Author Topic: Eve Online  (Read 7768 times)

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
Re: Eve Online
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2011, 06:29:55 PM »
It turns out I had been awarded a new ship class before that particular mission, but I hadn't been about to use it yet when my other ship was destroyed.  So once I got the proper training to out fit the ship, I spent a few credits getting her set up and went back and kicked their collective asses.  Took a little bit of warping in and out of the area to heal, but it was worth it.

https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2011, 12:38:14 AM »
Yea, get yourself a shield booster, basically it starts to use up your cap but it keeps your shields up longer... couple other things that you could use, ECM's is always good, helps break target locks and give you a break from being attacked.

You going with missiles or guns Jimi? If you can it might be good to go with a mix of both, guns have a faster rate of fire but do less damage... missiles are slower but pack a punch. Also suggest getting an afterburner when you get up to a bigger ship.

One last thing, if you can get yourself a salvager... after you blow up a ship target it and run the salvager, sometimes it picks up a decent item that you can sell for a fair chunk of change. Just unload it when you get back to base and sell it, sometimes you can get a couple hundred thousand ISK for one or two items that you salvage.
N.I.G.G.A. - Never Ignorant Gettin' Goals Acomplished
"If a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
CIDvision :: the breen war :: trekonline

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2011, 12:53:17 AM »
Right now, I'm running two of the rail guns you start out with, and two missiles launchers, an afterburner, an armor repair thingy, and a damage control thingy.  Does the salvager bring up different loot then just raiding their cargo hold, because I've just been doing that and then selling whatever I can't use.
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2011, 10:43:33 AM »
As I read about Eve, I was intrigued that the game economy and the real world economy were somewhat linked. Compared to WoW or other MMOs, being able to legitimately buy in game resources if you want is a big step for me, which also boosted Second Life's appeal to me. Maybe I'm just too Lawful Good for my playing habits, but I don't like buying in game currency when you're really not supposed to. The same reason I never pay for the handful of facebook games I play. I find the idea that you 'have' to buy gold, reward points, gear, whatever to get ahead in a game that you may already be paying a subscription fee for somewhat insulting. Whereas Eve seems to go by the idea that you 'can' but a capable player can make the same amount of resources.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2011, 06:32:29 PM »
Jimi, the salvager picks up certain components that you really cant fit to your ship but can be used to build rigs and stuff (that boost various assets), since your just starting off you arent going to be building rigs so you just sell them on the market and pocket the ISK you make off it. Like I said, a good salvage run can get you half a million on top of the loot you pick up.

Data I'm not sure what you mean by them being linked, if that was in reference to my comment about selling the PLEX ingame for ISK then its not like its something you have to do, you can buy everything you want but it just takes time. I have my eyes set on a couple things and I am trained for them but the time it takes to build up the money in game is just more than I want to invest into the game right now. If I didnt work 70 hours or so a week I could put hours upon hours into playing but unfortunately I dont have the time.
"If a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2011, 12:56:06 AM »
That's what I mean, is that you can buy the currency you want, without it being illicit or necessary.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2011, 09:00:37 PM »
There are actually places online that you can "buy" ISK for the game, they end up meeting up with you somewhere in game and giving it to you but this is frowned upon and they will actually ban your account (or so they say) if you are caught doing it. So the way I described is the only real way of BUYING ISK.

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2011, 01:53:27 PM »
Hey Jimi, you still playing? Everytime I'm online I try to start a convo and it says you are not available or something. Add me to your friends list next time you are online and I'll give you a hand on some of the harder missions... Could probably help you out with some in game finances if you want too.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2011, 02:19:15 PM »
I haven't played in a week.  My trial should be ending soon and I haven't decided yet if I'm going to continue.  I like the game, but I can definitely see it eating up a lot of time, on top of the games I already play.

