Author Topic: The New Haven Chronicles - The Story  (Read 26229 times)

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
The New Haven Chronicles - The Story
« on: October 08, 2009, 08:56:52 PM »
So here is the first inkling of a story...a short/vignette in the form of an After Action Report from the Battle of New Burn.

I've attached both a PDF and a RTF versions.  If you'd like it in any other file type let me know.

Additionally, if you notice anything amiss, typos and the like, let me know.

Aside from that, I'm interested in knowing what you think.

Ok, so it seems that both files are too large to post.  So for the time being, you can go hear and read it: After Action Report # 373-482

ETA: I've attached a simple text version, but it looses all the formating and looks like crap.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 08:58:51 PM by Jimi James »
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Juvat

• Prolific Member
  • USAF Weapons Instructor
    • View Profile
Re: The New Haven Chronicles - The Story
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 07:27:39 AM »
That's cool.  I like the report format a lot.

The only thing I would suggest is regarding the case of some text.  On military documents if an operation is named it's going to be in all caps so it would be "OPERATION RETRIBUTION".  I know that's a nitpicky thing but, hey, you asked. :)
"In God We Trust"

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 11:36:07 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to check it out.  And thanks for the tip about the operation name being in all caps.  Hopefully the next short, which is in a more normal prose format and is somewhat of a follow up to this one, should be ready in a week or so.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 11:38:04 AM by Jimi James »
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 02:51:08 PM »
Interesting read. It's a tough act to balance the straight-up, Military speak of an actual after action report whilst attempting to give the reader a decent idea of what's going on (or, in this case, what happened), and while I think this has some rough edges, I think it's pretty decent.

Also, shouldn't it be "New Bern", not "New Burn"? I'm assuming you're referring to the Swiss city.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 03:28:05 PM »
Thanks.  I'll try to smooth out some of those rough edges in the next draft.  I'm glad that it's at least interesting though.  I was a bit worried it would be completely boring and meaningless.

I probably should have looked it up, but it's actually referring the show Jericho.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 08:07:07 PM by Jimi James »

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 03:02:05 AM »
So I posted these brief character profiles over on the New Haven Facebook page, so I thought you all might be interested as well.  These are the four main characters of the series, though by no means the only people that the story will follow.  These four represent the four sides of the war, particularly the ground and space war as seen from combatants on each side of the conflict.

Fleet Admiral Jormungandr Arakel

Jormun is an inactive member of the Pax Tecum Board of Directors (his deputy director is the active representative) and a senior adviser within the Joint Operations Council (JOC), which acts as a body of representatives that advise the CEO on security matters, ranging from internal security to full scale warfare.

As the highest ranking member of the Pax Military and with the ear of the CEO, Aurelia Ramalho, Jormun is chiefly responsible with the overall strategy in use against the United Nations. While his position with the JOC has traditionally been one relegated to a desk, Jormun took the unprecedented move of making his position an 'active' fleet assignment. Jormun oversees the war effort aboard the Humanitas, which has not only become his personal command ship, but his permanent residence as well. 

As a public figure, Jormun's appointment to the council was a highly controversial matter. In a society where multiple marriages are encouraged and families are required by the state, Jormun has never married and has no children. The closest thing to a relationship he has in his life, is an eighteen year old mistress named Gracie, who he keeps sequestered in his VIP quarters aboard the Humanitas. 

No one knows for certain how they met, why she stays with him, or what really their relationship is. As long as he continues to win the war, the authorities, and the population at large seem to be willing to look the other way.

Lance Corporal Valeen Farris

In her forth year of university, the Pax launched their preemptive strike against the UN.  Her husband Marcus and daughter Aubrie were killed on Luna in the first wave of the assault.  Val learned of their death the week before final Exams. She withdrew from school and enlisted in the USMC shortly thereafter.

Farris joined the military out of a sense of revenge, however once there she found a talent and level of skill that she never knew she had. Urged by her instructors not to waste her gifts, and perhaps with some encouragement that she could do much more damage to the Pax by joining the UN, Farris volunteered to be transferred to the UNMC. Once there, she sought an even greater challenge and volunteered to join one of the newly formed Force Reconnaissance division (MECS). 

Even after working her ass off through recon training, she still managed to only graduate next to last in her class.

She officially only has four rides under her belt; the last of which was into the disastrous LZ at Inglesfield. She lost her entire team in that mission and spent the next six months making her way out of enemy territory. As of that mission, she was 24 years old.

Boyce
Boyce is the leader of an elite squad of Jumpers within the standard Jumper Corps.

Boyce has only one wife and four children.

He is a reluctant antagonist, does not blindly follow orders, and actively questions the war, particularly in cases where he has been ordered to perform tasks that are clearly of a violent nature above and beyond what is needed to achieve the mission at hand.
He feels that there must be a better way to settle the dispute between the Pax and the UN.  Not everyone within his unit agrees with that sentiment and tensions are strained at times, however Boyce believes that when it really matters, no amount of disagreement between the members of his team will overcome their ability to have each others back.  Because of this, Boyce has never refused an order, even the ones he knows that are criminal in nature.

