Author Topic: The Second E-Mail - 'Approval'  (Read 5542 times)

Offline The Storyteller

• Future Author
    • View Profile
The Second E-Mail - 'Approval'
« on: September 27, 2009, 01:00:52 PM »
When I first registered with the forum, I received an E-mail confirming my username and password. It also told me that I would have to wait for another E-mail approving my account before I could post on the forum. However, it is now getting on for three months since I registered and I still havn't received any second e-mails, but I was able to introduce myself in the Introduction Thread last month, so now I'm wondering if I still need to wait for this second e-mail or not.
Normally, I would keep waiting until told otherwise, but I have noticed one or two newer posters posting already while a few who joined at the same time of me haven't - is this because the newer ones have been approved already or have they just ignored the whole second e-mail thing?

« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 09:00:21 PM by The Storyteller »
At best, 'Normal' is just another word for 'mundane', and at worst, it's an excuse to victimise people just because they're different.

Offline Mork of Ork

• View Profile
Re: On behalf of fellow newcomers...
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 01:47:00 PM »
I don't think I ever got a second email.

Offline caisson2delta

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 03:04:06 PM »
I'm still waiting, three years later.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 03:19:17 PM »
Bernd, and Mak had to put in a account confirmation and approval system a couple years ago, because of some problems we had with trolls. Maybe it's all fucked up.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline caisson2delta

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 03:20:46 PM »
I waited a year, after registering, to post for the first time. I didn't even try to log in prior to that because I was waiting for the email. Just tried one day and lo and behold it worked.

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 03:28:33 PM »
I call bullshit ^ :P you registered December 2006 and first posted July 21, 2007 (atleast thats the oldest post on the forum by you)... thats nowhere near a year...

And that weird, I haven't read the message you get when you first register (since I was the first person on the forum to begin with) but my guess would be when we approve new members there are a couple of options... one says approve, one says reject, one says approve and send email and one says reject and send email... my guess would be that everyone is just going to the approve option and not sending the email...

I guess most people would just try to log in after a couple of days anyways even if they didn't get the second email... if it lets you log in then that means your account was approved, if it hadn't been approved yet it would bring up a message saying just that... as for people that are rejected I believe it says you arent registered on the forum...

So that being said, welcome... feel free to look around and post all you want.
N.I.G.G.A. - Never Ignorant Gettin' Goals Acomplished
"If a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
CIDvision :: the breen war :: trekonline

Offline caisson2delta

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 03:31:32 PM »
Sorry, i was off by a few months. Do you want to take me out back and shoot me now, or later?

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 03:35:32 PM »
I'll deal with you later...

But to be completely honest we just don't send out the email to weed out the less than intelligent people that join up, find that they are able to post but decide not to because they were not as yet "approved" lol... kidding of course...
"If a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline caisson2delta

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 03:38:46 PM »
I could see how this might confuse some newcomers, especially ones (like me) that have never been on a forum before. But I used all that time of waiting to sort of read through older posts and get a feel for things. My only regret, I wish I would've joined much sooner.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 04:05:09 PM »
My only regret, I wish I would've joined much sooner.

That feeling usually doesn't last long. ;)
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline The Storyteller

• Future Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 06:32:50 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote from: Makaveli
But to be completely honest we just don't send out the email to weed out the less than intelligent people that join up, find that they are able to post but decide not to because they were not as yet "approved"

Y'know, that thought did occur to me, but on the other hand, you could look at like this...

ADMIN 1: "Y'know, what I really hate? People who follow the rules."
ADMIN 2: "Yeah, I know what you mean - especially the folk who wait for that whole 'approval' thing."
ADMIN 1: "Yeah, what's the deal with that? Don't they realise that we like having people who ignore rules and do whatever they please on these forums - otherwise we'd have a forum where people had civil conversations without erupting into flame wars..."

... which made me think 'maybe this is their way of weeding out potential troublemakers who blatantly ignore the rules and are likely to cause problems on the forum'.

Quote from: Makaveli
And that weird, I haven't read the message you get when you first register (since I was the first person on the forum to begin with) but my guess would be when we approve new members there are a couple of options... one says approve, one says reject, one says approve and send email and one says reject and send email... my guess would be that everyone is just going to the approve option and not sending the email...

If it helps, here's the E-mail I received when I signed up (minus personal details)...

Your registration request at Subspace Comms Network has been received, (username).

The username you registered with was (username) and the password was (password).

Before you can login and start using the forum, your request will be reviewed and approved. When this happens, you will receive another email from this address.

Regards,
The Subspace Comms Network Team.

Also, I'm going to (try to) change the name of the topic, so we don't have to go through the same pantomine in future with new members.

At best, 'Normal' is just another word for 'mundane', and at worst, it's an excuse to victimise people just because they're different.

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
Re: The Second E-Mail - 'Approval'
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 09:12:25 PM »
Where are you going with this and what are you trying to say, Storyteller?
Human Nature. Without a common enemy , men will look for foes in the one place they can guarantee finding one: The Past. -Eoforth, Sigmar's right hand man,

A mind without a purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor, Inquisitor of the Imperium of Mankind.

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 09:37:27 PM »
Hes not saying anything... as for the second email, there is no way for me to edit the one you get originally so I just put a note in the admin forum letting the everyone know and trying to get them to send the second approval email...

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 08:39:48 AM »
Ok, thanks for clear up, Mak.
Human Nature. Without a common enemy , men will look for foes in the one place they can guarantee finding one: The Past. -Eoforth, Sigmar's right hand man,

A mind without a purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor, Inquisitor of the Imperium of Mankind.