Author Topic: V  (Read 12516 times)

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
V
« on: November 01, 2009, 08:08:44 AM »
The first eight minutes of the new 'V' series which premieres Tuesday can be found online here.

Entertainment Weekly said it was the best pilot they've seen in years, and it's getting very positive reviews from Variety and other sources as well, so that's a good sign. Hopefully it will build enough of an audience to counteract ABC's unfortunate split programming of the first season on account of the Olympics.

Offline evilsmileyface12

• View Profile
Re: V
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 10:38:55 AM »
eh not a hell of a lot to go on seems opening wise ok, just hope it doesn't suck as much as the original... Independence day anyone?
ESF-12

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 12:05:43 PM »
eh not a hell of a lot to go on seems opening wise ok, just hope it doesn't suck as much as the original... Independence day anyone?

The original movies were awesome, it was the series that sucked.

I like the design departure from the Original Visitor motherships.
Human Nature. Without a common enemy , men will look for foes in the one place they can guarantee finding one: The Past. -Eoforth, Sigmar's right hand man,

A mind without a purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor, Inquisitor of the Imperium of Mankind.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 01:47:06 PM »
Yeah, the original mini-series was made of win and is still a classic in my opinion.  They're showing the mini-series right now on the sci-fi channel if anyone is interested.

I really hope the new series doesn't completely suck
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Hobbes

• Veteran Member
  • Cinnamon! No!
    • View Profile
    • Federation Starship Datalink
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 07:25:11 PM »
My first thought.  The short hair doesn't work for Inarra.
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Federation Starship Datalink

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 08:07:09 AM »

'V' (the original miniseries and show) was first by over a decade. They even made a joke about people comparing it to 'Independence Day' in the clip.

Offline Cleetus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 03:54:03 PM »
They should have simply called it "Aliens Invade"

Thus sparing them the trouble of having live up to the impossibly terrifying original
Lightswitch?

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 08:04:00 PM »
That was...okay?  Nothing mindblowing, but pilots are usually not an accurate barometer of series quality.

Morena Baccarin seems perfect as Anna, though.  Like in her portrayal of Adria on SG:1, she can do the sort of eerie ethereal thing well.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 08:08:49 PM »
Well, it didn't completely suck.  But then it's only the first episode so whose to say what it will end up being.

It needed more Aliens, particularly more Anna.  I get that there was a lot to get through in this first hour, but the impact of the Visitors arriving and just hanging around was incredibly weak compared to the awesome introduction and world wide captivation shown in the original.
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Torlek

• Veteran Member
  • Burn it all down and start over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 08:29:05 PM »
They did seem to be in an awful rush to establish the resistance. I think it would've been better to stretch it out over a few episodes to show the V's really permeating Earth society before making it obvious they're the bad guys.  That said, poor Alan Tudyk.  If he's not careful he's going to get in a habit of getting run through with metal bars.
The battle of modern programming is one waged between the engineers trying to craft a bigger,better idiot-proof program and the universe trying to breed bigger, better idiots.  So far, the universe is winning.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 08:42:02 PM »
Yeah, setting up the resistance this early did feel like they were trying to force it on us.  And the thing with Tudyk being killed with a metal bar, it just seemed a little much....I mean, I thought it was cool when Fillion dressed up as Mal on Castle and I usually like little nods like that, but it just didn't do anything for me, other then remove me from the story for a minute.

Offline Hobbes

• Veteran Member
  • Cinnamon! No!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 09:29:49 PM »
Just finished the first episode.  I've never seen the original so I don't know what to expect really.  Also cause I avoid spoilers.

I didn't even know Alan Tudyk was in it.  I figured that's why we've only seen Alpha once on Dollhouse cause the actor was working on this show.  But alas, poor Wash just can't catch a break.  I was really hoping he'd be a regular on a show playing another likable character again.  Although both Wash and Inarra being aliens is funny.  Now if he shows up on Castle next to Mal ... as long as it aint yet another bad guy.

Also, I'd have to agree I don't think they should have gotten to this resistance right away and establishing the good and bad guys right away.  Of course I hate shows that drag the story on too long.  I would have gone in a few episodes.  That way things like Tudyk's character being an alien would have been a surprise or impact.
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 11:02:42 PM »
It will sink or it will swim, there's no middle ground. That said, I do like what I see, which (considering the last update from the 80s series that was done) might not be a good sign for its future.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 03:33:29 PM »
The resistance was established pretty fast, but it's probably extremely futile and pointless to try to disguise the V's true nature...even for those of us who didn't watch the original, it's extremely common knowledge and didn't seem very mysterious with the way they promoted the show.

It might have been tiresome if they had dragged out "are they bad guys...or are they?" for like half a season, when it would have been fairly obvious the answer is "yes". 

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 04:05:28 PM »
The mystery and drama would have been (or will be) in when and how the remaining characters discover that the Visitors are really lizard people, and therefor bad guys.  I agree that it's pointless to try and hide it from the audience, but we're not the only 'group' involved in this story.  In a three way go, between the audience, the characters, and the truth, there will be times when we know more then the characters and times when the characters know more then us.