Colonel Prentice Brymmer
Prentice is the Executive Officer aboard the UNV Ticonderoga and is responsible for the day to day operation of the Combat Direction Center, which is a separate hub of duty from the ships main bridge. He's been passed over for promotion at least once even after having taken command of the Tico after his then CO was killed in action. After that slight, he choose early retirement, partly due to extenuating circumstances of that event.  While the Admiralty was glad to see him leave, a number of officers hold him contempt for choosing retirement during a time of war.

Six months have passed since then, and Prentice now finds himself back aboard the Tico; again as her XO. Only this time under a CO (Odin Laurie) who is 15 years his junior and who has no trouble making his dislike of him known.

The crew know Prentice and they trust him. He's served with many of them through much of the war and he knows they all have his back but that only drives the rift between Prentice and Odin wider apart. Prentice tries his best to make sure the crew know that they have to stand with their CO, no matter how much their personalities may clash, but the more Prentice tries to mend fences, the more Odin takes it as his XO trying to make the crew side against him.

Prentice had a wife who he hasn't seen since she left him years ago. His daughter keeps in touch, though he isn't really part of her life.

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 04:55:37 PM »
Sounds pretty good.  There are a few things that you want to consider for being a bit distracting, plausibility-wise.

- The Norse names are a bit weird...particularly the villain having the first name WORLD SERPENT ;)  May not bother some people, but this kind of stuff always reminds me of lame fan fiction (even if the story in question is pretty good).  With that being said, certain contemporary cultures do prominently use poetic/virtue-based names, so maybe it's not an issue in your vision of the future. 

- Farris spending six months escaping enemy territory (by herself?) seems rather insane.  I think you can get the same impact and point across by it being a few weeks.  I would think you would have to be some sort of superhuman Master Chief-Sam Fisher hybrid with excellent scavenging abilities to survive alone in enemy territory for six months, although it would depend on the intensity of the conflict.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 05:57:29 PM »
I should have expanded a bit more on the six months behind enemy lines part, seeing as how it's not entirely accurate of the events. 

There are a handful of Marines that survive the crash with her, however none of them are above the rank of Lance Corporal, so she is effectively in command of the survivors.  While they're largely on their own for the first week or so, they soon come into contact with other stranded Marines from other various failed missions, or possibly deserters....it's never exactly clear.  In either case, they never come into contact with anyone that out ranks Farris. 
So by the time they return to an actual UNMC base, most of which is done by traveling on foot, Farris is leading a platoon sized unit, six months have passed, and they've been in enough scrapes to have started to gel as a combat unit.

Also, behind enemy lines, isn't exactly an appropriate term.  There are...swaths of territory that are controlled by the Guardsmen, (due to the fact that the Guardsmen remain largely outnumbered throughout most of the war) to the extent that if you know where to travel, you can pretty much avoid contact with the enemy.  So by going by the last updates Farris had of specific front lines, they're able to largely avoid contact.  In some cases though her information proves to be out of date, and they cross from neutral into enemy territory and find themselves in a fight....or come across an enemy patrol.  (I suppose it would make a bit more sense to assume that at some point they would make contact with some other UNMC forces, however I write this off as saying that they spent most of their time traveling through the central wasteland that exists in central America.)

One of the main problems Farris faces during this time, is maintaining working radio contact, which obviously would provide a means in which they could return to friendly territory, but also provide the much needed fire support when they do come into contact with the enemy.

Luck plays a large role against them as well.  On several occasions, they find some sort of supplies they're looking for, but don't find the parts they need to fix one of the many broken radios they have.  They even find a Bushmaster at one point, but of course the radio doesn't work.  It's not until Farris decides to take the initiative and and go on the offensive, that they finally find the parts they need to fix one of their radios.  This is one of the major themes of the story, expressed best by a quote from Space Above and Beyond: "There is no such thing as luck.  You make things happen."  When they strike out and take a risk to try to achieve something, it will often prove fruitful in some way, however sitting around and waiting for things to come to you, often proves more devastating then if you had simply acted.  This proves true for both sides, and can also be chalked up to the motto, the best defense is a good offense.

There are towns along the way of course, but Farris chooses to avoid most of them, because Jumper units routinely target towns that have given shelter to any UNMC personnel.  This is why a lot of the UNMC bases that will be shown in the story have a mix of military personnel and civilians.  The UNMC has moved in to towns they can use as bases, (towns with lodging for a sufficient force, and open areas to act as an landing zones) in most cases holding a small town with a three to four times the force needed to hold the town....In other cases, civilians are more like refugees, simply trying to escape the war and take shelter where ever they can.

