• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
Re: V
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2009, 11:42:29 AM »
I'm not terribly impressed by the pacing so far and I think they're hurting themselves by focusing only on the main characters without showing much of events and reactions in the wider world.

I completely agree.  Aside from the occasion establishing shot of a mothership, there is very little in the way of actual story cementing the show as an 'aliens have landed' type drama.  With what they've shown, it could just as easily be a 24 knock off, or some similarly bad single cop mom drama; with the FBI Mom's kid being involved in some sort of gang, or cult, or something. 

I missed the beginning of this episode, so maybe they showed something to this effect, but aside from the Visitors busting up the little resistance movement meeting, have they actually done anything that would cause the characters to distrust them...aside from FBI agent mom's partner being an alien in disguise of course.  The keep mentioning how things have changed, and how nothing is the same anymore, but we're not seeing any of those changes; at all, aside from the mere appearance of aliens, and how it's effecting the world or even how it really effects the lives of the main characters.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Hobbes

• Veteran Member
  • Cinnamon! No!
    • View Profile
    • Federation Starship Datalink
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2009, 10:48:03 PM »
Second prediction ... the friend will be killed by the aliens.  Leading to the main kid to joining his mommy with the sexy Kryptonian.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 01:46:26 PM by Hobbes »
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Federation Starship Datalink

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2009, 11:01:01 PM »
Well, this week's episode was interesting enough.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2009, 06:47:29 AM »
They used my name as the guy who was the leader of the Fifth Column.  John May Lives!...though I don't spell my name with an 'H'.
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2009, 11:00:59 PM »
This week was certainly... Interesting... In a 'bombshell' sort of way.

Offline Legion

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Firemod
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2009, 06:39:09 PM »
Interesting, you can make some sort of Engine Room with a series budget and CGI, without resorting to a brewery. Who knew?!
J.J. Abrams about the new film:

"Its not a reboot"

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2009, 07:09:06 PM »
Lol.

It was definitely unconventional, I'll give them that.

Offline Kestra

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2009, 11:31:57 PM »
I'm still watching this, but I feel my interest declining already.  I'm a bit sick of the lead female and like others have said, I wish they'd focus a bit more on the worldwide effects happening here.  There are a lot of opportunities to explore deeper issues but I feel like they're skirting around them so we can see pretty people and feel lots of suspense.
... dancing in the night in the middle of June ...

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2009, 12:05:05 AM »
It's possible that they're saving the 'World at Large' stuff for later on. I mean, first thing they have to do is see if anybody would be interested, then they can go into the other issues like how this is working out in some other countries. That said, we won't find out anything til March.

Offline BorgMan

• Global Moderator
  • Artistic Assimilator
    • View Profile
    • Visionm.nl
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2009, 05:54:44 AM »
^ Just YouTubed the engineroom, that was pretty slick! Though the whole *we make you feel special so that you will be our foo... errrr work for us* thing is annoying.
*Doorbell Sound*

"Hi, I am Elder 14 of 37 and this is my traveling companion Sister 29 of 128. We represent the Borg..."
"Oh Roddenbery, you guys again? Look, it's 8 in the morning and I don't have time for you OK? I told you last week..."
"But... Assimilation... Holopamflet!"
"Yeah right, you can leave it here but I'll throw it on the rest of the bunch I got from your other 'brothers' and 'sisters'. Now scram before I call the 8472 Squad!"

Offline Dariuun

• Prolific Member
  • With enough bullets, you can solve any problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2009, 05:17:40 AM »
I'm still watching this, but I feel my interest declining already.  I'm a bit sick of the lead female and like others have said, I wish they'd focus a bit more on the worldwide effects happening here.  There are a lot of opportunities to explore deeper issues but I feel like they're skirting around them so we can see pretty people and feel lots of suspense.

Isn't that what TV is, pretty people and suspense. :)

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2009, 09:31:34 PM »

And didn't they even go out of their way in the first episode to mention how insanely good looking all the Visitors were?  That was a bit silly I thought.  And as for the suspense, it's not even real suspense about what the Visitors have planned or evil deeds they've already done and might do again.  The main characters just keep talking about how things are bad or dangerous without any real evidence to show that's really how things are.

And it's not so much the 'World at Large' stuff that's missing. The original mini-series rarely ventured outside the US to show what was going on, except when the Visitors first arrived and then finally left.  The main force of the story could remain in the US, and still touch on many of the deeper issues that they've sort of hinted at, but largely skirted around.  I mean they even went so far as to mention universal healthcare in one episode and then practically abandoned any real development of it, except that there were apparently long lines for those that wanted to be seen by Visitor physicians.