That was one of the great things about the original.  Once we learned that they were lizards, there was always the drama of someone knew finding out, particularly someone who for whatever reason, didn't believe they were lizard people.  The reveal of them being reptiles inside a human suit, was almost always a payoff in creepieness and dramatic tension even though we already knew the truth.

And in that scenario, I think they rushed things.  You already have two of the main characters pledging to fight them to the death.  I suppose they're setting up the angle of conflict for those characters as they try to bring new people into the resistance, particularly people close to them, like what's her names son who is already converted.

Much of it still fills rushed though.  They've glossed over things, that I would have spent entire episodes covering.

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2009, 04:17:36 PM »
The mystery and drama would have been (or will be) in when and how the remaining characters discover that the Visitors are really lizard people, and therefor bad guys.  I agree that it's pointless to try and hide it from the audience, but we're not the only 'group' involved in this story.  In a three way go, between the audience, the characters, and the truth, there will be times when we know more then the characters and times when the characters know more then us.

That was one of the great things about the original.  Once we learned that they were lizards, there was always the drama of someone knew finding out, particularly someone who for whatever reason, didn't believe they were lizard people.  The reveal of them being reptiles inside a human suit, was almost always a payoff in creepieness and dramatic tension even though we already knew the truth.

And in that scenario, I think they rushed things.  You already have two of the main characters pledging to fight them to the death.  I suppose they're setting up the angle of conflict for those characters as they try to bring new people into the resistance, particularly people close to them, like what's her names son who is already converted.

Much of it still fills rushed though.  They've glossed over things, that I would have spent entire episodes covering.

I agree wth you, Jimi on all points.   In fact, As much i like V, I'd wish they'd get off of this Aliens are stronger and faster than Humans thing we've seen in so many other Sci Fi shows.  Its so old and outdated.
Human Nature. Without a common enemy , men will look for foes in the one place they can guarantee finding one: The Past. -Eoforth, Sigmar's right hand man,

A mind without a purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor, Inquisitor of the Imperium of Mankind.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2009, 04:20:36 PM »
How else would you show they're aliens without going to all of the expense of unmasking them?
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Legion

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Firemod
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2009, 05:08:04 PM »
It wasn't bad, but I expected something else. For instance I would have loved if they would have expanded on the "faith vs. aliens thing" a little more. It got screentime, but it wasn't really noteworthy, but than again the whole episode felt crammed with plotlines, as if they wanted to start as many as they can.

Overall I enjoyed it tough, and I am looking forward to see the next episodes.
J.J. Abrams about the new film:

"Its not a reboot"

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2009, 05:22:32 PM »
How else would you show they're aliens without going to all of the expense of unmasking them?

In the original, they showed their real eyes and tongues several times, without fully unmasking them.  Plus the Visitors tended to make some animals nervous and behave erratically as though they could sense that a predator was nearby.  Either way, they could have been unmasked, or at least hinted at their alien nature by having Anna showing some sort of natural behavior, like eating rodents or having lizard eyes, when in the privacy of another Visitor.  It tells the audience what's going on, but leaves the characters in the dark as to their true nature.

And on that point we have to see Anna down a guinea pig....I mean have to.  If they don't then the entire series is just an automatic fail. :P

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2009, 05:32:46 PM »

True, but that's a difficult line to tread...it can be done quite well (ex. Mad Men) but often it can get a bit irritating relatively quickly.  When it's sort of the entire point of the show that they're going to be 'bad' aliens...I dunno.  I don't disagree at all that it happened WAY too quickly, but I don't see much point in having it drawn out for too long either. 

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2009, 12:22:50 AM »
Dammit I missed it....last time I cover Anna's hours at work.  Oh well Im sure it will be on demand soon.  Just a funny note apparently Sean Hannity thinks V is a knock on the Obama administration.

http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/200911040063

“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2009, 07:33:02 AM »
You can see V on Hulu, Razor.

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 08:05:40 PM »
Hm, that was much better than the previous ep.  I liked how they started with a bit of action.  I'm hoping they continue to do the 'anyone could be a visitor' thing well - it can be pretty compelling if done right (a la earlyish BSG).

Lisa seemed genuinely disgusted with the violence, so perhaps there's more subdivisions within the V's (invaders/traitors) than first expected.

Also: the old priest is a V.  I'm calling it.

Offline Hobbes

• Veteran Member
  • Cinnamon! No!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 08:49:59 PM »
I noticed that too.

My theory... not a spoiler, but she'll switch sides.  The kid will join his mommy and she'll go with him.

Offline Torlek

• Veteran Member
  • Burn it all down and start over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 09:41:51 PM »
I think she'll get knocked up by Tyler then switch sides. We gotta have a lizard/human baby somewhere.

I'm not terribly impressed by the pacing so far and I think they're hurting themselves by focusing only on the main characters without showing much of events and reactions in the wider world.  I don't know if I appreciate the serious BSG vibes from the last scene.  They're laying on the V-Cylon parallels awful thick.  And speaking of Cylons, I wonder if Rekha Sharma is going to be a normal V or special somehow.
The battle of modern programming is one waged between the engineers trying to craft a bigger,better idiot-proof program and the universe trying to breed bigger, better idiots.  So far, the universe is winning.