As for the names, everything the Pax do is a bit off, so strange names shouldn't be that surprising....though there's the character Odin, who isn't Pax....at all.....so don't read anything into that.  I think those two are really the only ones that sort of stand out like that though.  I do get what you're saying about it being like lame fan fiction though, and I have to admit I sort of agree.  I'll consider changing Odin's name, though I have to say I've really become fond of the name Jormun.  When I'm writing him, I almost never use the full name at all....everyone calls him Jormun, and the story refers to him as Jormun....so really that's more his name then the full Jormungandr.

I wonder though, if the shortened version is as distracting as the full length name? 

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 10:26:56 PM »
The next short; 'Basement' is proving difficult to finish for some reason, so I've decided to do some write ups that will help you the reader have better grasp of the New Haven-Universe.  These will range from more detailed character profiles/histories, to tech write ups, to historical information...and anything else that I can think of.  So I hope you enjoy them, or at least find them somewhat interesting.  And as always, if you have any questions or comments, please ask....feedback is greatly appreciated as it helps me find and improve things that I've either overlooked or simply hadn't considered.

The Joint Services Logistics Group

Currently, (2165) the primary concern of the JSLG is to oversee the cooperative use of all equipment and personnel operating under the banner of the Joint Coalition Forces.  For example, the JSLG makes sure that the right ammunition goes to the right soldiers (since as of this date, not everyone is using the standard UNMC Assault Rifle) and that soldiers are not posted to duties in which they are under the command within a language they cannot speak.  (Cash Incentives to all soldiers learning a new language has proven highly effective and the addition of bonuses for each additional language has been met with approval.)

It's secondary concern however, although now somewhat less active, harkens back to the early days of the formation of the UNMC; a time when the entire Corps could meet within a single conference room and had but one pistol among them.

Military planners could read the writing on the wall and knew that an economic influenced conflict between Earth Forces and the Mega Corporations was all but inevitable.  The only variables were which of the Corporations would act first and when the conflict would escalate beyond mere threats into a full blown war.

It was clear that if the United Nations was going to lead a united front against this threat, not only would the UN need to call upon all of it's member nations for support, but a standard level of military technology and capabilities would need to be established.  The UN couldn't very well wage an effective war, if the more advanced military's of Earth were being slowed down because less advanced nations were falling behind.  Everyone participating in the conflict would need to be on the same page.

The power to form a standing military force was given in 2145, in a provision granted by a full vote of the General Assembly.

In very short order, a number of events unfolded that would define the formation of the UNMC.  Military advisers were drafted from every member nation and largely given free reign to set in motion the tactics, forces, and resources that would be needed in the coming conflict.  While having so many voices attempting to agree on so many subjects proved difficult at first, a number of strong advocates soon emerged from the pack as early leaders within the UNMC.

One certainty was agreed upon almost immediately.  The UN could never hope to raise an armed force to combat the full might of the combined strength of the six major Corporations, without sufficient time and without a proper infrastructure.  It was proposed that some military units and equipment would need to be drafted into the UN military, wholesale.

It was then that the Joint Service Logistics Group was formed, the first standing body within the UN military, and currently the largest logistics group in operation within the UNMC.

The JSLG would be tasked with evaluating the military hardware which was then currently in use among the UN member nations, and decide which units it would draft into service.  This evaluation process was based on a number of considerations, chief among them, Cost of Production and Maintenance, Performance & Durability, Ease of Use & Maintenance, an of course Combat Effectiveness.

After a four month evaluation, the JSLG presented its findings to the Joint Commanders, outlining the units and personnel they deemed worthy of drafting.  They also presented the JC with the outline for what they saw as a 'wide spread inadequacy of combat effectiveness towards potential Corporation Experience in Ground & Aerospace technologies.'  Their findings presented the JC with two fundamental directives:

The First Directive outlined the creation of military wide ongoing service upgrade program that would develop technologies capable of augmenting and increasing the survivability of military hardware and personnel; as well as increasing the lethality of those same units.  This directive applied to both ground and space hardware.

The Second Directive outlined the creation of a crash program to begin design and construction of a number of military units which would prove vital to the war effort, filling roles that no function weapon systems currently in use could realistically meet.

Seven days after the findings of the JSLG were presented to the Joint Commanders, the Essex class Project was officially created.  Construction of a modular dry-dock began at Terra Anchorage to accommodate the new ship, which at that point was no more real then a signed letter of commitment to the Newport Corporation; one of the few Corporations that chose to remain loyal to Earth.

Over the proceeding months and eventually years, politicians were able to stall the inevitable conflict from escalating.  To many observers, the need for such an aggressive increase in military spending was unwarranted and many projects were scaled back.  However eventually, in 2163, the conflict that so many had been waiting for, finally began and the UN soon discovered that even after almost two decades of preparation, they were still ill prepared for the threat the Corporations posed.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 10:28:53 PM by Jimi James »

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 09:40:35 AM »
I put together this guide for the Squadron Types of the various manned & unmanned vehicles to help me keep track of the various unit types and which units do what. 

Squadron Types

UAV Valkyrie – Unmanned Combat Aerospace Vehicle

Combat Logistics Squadron – ATV – 264 – Valkyrie  Aerospace Tactical Vehicle
The Combat Logistics Squadron is tasked with providing real-time surveillance to ground forces.

Combat Reconnaissance Squadron  – ATV – 264 – Valkyrie  Aerospace Tactical Vehicle
The Combat Reconnaissance Squadron is tasked with providing real-time intelligence to both ground units and flight units as well as directing Combat Support.

UCAV Rapier – Unmanned Combat Aerospace Vehicle

Tactical Support Squadron – ACV – 158 Rapier Aerospace Combat Vehicle
The Rapier Tactical Support Squadron is tasked with providing danger close combat support to ground units through short range engagements and station keeping actions.

UCAV Barracuda – Unmanned Combat Aerospace Vehicle

Tactical Support Squadron – ACV – 147 Barracuda Aerospace Combat Vehicle
The Barracuda Tactical Support Squadron is tasked with providing providing danger close combat support to ground units through through medium to long range heavy ordinance and precision strafing maneuvers.

ACT - Cayuga – Aerospace Combat Transport

Combat Transport Squadron  ACT – 125 Cayuga Heavy Lift Transport
The Cayuga Combat Transport Squadron is tasked with inserting and evacuating troops from a combat zone, be it a safe or hot zone.

Medevac Squadron ACT-C – 125 Cayuga Medical Evacuation Transport
The Cayuga Medevac are tasked with transporting injured personnel from the battlefield and ferrying them to a local medical facility.  All Medevac Squadrons are trained in the performance of combat landings; which require the landing/take-off & loading/off-loading of personnel while under fire.

Tactical Support Squadron ACT-D – 125 Cayuga Heavy Lift Transport
The Cayuga tactical Support Squadron serves much of the same purpose as the UCAV support squadron, albeit based on the manned Cayuga gun ship platform.  Mounting a variety of weapons systems, the Cayuga Gunship is capable of delivering a much more lethal combat presence compared to the Rapier or Barracuda.  The Cayuga's relatively short flight duration compared to the Rapier or Barracuda limits its ability to maintain a combat presence during sustained actions, where as the Rapier and Barracuda can operate at close to twelve hour intervals.

Direct Action Penetrator ACT-G – 125 Cayuga Heavy Lift Transport
The DAP squadron is tasked with inserting special operation units into threat environments through the use of low emission transportation.  While stealth is key, DAP units embrace the philosophy of Force Reconnaissance and are equipped to fight should the need arise.

HAT - Slava Heavy Aerospace Transport

Tactical Heavy Lift Squadron – HAT-B 378 – Slava
The duties of the THL Squadron involves transporting troops and equipment to any location on Earth or any orbital station.  The likelihood of direct combat action is very low.

Combat Heavy Lift Squadron  – HAT-D 379 – Slava
The duties of the CHL Squadron involves transporting troops and equipment to any location on Earth or any orbital station during direct combat actions.

Medevac Heavy Lift Squadron  – HAT-E 379 – Slava
The duties of the MHL Squadron involves transporting injured personnel from the battlefield and ferrying them to a local medical facility.  All MHL squadrons are trained in the performance of combat landings; which require the landing/take-off & loading/off-loading of personnel while under fire.

UAT/V Raven Unmanned Aerial Transport/Vehicle

Tactical Support Squadron – TUAV 198 – Raven – “Rooster”
The Raven Tactical Support Squadrons, or Rooster Squads are they are more commonly referred to, are tasked with providing direct combat support in situations where a full Squadron of Rapiers or Barracuda's would be Impractical or unavailable.

Light Combat Lift Squadron – MUAV 198 – Raven – “Little Bird”
The Raven Tactical Support Squadrons, or Little Bird Squads are they are more commonly referred to, are tasked with delivering a small number of personnel short distances and providing a threat appropriate level of direct combat support for short durations.  Most commonly used in transport of rapid response forces and some special operation units.
The Little Bird Squadrons are currently the only unmanned aerial transports in service.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 08:03:16 AM »
Just a heads up.  I'm going to start posting the New Haven Chronicles Timeline, which begins roughly twenty years from now (2031) and will cover everything that leads up to the point when the story starts; 2165.  Some things closer to the end may be held back for story/spoiler purposes.  I'm not sure yet really.  

It's a bit long, currently about 17 pages and it's not finished yet.  So I'm going to post it in small increments rather then all at once.  This will give me more time to work on it and make it easier for readers to digest, rather then trying to take on the entire history in one sitting.  When all is said and done, I'll release a single comprehensive version as a single file.

This is really what the entire story is built on, so what I'm asking is that when I start posting the Timeline, it would be helpful to me if if eyes other then mine could go over it as thoroughly as possible.  Questions, motivations, plausibility, and generally point things that I've missed, haven't thought of, and/or aren't clear.  I'm looking for as much feed back as possible.

I'll try to get the first installment up here before the end of the weekend.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 06:01:17 PM »
The timeline is broken up into three sections, The Decline of Man, the Twenty-Second Century, and The Road to War.  This is the first twenty (roughly) years of the first section.  A lot of this early part, doesn't really have all that much to do with the series itself, but is more in the sense of world building, having to get from one point to the next before the final point in which an event takes place, can actually occur.  Still, from time to time, there might be things that I'm simply interested in that are thrown in just for the sake of having it in there, which will have no direct bearing on the story whatsoever.

And as I said previously, I'd like as much input into this as possible.  So feel free to speak up in regards to anything you have questions or comments about.

Part One: The Decline of Man

For the first time, unmanned aerial vehicles outnumber the number of manned aircraft in the United States armed forces.  Entire air wings are now composed entirely of UAV and UCAV squadrons.

The use of paper thin displays and flexible computing surfaces are commonplace.

The final leg of the intercontinental High Speed Railway is completed, allowing unhindered travel between Canada, the United States, and Mexico.  Further development of the High Speed Railway remains slow across the United States.

The UN recognizes for the first time, that climate related disasters will effect more people then any other form of natural occurring disasters.  In the wake of numerous epidemics, climate related flooding of low lying coastal areas, the demolishment of impoverished cities by earthquakes/hurricane/typhoon; the UN can offer only token assistance to any one crisis.  As members begin to abandon the already crippled entity to tend to their own needs, the United Nations begins operating in name only.

As the global energy crisis continues, the development of Hydrogen power sources and other renewable energies are greatly pursued.  Nuclear power continues to carry the stigma of past catastrophes.

June 11
Citing the loss of over a third of its membership, as well as the inability to effect any real outcome, other then verbal condemnation, the United Nations is officially disbanded.  Acting Secretary General Alyi Abduala presides over the final session of the Security Council and is the final signatory of UN Resolution D-0232629; disbanding the General Assembly.

Having lived well beyond its original intended lifespan, the ISS is stripped of all useable resources put into a controlled de-orbit.  The final American Astronauts and Russian Cosmonauts to depart the station, do so as comrades.  With the vast majority of its funding diverted to social programs in an attempt to help push back the worsening depression that grips the United States and most of the world, the mission to bring the last ISS inhabitants home, is the final NASA mission of the year.

World wide wireless information services become standard and achieve speeds beyond those seen in fiber optic landlines.

Automated Traffic control through the major highway and interstates, provides reliable rail like transportation between many major cities.  Within many cities, fully automated public transportation is common.

April 13
The Near Earth Object, 99942 Apophis passes relatively close to earth, setting new records for a near miss, and raising further awareness for the need to monitor local space.
Summer
A violent strain of RU-195a3 begins sweeping through South America.  Within three weeks, the Flu has ravaged Mexico.
September 21
The United States closes it's borders and deploys the Nation Guard to ensure that no one crosses the quarantine zone.  The move fails to stop the flu however and by the final week of September, the first cases of  RUH-195a3 are found in the United States.

Spring
A vaccine is finally perfected, though by the time it can be administered to the public, the death toll has exceeded three million.  Children, the elderly, and those with auto-immune diseases account for the largest percentage of fatalities.
The death toll in South America is never officially verified, however it's suspected to have exceeded fifteen million.
Having spread to Europe and Asia by the mid summer, the death toll is estimated to have surpassed fifty million.  Though experts from the World Health Organization claim that is an incredibly low estimate.

Spring
Private and public free roaming sea nations petition for full government recognition.  These independent nations cater to the super rich and offer luxuries beyond the most extravagant measures available most industrialized nations.  While a handful of public and non-profit nations are in operation, they are outnumbered nearly three to one, by privately owned commercial ventures.

Fall
Reliable consumer robotics become wildly available, from simple household servants to fully independent workers, capable of performing a variety of occupational tasks.

Thirty-Four countries join forces to form the United African Republic.  This democratic commonwealth of nations is the first of its kind on the continent.  Progress is slow in the face of vast obstacles, such as long standing feuds, health issues, and mass poverty.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 10:19:42 AM »
Seems pretty good so far.  The only problems I see are some minor grammatical issues and the like.  By "free roaming sea nations" do you mean some sort of mobile artificial islands?
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 10:34:28 AM »
Thanks.  And yeah, though a variety would likely exist in the form of artificial islands located off relatively shallow coastal water, much like New Haven, and large almost resort like cruise ships that permanently house thousands of people....roaming the oceans from port to port.  A few would even be more along the lines of what we would expect to see as some sort of oil rig/platform....and there might even be instances where abandoned rigs have been purchased by private owners. 

I have an idea involving one such rig, which would be a sort of one off story, involving a secondary group of characters and wouldn't involve the main cast.  Sort of like, 'while the main story was happening here, this other stuff was happening as well.'  I'm not sure if or when I'll get to it though.

