Author Topic: Fauxturama?  (Read 7057 times)

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
Fauxturama?
« on: July 19, 2009, 09:32:50 AM »
Futurama is returning to TV, but there's a catch.

This is gigantically lame.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
Re: Fauxturama?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 11:41:11 AM »
Yeah, I read that the other day. What a load of shit. Futurama in name only. It's not even worth coming back if you're not going to have any of the original main voice actors.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 01:51:33 PM »
I find it interesting that Fox is willing to pay the Simpsons folks what they want, yet not the Futurama folks.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 12:14:26 PM »
About the only ones they're keeping are Ami and Hermes, and I'd bet a dollar those two get written out of the new scripts.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 04:06:18 AM »
GOOD NEWS, EVERYONE!

Futurama cast members ink new deal with Fox

Jul 31, 2009 11:31 PM
Rob Salem

LOS ANGELES – The Star has learned exclusively that the entire voice cast of Futurama has just signed a new contract with Fox after weeks of intense salary negotiations.

As late as last week, the network was threatening to replace the original voices of Matt Groening's cult-hit cartoon, to the point of actually announcing a casting call for voice actors to replace them.

The Futurama voice cast includes John DiMaggio, Maurice LaMarche, Billy West, Tress MacNeille and Katey Sagal.

The compromise agreement, with the studio paying more and the actors accepting less, comes after the announcement of a 26-episode pick-up here by Comedy Central. Futurama also airs internationally in syndication, has produced four bestselling straight-to-DVD movies (later cut into episodes) and an upcoming feature film.

"We are thrilled to have our incredible cast back. The call has already `gone out to the animators to put the mouths back on the characters," Futurama creators Groening and David X. Cohen said in a joint statement.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/674841

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 06:30:44 AM »
Awesome news!
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 04:59:33 PM »
Great news. I don't like recasting unless it's something they need to do. (ie: too old, in the case of live action, or dead, for both.)
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 07:08:56 PM »
Great news indeed.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline MageGrayWolf

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • JKcoder
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 07:47:57 PM »
Great news. I don't like recasting unless it's something they need to do. (ie: too old, in the case of live action, or dead, for both.)

I agree recasting should only be done when absolutely necessary.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 01:25:30 AM »
So, anyone catch the first two new episodes of Futurama on Comedy Central this past week.

I was mildly entertained, though they were far from outstanding; which is about on par with what I thought of the films.  Hopefully things will improve.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 05:50:03 AM »
I liked the second one better than the first, but they were both just serviceable rather than good. But I'm glad to have the show back.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 06:39:18 PM »
I liked the two premire episodes.  Not the best episodes but good and it's nice to have the show back.

Last week's eyePhone episode was really funny.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 08:34:15 PM »
We are reasonably satisfied with the events we have seen. Overall I would rate it a C+. Okay, not great.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 07:54:40 AM »
Is it just me, or is there a lot more, ahem, "fanservice" this season?

Offline USS Mariner

• Absolutley Right™
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 09:03:02 AM »
Give it time.
"Improve a mechanical device and you may double productivity. But improve man, you gain a thousandfold." - Khan Noonien Singh
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton