Author Topic: The New Haven Chronicles - The Story  (Read 26242 times)

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
Re: The New Haven Chronicles - The Story
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2010, 12:26:03 PM »
No.  Prentice is the fist officer.  The cat is named Simon.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »
“I've spent a lot of time on Earth; more then most people my age.  I could live here if they'd let me, but they' never will.”  – Squad Leader Boyce; 7th Jumper Unit
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 07:40:55 PM by Jimi James »
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2010, 02:07:26 PM »
“We're all dieing, they're just going first.” – General Oliver Laurie  (in regards to the UN's need to hold out long enough for the Pax to all die off)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 07:41:07 PM by Jimi James »

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2010, 03:02:59 PM »
A brief over view of the political and military structure of the United Nations & the Pax Tecum Corporation.

Untied Nations: Joint Diplomatic  & Military Organization

Head of Government: Security General
   Current Secretary General: Alvaro Masai (2165)
      Vice Secretary General: Alton Thornburgh

Executive Branch: Security Council
   Minister of Defense: Loren Kahuna
Legislative branch: General Assembly
Judicial Branch: Court of Justice

Primary Headquarters: Terra Anchorage, Earth Orbit
Secondary Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland Earth

Military Command Authority: Solar Command (SOLCOMM)

SOLCOMM
      Director of Operations: General Waylon Tillens
      United Nations Expeditionary Defense Force: Imogen Sutler
      United Nations Marine Corps Commandant: Lieutenant General Deepak Tariq
      United Nations Orbital Ground Support: General Ochoa
      United Nations Militia: Admiral Falk
         Senior Officer of Naval Intelligence: Admiral Pavlov Sirovoska
         Director Special Activities Division: Captain Alynna Nehru

Director of Joint Services Logistical Group: Director Markovic
      United Nations Special Operations Command
         Advanced Reconnaissance Operations Service
         Expeditionary Ranger Regiment

Wartime Advisory Positions:

Active Coalition Commander: Field Marshall Jasmine Kaur
      Senior Field Commander Space: Major General Christopher Pike – Terra Anchorage
      Senior Field Commander Ground: Major General Diem Pek
      Current Expeditionary Strike Group Commander: Brigadier General Oliver Laurie
         Current Expeditionary Strike Group
            UNV-Ticonderoga
               Brigadier General Oliver Laurie
               First Officer Prentice Brymmer

Pax Tecum Corporation

Head of State:
   Chairman: Aurelia Ramalho

Legislative Branch:
   Board of Directors

Judicial Branch:
   Judaical Advocate Authority      

Military Command Authority:
   Central Command (CENTCOMM)

S&E Interplanetary LLC Liaison: Colonel Jenci Varga

Director of Combat Operations: Fleet Admiral Jormun Arakel
         Deputy Director of Combat Operations:

Director of Guardsmen Operations General Isabella Williams

Director of Strategic Operations: General Nina Simone

Director of State: Abel Garland

Director of Intelligence: Colonel Wade Wells

Field Commander Space: Brigadier Niko Saculla
      Field Commander: Earth: Brigadier Ezra Zhou

« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 08:55:38 AM by Jimi James »

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2010, 01:28:02 PM »
“Rubbish drivers; they think their arse gets lit sitting in a comfy chair, a fresh pint in arms reach.  They oughta try on a real cockpit and see what it's like fallin' outta the sky when some Squatter starts shaggin' fist sized holes through your fuselage; a dozen voices rammin' at you to pull off some bloody miracle to gett'em on the ground in a state other then dead.  You can't unplug from that and grab a bunk down the hall to sleep it off.  And I won't fly with anyone that can.” --  Hutch – Cayuga Pilot (no rank ever given) Voicing his disdain for Unmanned Vehicle Operators; Drivers....never pilots

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2010, 01:24:59 AM »
“I wasn't prepared for this.  My training, it didn't cover this level of violence; the sheer volume of cruelty they've shown us.  It's as if they are trying to get every life back from any Guardsmen they find.  It's a price that can never be repaid.”  – Squad Leader Boyce; 7th Jumper Unit

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2010, 07:39:30 PM »
“Now they all wear that damn nano-fiber weave that's more advanced then anything our R&D is coming up with.  I've seen marines empty a mag of fifty cal SAP rounds into a charging squad of Guardsmen and not drop a single one.  Their armor absorbs kinetic force that would crush a human, so we end up having to put them down with rounds that would stomp most ass.  The way things are going, our drivers are gonna rack more kills then anyone on the ground.  So the best advice I can give anyone, is to never be beyond arms reach of a comm unit.  In most cases, getting a live Combat Operations Director on the line will save your life faster then being in a ROWS seat.” Senior Field Commander Ground: Major General Diem Pekl
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 11:34:24 AM by Jimi James »