Offline caisson2delta

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 01:27:43 PM »
That's a great time line and good explanation of things so far. It also seems quite logical and believable. I look forward to more.

Offline Juvat

• Prolific Member
  • USAF Weapons Instructor
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 01:31:49 PM »
Oustanding work, Jimi.  As far as a timeline goes it works really well insomuch as there's enough info to get you started, but it's not overwhelming to the point of too much info.  I wish I had the time to mold my universe into something as detailed as yours.
"In God We Trust"

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 02:12:36 PM »
Sounds really encouraging so far actually, more realistic than I expected given the dubious plausibility of some fanfics.  There were a few very minor things that stuck out, but overall, it sounds quite good.

- In terms of automated traffic, etc.: this just stuck out because it came after you mentioned the depression two years prior.  Is this a relatively cheap system, or one that has been slowly building up for a long time?

-  I assume the flu strain is 'the big one', but given the SARS/avian flu/swine flu scares we've had and the increasingly convenient, networked travel you're talking about, one would presume other major disease outbreaks have occurred too?

- I feel like your history may understate the energy crisis and the volatility of the Middle East a bit.  The first mention is really 2029, and I think some of the nuclear power stigma would have been conquered by then.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 07:35:46 AM »
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the response.  Hopefully the rest of the time line will be as well received.

I should have the next section ready in a couple days, hopefully getting through the twenty-first century by the end of the week...as well as making some revisions to the earlier sections.  Things should begin to pick up relatively quickly as the time line moves away from the present and begins to focus more on building up the events that lead to the conflict between the UN and the Pax.  You'll actually get to see much of the conflict, or at least read a brief synopsis of it, since the story doesn't really begin until near the end of the war.

- In terms of automated traffic, etc.: this just stuck out because it came after you mentioned the depression two years prior.  Is this a relatively cheap system, or one that has been slowly building up for a long time?

The automated traffic, is some sort of extension of these ideas, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automated_highway_system

Likely it would be less like the sort of dedicated automated highways that I was trying to suggest, and more along the lines of augmentation of existing roadways that help to accommodate automated vehicles.  We're already seeing a trend towards this now, with a number of new cars have an automated parking function.  When I start on revisions, I'll try to make it a bit more clear.

-  I assume the flu strain is 'the big one', but given the SARS/avian flu/swine flu scares we've had and the increasingly convenient, networked travel you're talking about, one would presume other major disease outbreaks have occurred too?

Additional outbreaks of old and new diseases are certainly a possibility.  However I really didn't want to get bogged down early on trying to overwhelm the time line with lots of doom and gloom forecasts.  In some areas like this, things might be left open so that they can be filled in with a character specific related detail.  While I don't currently have such an instance in mind, I really wanted to just sort of hit only one major illness type event, while certainly others have likely occurred. 
In fact, there is another epidemic of sorts later on in the time line during the 22nd century and while it's not as devastating as the earlier one, it does play into the conflict brewing between the UN and the Pax.

- I feel like your history may understate the energy crisis and the volatility of the Middle East a bit.  The first mention is really 2029, and I think some of the nuclear power stigma would have been conquered by then.

I think you're right, the time line does probably need to make a stronger statement as to the severity of the crisis and the violence directly related to it.  In this case, I feel it's more important to say there's simply an extension or escalation of existing problems, rather then trying to nail down specific dates and occurrences of events that have transpired...which is really a problem that exists for much of this part of the time line.  The beginning is so close to our present, that I run the risk of having things in my universe proven wrong by real world events, in a rather short period of time...much like Star Trek and the Eugenics Wars that tool place in the 90's. ;)
I suppose that's just something I'll have to live with.

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 06:10:54 PM »
That shouldn't be an issue, it's a fictional universe, so go ahead and plan stuff out to take place in the next few years. It's not like if they fail to come to pass, your entire work is meaningless. It's fiction, and unless people are retarded, you'll be fine.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 06:39:41 PM »
Thanks.  And yeah, though a variety would likely exist in the form of artificial islands located off relatively shallow coastal water, much like New Haven, and large almost resort like cruise ships that permanently house thousands of people....roaming the oceans from port to port.  A few would even be more along the lines of what we would expect to see as some sort of oil rig/platform....and there might even be instances where abandoned rigs have been purchased by private owners. 

This was inspired by the Freedom ship, among other things, wasn't it?

http://www.freedomship.com/
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 06:51:27 PM »
...which is really a problem that exists for much of this part of the time line.  The beginning is so close to our present, that I run the risk of having things in my universe proven wrong by real world events, in a rather short period of time...much like Star Trek and the Eugenics Wars that tool place in the 90's. ;)
I suppose that's just something I'll have to live with.

I'm sure it doesn't concern people like Tom Clancy as they go to sleep every night on their bed of money. ;)  Like Daft said, I really wouldn't worry about it.  It's kind of unavoidable anyway. 

