiresome to see the characters being constantly dragged through the mud...sure, make them more realistic, but the interest with the Trek universe has always been in watching the characters cope with adversity and thrive nonetheless, not in them suffering BSG-style.

If Trek authors can't find a way around doing conflict, they should really find a way to make it more interesting.  Every villain is pretty much intent on destroying the Federation "just cause"...there's not much seen in terms of territorial competition for new spaces, rivalry in recruiting neutral worlds, etc.  Show the other powers facing the external threats that always seem to exclusively go after the Federation every time.  Hopefully this new direction is a positive step.

I find the Typhon Pact intriguing, but given its makeup, it comes off as ridiculously implausible - hopefully tensions between the members are shown. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 03:18:42 PM by Broken Subspace Scene »