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2010, 11:56:24 PM »
"Moral took quite a hit when they wiped out the Second AROS Company.  AROS are the best the UNMC has to offer and the Second were no slackers.  If a Squatter can put them down, what does that say about the rest of us."  Sergeant Eugene Kowalski, to a SNN Reporter at FOB AZUL
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 11:35:22 AM by Jimi James »

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2010, 01:40:53 AM »
"There's something different about him.  He cares about these people like they're us.  I would think it's obvious even to him, but I find myself constantly reminding him they're not anything like us.  He knows that of course, but the fact I have to remind him at all doesn't speak well to his future in the company.” Ayame Team Leader, 7th Jumper Unit

I've started a blog as a sort of catch all for the project.  There isn't really anything new on their yet as I'm still sorting things out, though if you want to stop by and leave a message, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Blog: http://newhavenchronicles.wordpress.com/

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2010, 11:54:16 AM »
“If I must give my life, I do so knowing it was in the service of our countrymen, so that others might continue the fight in my stead; knowing that yours was the last face I saw before the end.”  Text message from Captain Alexei Mirkovich, commanding officer RFS Kirov, lost with all hands at the First Battle of Luna, intended recipient unknown

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2010, 09:18:50 AM »
Made a slight update to the UN data sheet.
http://www.subspace-comms.net/index.php?topic=3387.msg119923#msg119923

The main changes have to do with the different branches of the UN military, which now consist of the Expeditionary Defense Force which makes up the fleet of UN ships and is generally used to refer to the UN military as a whole, the Marine Corps which serves as the bulk of the armed forces, Orbital Ground Support which consists of transports (cargo/personnel) as well as UAV and UCAV's, and the Militia which consists of the various military forces from member nations that for whatever reason have not joined the UN military proper.  The militia takes on the role of national defense, and can bolster the UN in times of domestic troubles, while the Marines focus on global defense.  Currently however because the UN military is still quite young, not all of this has fallen into place yet and there is still more of a coalition of forces vying to combat the conflict, rather then a solid unified front.

There are some other changes, but those are the big ones.  Aside from the 'Marines,' I wanted to break away from the use of Army, Navy, and Air Force terms which don't really do justice to a military force capable of traveling to another planet, and laying siege to whatever life they might find there.  Though realistically, the UN would be lucky to make it much further then Mars.

I'll have a more thorough write-up for the various factions, which will cover all of this and more, up soon-ish.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2010, 08:40:54 AM »
Originally, this was going to be the opening of the first episode, Orbital Decay, but it didn't really fit.  So I've decided to simply release it on it's own.

A Wake Up Call

The First Battle of Luna was a clear and decisive strike against the United Nations Shipyards and Helium3 refineries in orbit of Luna, led by the Pax Tecum corporation and the S&E Interplanetary Security Firm, but ultimately supported by the entirety of the Allied Corporations.  Aside from the obvious military implications of crippling the UN's fuel production capabilities, capturing or destroying much of the Second Expeditionary Strike Group (2-ESG), as well as capturing the UN's largest ship production and repair facility; the Allied operation was an impressive physiological victory against the United Nations.  In one well coordinated assault, the Pax and their allies had delivered a clear message to Earth; they were fully capable of tactically matching the UN and they would act when pressured.

While their intentions appeared clear, many couldn't understand the failure to press a considerable tactical advantage during the engagement.  The sophisticated and overwhelmingly coordinated nature of the operation had caught the UN completely off guard.  With the Second ESG tied down at Luna and the First ESG scattered across the inner system near SOL in support of various training exercises, the Pax could have walked right up to Earth and kicked in the front door relatively unchallenged.  But they waited, choosing instead to hold back their forces and secure Luna.

Taking the Lunar Shipyards intact was prize enough some argued, but many senior advisers couldn't shake the feeling the Allied Forces had deliberately restrained from pushing their advance.  Some even argued their actions were not intentional at all and were in fact a tactical blunder, failing to see an apparent tactical advantage where one was clearly evident.  Still others suggested the Allies had no desire to further pursue open conflict, taking the one prize they wanted and not needing to seek further aggression against an adversary which had so thoroughly had it's ass handed to it.

The debate continued for over three months as to what actions the Allied Corporations might take next.  All attempts at negotiation were refused, and any probe into their territory was met with lethal force.  It seemed clear they wanted nothing to do with anyone outside the Allied Corporation; which was not without it's benefits to the UN.

This period of inactivity gave the the United Nations Expeditionary Forces a chance to catch their collective breath and for those three months, the UNEF focused its attention on preparations towards future engagements.  Though for many, preparations for conflict and failed diplomatic overtures weren't enough. Facing the demands of dozens of corporate sponsors with holdings on Luna and the lost assets of numerous UN Member Nations, the Security Council had no choice but to launch a retaliatory strike in an attempt to retake Luna.

The Second Battle of Luna finally answered the question everyone had been asking.  Operation Overlord was a halfhearted attempt to retake Luna, with little concern given to the liberation of the ground colony, which during the three month interim had been thoroughly reinforced with Allied Guardsmen.  Using many of the Shipyards own orbital defenses against the UN forces, the Allies proved they didn't need to continue their assault against Earth.  Given enough time, the UN would come to them, expending a great number of resources in an endeavor that could only end in failure.

Drawing out the UN forces in a halfhearted assault, was only part of their apparent strategy however.  The Allies had been waiting for the final pieces of their war machine to be set in place and with its focus on Luna, the UN was ill prepared to defend Earth against a ground assault from within.

The tactical blunder of Operation Overlord allowed the Allies to land an estimated quarter million troops on Earth.  Using the global assets of the S&E Security Firm as their bases of operation and supplemented by their sizable standing ground force, the Allies now had a foothold on Earth; forcing the United Nations to fight a war on two fronts.

Across Earth, August 21, 2163 became known colloquially as G-Day; the day the Guardsmen began returning home in force.  It seemed clear now the message the Allies had intended from day one.  They were coming home, and there would be no stopping them.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 11:06:41 AM by Jimi James »

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2010, 10:46:33 AM »
I've been working on parts one & two of Season One.  I know for sure that there are at least two seasons, but anything beyond that will depend on how the war unfolds...and likely how well the series is received.  At this point, I feel somewhat confident enough to go ahead and give you a preliminary list of the episodes I have planned for Season One.  Episode titles are subject to change and this list only includes major episodes.  Any type of short story or vignette that may be released throughout the season aren't included.

Season One – Tentative

1. Orbital Decay – Pilot (release date: January 1, 2011...hopefully)
2. Know the Ledge
3. Don't Leave Home
4. Some Kind of Sinner
5. Don't Swear the Technique
6. The Road to Thunder
7. The Thunder of Guns
8. Into the Black
9. One and Five
10. War Beyond the Worlds End

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2010, 02:30:34 AM »
Someone on DeviantArt asked for a brief history of the conflict, after seeing a pic of the Essex Class.  And while I've covered most of this already here to some degree, I figured I'd post the 'primer' anyway.  This is the short and sweet version that glosses over a lot of the nuances of the series and boils it down to the basics.

Primer...Not even close to everything you need to know in one handy page.

In the mid 21st century, the Pax Corporation developed viable fusion technology on an artificially created island, called New Haven. This catapulted them to the forefront of many leading industries, primarily energy management and consumption. With the energy crisis all but over by the 22nd century, the Pax turned their attention towards space. By this time, a number of other mega corporations had followed in the Pax example and were now boasting economic power capable of rivaling some medium sized nations.

At the same time, the United Nations was finally dissolved in face of the growing isolationism of its members. When the Corporations began growing in power and dictating how the resources procured in space were to be utilized, the few remaining space faring nations on Earth banded together to reform the UN as a means to stand together against the corporations.

For many years, the UN held an uneasy alliance with the Alliance of Corporations as each entity began to become dependent on the other. The vast infrastructure the Alliance had created, allowed the exploitation of space at a far cheaper cost of manpower and resources then what Earth would have otherwise endured. The procurement of Helium3, a vital component of the fuel used in all fusion power generation, remained squarely in the hands of the Allies, the manufacturing of food and other items which couldn't be produced in space or under the domed colonies placed Earth in an enviable position of negotiation. The further the Allies expanded their reach into space, the more they required resources which could only be found on Earth.

Finally tired of having Earth holding them back, the Allies sought military action to bring Earth under their control. While the combined military's of the United Nations far outnumbered the private military contractors the Corporations relied on for protection, the Allies held a distinct advantage of experience and a slight technological superiority over the majority of Earth’s space faring nations.

When the Allies finally attacked the Lunar Ship Yards, it was all the UN could do to keep from being overwhelmed. Now, nearly two years later, with a war on two fronts, Allied Forces presenting a constant threat in space, while an intense ground war rages across several contents on Earth, the UN is facing defeat.

Some important details....

In the New Haven Chronicles, there are no aliens. There is no FTL. There are no laser guns wielded by supermen, clad in power armored suits....not that there's anything wrong with that. Everything is as realistic as possible....most of the time. Think Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers....but in the future. People die, people get promoted and move on, and it's generally a lot of sitting around waiting for things to happen, punctuated by intense moments of action. This is military science fiction, with stress on the military and technology aspects of the universe, however not to the detriment of the characters or the story.

