Author Topic: what exactly are plasma coils?  (Read 3759 times)

Offline JoeOh

• View Profile
what exactly are plasma coils?
« on: November 05, 2009, 09:22:13 AM »
We've all heard of them in ST, but does anyone have any specs on what they are in the world of ST? Are they coils of plasma? are they special wires that produce plasma?

Joe-

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
Re: what exactly are plasma coils?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 10:13:26 AM »
Weren't they synonymous with warp coils?  The large, dense structures in the nacelles that they saturate with plasma in order to create a warp field?

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 09:37:01 PM »
Human Nature. Without a common enemy , men will look for foes in the one place they can guarantee finding one: The Past. -Eoforth, Sigmar's right hand man,

A mind without a purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor, Inquisitor of the Imperium of Mankind.

Offline JoeOh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 02:45:06 AM »
"A plasma coil is a component of a starship's engines."

I already checked MA for this, it doesn't help much for what they look like or what they do. Don't get me wrong, I like MA a LOT. It's a great resource for ST stuff. But for this subject, it kind of falls short.

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 07:58:34 AM »
It makes the most sense with all mentions of plasma coils if they are used to generate the containment field and/or guide the plasma through the conduits (plasma is so hot that it may not come into contact with the wall of the pipe).

Offline jgallaway81

• View Profile
    • The A&A Archives
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 12:14:33 PM »
Don't forget, Worf said, in generations "They were retired from service because of defective plasma coils".

Offline Aemielius

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 11:12:40 PM »
It makes the most sense with all mentions of plasma coils if they are used to generate the containment field and/or guide the plasma through the conduits (plasma is so hot that it may not come into contact with the wall of the pipe).

A much better guess than I would have made.    Magnetized coils around the EPS conduits to keep the plasma from rupturing the conduit.   Much like the coils on a particle accelerator.    this explanation would also allow for all the attributes described on MA.
James Aemielius
Wolverine Studios