That's a huge issue right now and they really could have done something with it, but they just side stepped any of the real difficulties that such a story would inherently create, to say nothing of the various analogies they could have created between the show and what's actually going on with the healthcare issue right now.

It just seems like they're taking the easy road.  They could so much more that they're really just wasting the opportunity they've been given.

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2010, 06:24:05 PM »
Episode 5.

Welcome to the war.

So far: Ex Military man named Hobbes being recruited by the resistance.*

Anna has mentioned Lisa has a destiny and it involves Tyler.

We now know that R6 is a tracking compound to track humans. Beyond that its other abilities are unclear at this point.  

Its clear Tyler is being brainwashed  by Anna and Lisa

Ryan shows concern grows over Val's "abnormal" pregnancy and the strange affect it is having on her, like eating mice.

*: Our hobbes, perhaps. ;)

« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 06:25:52 PM by White Wolf »
Human Nature. Without a common enemy , men will look for foes in the one place they can guarantee finding one: The Past. -Eoforth, Sigmar's right hand man,

A mind without a purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor, Inquisitor of the Imperium of Mankind.

Offline Glory to the Dominion

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2010, 05:17:13 AM »
Im not sure how I feel about this show at the moment. The 'aliens have been here for years infiltrating our planet' plot device has been done to death and I was a bit sad that they went down that well-trod route almost straight away.

And aside from the eating mice, where is the modulated visitor voice? That was one of the things that made the original V stand out- they were like us but a bit different. This new V just has pretty people- a fact they even comment on in the show! The nazi allegory in the original was a bit over the top but I was really hoping to see some soldiers-at least on the motherships (tho I guess this would contradict the 'we are at peace' line), not even plot related necessarily, just a little nod to the original.

And now I think about it, can the 'we will excahnge our tech for your resources' thing even work? I mean, does earth have enough resources to support the population of presumably 2 planets worth of people? Seems unlikely.

I dunno, I'll keep watching for now, I think Im certainly enjoying this more than Caprica at the moment.

Offline Hobbes

• Veteran Member
  • Cinnamon! No!
    • View Profile
    • Federation Starship Datalink
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2010, 05:37:39 AM »
There's a reason why I don't post here as much.  I'm a bit busy.

So far I'm interested in the show.  Except for the overuse of the green screen on the V ships.  I find it a bit distracting.  Green screens should be used to enhance the look, not be the look.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a resistance to get back to.

Oh, and John May lives.
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Federation Starship Datalink

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2010, 06:23:01 AM »
I tried watching some more of this when it returned after the Olympics but it was just as bad, if not worse.  I would have thought that taking a breaking and switching out some of the people in charge might have been cause for an improvement, but it didn't seemed to have helped.

I also feel slightly offended they used my name for in such a terrible show.  Granted, I don't spell Jon with an 'H' but still.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2010, 12:27:01 PM »
^^^ I thought about you when they mentioned John May too. That whole plotline with the black bald lizard guy whose name escapes me searching for John May even when he was alone onscreen (and thus had no reason to carry on the deception for his own benefit) only to later reveal that John May has been dead for years was really stupid.

The show is pretty bad. The Fifth Column is the dumbest bunch of people ever. Twice a couple of episode ago the guy they captured asked them "what have the V's done wrong?" and those idiots couldn't even come up with an answer. Instead of hacking cryptic messages on the bottom of the ships they should be upping their PR game and simply exposing the V's as lizards. Problem solved right there.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2010, 01:02:03 PM »
From what I saw, the show never had any of the classic 'Aliens have arrived and it's changed things as we know it forever' sort of vibe that I think is required for a this type of story to work.  You just can't ignore things like that, but instead, they jumped right into 'start a resistance' mode in the first episode.  But even that isn't handled as well as it should be.  It's like they've watered down the sci-fi as much as they could so they can focus on action and half naked aliens; which isn't a bad thing, unless it's the only thing you've got going.

Normally, I would watch it for Morena Baccarin alone, but because it's so bad, not even her hotness can compel me to tune in.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2010, 01:32:31 PM »
Normally, I would watch it for Morena Baccarin alone, but because it's so bad, not even her hotness can compel me to tune in.

Skip the show and watch the movie 'Death in Love,' or just Google search - Morena Baccarin Nude Metacafe - and enjoy the very NSFW extra long scene o' nakedness.

Don't say I never did anything for you.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2010, 01:35:51 PM »
I've already seen it. ;D