This version of the primer seems to stress the general conflict as a whole while leaving out much of the development of the ground war, which plays a sizable role in the series, equal if not larger then the space combat portion of the story.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2012, 01:13:38 PM »
This is the first draft for Embrace the Suck.  It doesn't really deal much with the main story, but it's something.  Let me know how the PDF looks or if you have any trouble with it.  

Coming up next Friday, Dock Three.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 08:52:46 AM by Jimi James »

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
New Haven is Coming...
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2012, 01:51:52 PM »
I've been reading Game of Thrones.  I guess it's rubbing off.

Anyway, I have a new blog, where you can follow all my writing, particularly anything related to the New Haven Chronicles, though I'll post about other things as well.  The old blog always ran slow and didn't really offer anything more then the free version, so I decided to switch back to the free version of wordpress....forgot to transfer everything though.  D'oh!
We can rebuild it.  Stronger, faster, better.

The point of all of this?  The story is finally coming and sense the literature upload feature here at dA is not the most user friendly feature, I'll be posting the story online at the blog. 

The first short story is up and the second will be online this Friday.  Also coming soon, is the full timeline, which I've finally gotten off my ass and started seriously working on, as well as the first full episode; Orbital Decay.  This first episode serves as the proper introduction to the series and I should say up front that it will likely be for sale through Smashwords, though you should be able to purchase it through most ebook services, like Amazon, Apple, and Barnes & Noble.  The shorts will remain free, but the larger stories will be for sale at some reasonable price, less than the price of a massmarket paperback novel, so it's not so bad. 

I hope that's not a deal breaker for anyone.  This is my job though, and besides, a man's gotta eat.

Here's the link finally.  Go there, read things, leave comments or ask questions, or just lurk if that's your thing.  I don't judge...much.
http://jonmichaelmay.wordpress.com/

Offline Juvat

• Prolific Member
  • USAF Weapons Instructor
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2012, 01:08:23 PM »
"Embrace the Suck" is a good short story.  I liked it quite a bit.  Are you going to edit anymore as far as grammar or anything?
"In God We Trust"

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2012, 01:21:10 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to read it.  This was just the first draft, or at least the first public draft.  It will receive one or two more passes before being set in stone, but the story itself is pretty much set, which is why I wanted to go ahead and get it out.

I'm a couple weeks ahead of in my release schedule right now, so I should be able to keep up a fairly steady release of content for the next several weeks.  There will be a new story tomorrow so, I hope you come back and check it out as well.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2012, 12:38:22 PM »
As promised, the next short story in the New Haven Chronicles; Dock Three.

Dock Three is the first of a number of short stories that contain characters and plot elements which will directly connect to the main story.  The payoff might not be immediate, but it will be there down the road.

Coming up next week, Part One of the newly revised New Haven Timeline.
Again, this is the first public draft and as always, feel free to comment and ask questions.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 08:51:33 AM by Jimi James »

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2012, 08:39:16 PM »
Here's part one of the Timeline; The Decline on Man.

This part of the timeline chronicles the further worsening of current economic, political, and environmental conditions around the world.  It also highlights the development of several important technologies such as paper thin computer surfaces, highspeed railways across North America, and the the first stages of our steps towards fusion based technologies.  This part of the timeline also Chronicles what becomes a global showdown in the middle-east region over the consumption of petroleum, resulting in the eventual exchange of nuclear weapons.

You can also read it here: http://jonmichaelmay.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/the-new-haven-chronicles-timeline-part-one.pdf
or here:
http://jonmichaelmay.wordpress.com/temp/part-one-the-decline-of-man/

Again, this is the first public draft and as always, feel free to comment and ask questions.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 01:09:03 PM by Jimi James »

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2012, 06:01:07 PM »
Here's the link to Part Two: The Rise of Solar Corporations.  A bit late, but close enough.
http://jonmichaelmay.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/the-new-haven-chronicles-timeline-part-two.pdf

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2013, 02:48:19 AM »
Posting this here as well, just in case anyone interested might have missed it in the art thread.  I would love some feedback if anyone wants to take the time.
You can read an exert from Orbital Defiance, the first book in the The New Haven Chronicles series, over on dA:
http://jon-michael-may.deviantart.com/art/New-Haven-Chronicles-Orbital-Defiance-Exert1-385140021

PDF now attached for your convenience.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2013, 09:15:26 AM »
I recently read it.  It was good.  There were a few grammatical errors, but nothing too major.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”