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 01:42:36 AM »

This was inspired by the Freedom ship, among other things, wasn't it?

http://www.freedomship.com/

Yeah, to some degree.  It's always seemed like a very cool idea and even if it was some sort of stationary micro-nation off the coast of another country (which is what New Haven becomes), I still think it would be interesting to have all these sort of smaller nations where like minded people could gather to live as they see fit, almost free of other government influence.  Granted, there's the possibility of abuse there, with nations that allow or even endorse behavior that the rest of the world abhors, such as slavery or human trafficking...just to name a few possibilities.

And I guess you guys are right, at some point you just have to commit to what you're creating and go all in, no matter how it plays against the real world.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2010, 10:18:08 AM »
Have at it.  It feels a bit more rough to me in some places, but then it's also staring to get more into the actual development of things that will effect the story....so more is going on.  It can likely use some refinement, but the groundwork is there.

A new generation of augmented youth begin to enter maturity as the most powerful economic group in many industrialized countries.  This vast array of socially open/blind is yet a further evolution of the youth based technology driven generation, that has grown up with a variety of commonplace technologies, which earlier generations are still learning to use.
This wi-fi linked group with an almost hive like social mentality, are augmented with technology directly into their body.  Those that haven't opted for new synthetic eyes that see better then normal vision wear HUD contacts which greatly enhance a persons perception of the world around them, displaying data from a plethora of customizable sources; including implanted extrasensory nodes and data storage devices.
Further enhancements range from mere cosmetic products such as nano-fiber hair implants which can change color and style at with a persons mood & thought, to fully prosthetic limb replacement; however the latter remains an extreme fringe of the whole group.
Variable camouflage battlefield uniforms are wildly adapted for use in many military's.  
While many nations continue to make progress in the development of various cloaking technologies, battlefield tests prove the technology to be highly unreliable.
The widespread use of escapist media, including the resurgence of virtual reality, becomes common place among industrialized nations, as environmental and religious based conflicts continue to dominate global activity.  Health issues relating from inactivity and poor nutrition, even within wealthy nations continues to lead
The Pax Tecum company is officially incorporated.  With a growing interests in a wide variety of fields ranging from Aerospace technologies to pharmaceuticals, the move is of little note to the public.
March 23
The first successful energy production Fusion Reactor is brought online near Cadarache in Bouches-du-Rhône, Provence-Alps-Cote-d'Azur, France only a few kilometers from the original ITER (International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor) complex.
April
Three weeks later, the relatively unknown Pax Tecum Corporation, begins construction of their own fusion reactor, based on plans bought from the French Government.  Similar sales and construction efforts begin around the world.
Rapid prototyping of a new ITER complex is pushed forward.  This new Reactor will be designed and built from the ground up to serve as a large scale consumer energy production facility.
While no official statement is ever given, many speculate that the Pax Corporation will bypass the work done by the French and proceed directly towards their own large scale energy production facility.  The Fusion Race officially begins.
February
To help in becoming the first nation to begin commercial energy production from Fusion Technology, the French Government agrees to work with a number of outside contractors.  In turn for this help, full blueprints and documentation for the ITER prototype is made available.  The race is no longer simply between the French and the Pax Corporation.  Russia, China, India, and the United States are all now active and leading competitors.
April 3
The Pax Corporation begins their public campaign to raise funding for the New Haven project.  The Project calls for the creation of a man made island, upon which twin Fusion Reactors will feed directly into a the main hub of a Global Power Grid.
April 23
In a surprising twist, Canada leaps to the forefront in the Fusion Race as a backer of the Pax Corporation by agreeing to a lease a portion of Canadian Territorial waters for the constructions of an artificial island.  In turn the Pax agree that Canada will be the first beneficiary of their plans to establish a Global Power Grid.  
April 25
Wasting no time in cementing their new partnership, ground breaking ceremonies for the New Haven Project are held off the coast of Newfoundland.
Although numerous skeptics speak out against such claims, the world fears the day that they believe is coming when the oil will stop flowing. Public support for cheap fusion power is widespread.
June 18
Over one two dozen nations sign the New Haven Accords, pledging support to help fund the effort to establish a Global Power Grid, powered entirely by fusion reactors.
May 7
Construction of New Haven island begins off the costs of Newfoundland, in the Northern Atlantic above the Flemish Cap, in an area of shallow water near the Grand Banks.
August
An accident at the French ITER complex forces a one month shut down of the project.  While safety concerns still abound, the joint committee of project leaders agree to push forward in fear that the Pax Corporation will succeed in bringing their reactor online first.
January 18
Construction begins on New Haven's main basin ridge, upon which the twin Fusion Reactors will sit.  
France finally activates their ITER complex, successfully powering one city block via their hastily formed power grid.  The Grid runs for only one hour before it is shut down.  The French government and its participants claim victory in the Fusion Race, however numerous detractors point out that the Grid is now offline, with no word on when it will be up and running again.