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2011, 04:43:01 PM »
One thing that I find good about the game is that once you start training a skill it will keep training it even if you aren't online. I have only explored a fraction of the universe, max was about 11 jumps away from my normal base of operation, so there is a TON to do in game but you really dont have to play constantly to get ahead in it. Usually I play for a couple hours a night and time flies... you just have to kinda plan ahead and set some goals for what you want to do (mining, combat, etc) and devote skill times to that.

Offline LBraden

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2011, 05:11:26 AM »
Yeah, I have gone to far flung places in Empire space, down into the old CVA space, off into IT space and oh yes, ran out of energy for a few months.

But yeah, EVE is both a time sink and also a good part-enjoyable game, I know a few people who play 5-6 hours on a Saturday only, and they enjoy it as much as the 5 days a week at 18 hour a day miner our Corp has (he is out of a job atm, and not much on the offers)

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2011, 05:18:12 PM »
Maybe they were already there and I never noticed, but now that I've started playing, it seems as if the majority of online ads I see are for this game.

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2011, 04:54:41 PM »
Thats what made me try it in the first place, I kept seeing the adds and it looked kinda cool.... and a 14 day trial for free, enough to get a taste of the game.

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2011, 05:48:34 PM »
So anyone else looking to give it a go? Jimi I saw that you joined up, send me a message next time your on at the same time as me... I can help you get into the corporation that I joined a little while ago, I was kinda iffy about joining one at first but its been pretty good so far. There are lots of people that have been long time players so they can really help out when it comes running harder missions and giving overall advice on pretty much anything... so if your interested let me know and I can get you an invite.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2011, 02:49:05 PM »
Some news about the possible future of Eve, including the inclusion of a ground FPS.

http://kotaku.com/#!5786223/if-this-is-the-future-of-space-games-sign-me-up

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2011, 09:46:25 AM »
So gonna bring this thread back to life and see what happens, anyone else had a chance to play or interested in a trial? I've been playing pretty steadily since I joined back up, even got myself a second account to help out when I do mining ops and stuff like that.... if anyone is interested send me a message and I'll fire an invite your way...

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2014, 10:52:53 AM »
Just thought I would bring this thread back to life once again it's been a while and maybe some new people around here have had a chance to give Eve a go...  Anyways I took a hiatus from the game and just came back to it a couple months ago and man has the climate of the game changed.  Now it seems that the main pain in the ass is an alliance that goes by the name CODE, they try and enforce their beliefs on everyone else in the game.  So if you are a miner they say you need a permit (10million isk) or you run the risk of them blowing you up.

I'll add more into this post later but I just thought that I'd get the ball rolling, hopefully someone else will have something to add.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2014, 11:34:31 AM »
I stopped and started again a few times after we were running together there for a bit.  I haven't kept up with it though, particularly after that massively huge battle that took place earlier in the year.

EVE is...a unique game.  When I do play, it's not something I can just jump into for an hour or two.  Whenever I play, I feel like the time commitment to make any headway is so great, that it usually ends up driving me away.

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2014, 03:30:48 PM »
I find that the game is rather addictive, always something new to check out or get into. You might want to give it another go, especially now that they have had a couple more releases since when you last played. I tried a couple things I never did before, been putting some real effort into planetary interaction and so far its been interesting. Good way to make in game money without actually having to be online while you are doing it.

That being said I also joined a new corp, kinda strong armed my way into a co-director role, set up a POS inside a wormhole and have been living the dream lol. Had a bad week there a month or two ago, lost three ships all worth about 750mil so that was a hard pill to swallow but we live and learn. Started up a THIRD character to make things more interesting and complicated.

If anyone is interested in giving it a go then let me know and I can hook you up with a 21 day trial.

Or you can just click this link RIGHT HERE and get the same deal.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 03:34:21 PM by Makaveli »

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2014, 12:56:15 AM »
There are a lot of features that would otherwise draw me to EVE in spite of what I understand is the general attitude of the game. However, between income and hardware, it's not feasible for me to join.

New Haven Chronicles