April 19
Construction of Reactor-One begins on New Haven.
August 12
Construction of Reactor-Two begins on New Haven.
December 31
With three hours to spare before their deadline, primary construction of New Haven Island is completed.  The island of roughly 3750 square miles, will be home to some 1600 Corporate employees and their families, as well as serving as the location and residence for the new Pax Tecum Corporate Headquarters.
September 29
Construction of the Island's infrastructure, roads, homes, and commercial district is completed.  Residents of New Haven begin moving into their new homes.
November
Winter storms in the Northern Atlantic, slow construction and delay the official move of the Pax Headquarters to New Haven.
January 1
The Pax Corporation relocates its corporate headquarters to New Haven.
December 13
Primary construction of reactor Red-One (so named because of the thick red stripe that brands many of the buildings) is completed.
January 1
Red-One goes online, surpassing the consumption needs of New Haven.
Unlike the French reactor, Red-One is left on, albeit at reduced capacity.
March-17
Red-One is connected to the local power Grid, powering Newfoundland and over half of eastern Canada.
December
After some minor delays, Red-Two is brought online.  The combined output of the two reactors is more then enough to power all of Canada.
Spring
As of this point, Red-One has been operating for nearly twelve months non stop.  This level of reliability is enough to convince most all detractors that the Pax Corporation has won the Fusion race.
Orders from nations requesting the purchase of a Pax Fusion Plant, begin pouring in.  Before any of them are met, the Pax hold up their end of the New Haven Accords and begin supplying all signatories with the blueprints for the Pax Fusion Plant, engineers to help build the plant, and specialists to teach them how to operate them, all provided free of charge.
While a handful of smaller corporations, such as the Velos corporation, succeed in manufacturing their own fusion plant designs, none of them are able to achieve the success equal to that of the Pax corporation.
Advances in artificial organ creation, ranging from cloned donors to fully mechanical replacements, finally allow organ availability to match the need for donors.
Acting in combination with the further development of a universal blood-type for short term use in emergency care, organ replacement becomes commonplace and low risk.
A hundred miles from New Haven, the New Hope island is constructed.  This island will serve as the center for the new formed Pax Space Agency.  They have one goal, to extend the use of Fusion Power in the development of commercially viable space flight.
Hydrogen Fuel Cells are widely available for commercial use, in cost effective and practical applications.  It remains unclear whether or not Fuel Cell technology will be competitive in the market of global energy production.  Many annalists suspect that while Fusion Technology will go a long way towards solving the energy crisis, Fuel Cell technology will prove to be its counterpart in many mobile field, such as transportation.
Reusable single stage engines are in wide use, allowing aircraft to take off from runways and easily reach orbit.  The technology remains highly expensive and finds little commercial use beyond extravagant 'cruises' for the wealthy.  
This development, along with the further pursuit of UAV craft and hypersonic missiles, accelerates the further decline of the world's navies.
Force projection is no longer a viable strategy when manned and unmanned craft piloted from the safety of home, can reach any destination on Earth faster then a fleet of warships could be deployed to the region.
Summer
As a record breaking heat wave grips much of the northern hemisphere, the global population surges past twelve million.  Estimates project a possible population of greater then fifteen to sixteen billion by the end of the century.
Winter
The Mato Project introduces the world to Harriet, a near sentient cybernetic life form with artificial grown skin, eyes, and hair.  While Harriet lacks many requirements to be considered a sentient life form, it is noted that she doesn't merely imitate the behavior of humans based on a set of programed patterns, but rather obtains her personality and behavior in the same manner as a newborn child, learning from outside stimuli of that in which she is exposed to.
In the wake of the development of Harriet and many other similar projects which claim to have constructed even more advanced artificial intelligences; thirteen nations sign the AI Sentience Security Act, effectively curtailing the development of fully sentient cybernetics within their respective countries.
Several of the major development projects working to create sentient cybernetic life forms are forced to relocate to safe harbors; where their work will not be disrupted.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 12:48:41 AM by Jimi James »

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2010, 06:56:48 PM »
Sounds good so far.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2010, 04:26:41 PM »
Thanks.

I made the following change to the 2055 entry in regards to the development of Fusion and Fuel Cell technology being developed as a one two punch against the energy crisis.
A hundred miles from New Haven, the New Hope island is constructed.  This island will serve as the center for the new formed Pax Space Agency.  They have one goal, to extend the use of Fusion Power in the development of commercially viable space flight.
Hydrogen Fuel Cells are widely available for commercial use, in cost effective and practical applications.  It remains unclear whether or not Fuel Cell technology will be competitive in the market of global energy production.  Many annalists suspect that while Fusion Technology will go a long way towards solving the energy crisis, Fuel Cell technology will prove to be its counterpart in many mobile fields, such as transportation.

I figure I'll highlight changes like this, rather then just saying I've made updates and making you all search through the previous thread to try and find what has been altered.