Author Topic: Mass Effect: Discussion - Spoilers  (Read 21690 times)

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
Mass Effect: Discussion - Spoilers
« on: January 21, 2010, 12:48:36 AM »
Possible Spoilers.

Mass Effect 2: Launch Trailer

Epic.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 02:34:59 PM by Jimi James »
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Greg

• Lord of Lava Lamp
  • Eminent Member
  • Old Fart
    • View Profile
Re: General Purpose Video Game Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 08:21:27 AM »
Holy shit

Offline caisson2delta

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 04:48:43 PM »
I second that and have to say, that just looks incredibly badass. I don't usually buy games until they've been out for a while, but I way get this immediately.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 05:16:20 PM »
Something about those Collectors (?) really creeps me out and I don't know why.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 01:15:07 PM »
Apparently, a bunch of DLC and exclusive pre-order exclusives (also known as material that should be included with the game you buy no matter where or when you get) for Mass Effect: 2 accidently leaked onto Xobox Live this morning, all for free, and was snatched up by quite a few people, before Microsoft realized the error and took it down.  I missed it though.
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 02:29:03 PM »
So I just finished ME:2.  I have somewhat mixed feelings towards the overall experience.  I'll write up something more later.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 02:44:09 PM »
I'm still playing it. Just finsihed the Horizon mission. I'm enjoying it so far. Much more streamlined then the first one.

Jimi, what ending did you get?
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 04:58:16 PM »
There were parts that felt streamlined, but other parts of it felt as though it was cutting too fast from one scene to another.  I felt that certain scenes (and even many of the missions) had an all too abrupt ending.

The story felt much less directional this time.  In the first game, there was always someone telling you go here and do this, and now that you've done that, go there and take care of that.  There are still choices like that here, in fact the game is built upon them, but this time around you're left on your own to decide where to go and what to do. 

I felt that Bioware sort of copped out in terms of topping what they showed in regards to the sex scenes.  Going back to what I mentioned earlier, both of the scenes I saw were over in less then a minute and showed no skin whatsoever.  It was all very PG.

Secondly, for all the talk about people dieing and this being a suicide mission, seeing that only one person died was very disappointing.  Perhaps I did well at keeping my team alive, but if you're going to make big claims that people aren't going to survive, then the story really should live up to it.

And in choosing Tali, a big deal is made of finally seeing what's under her mask, but when she finally takes it off, you don't even get to see her face.  That's just lame and I expected far better.

There seemed to be much more humor this time around.  I laughed out loud several times, including the first time Jack speaks, in which she just flat out tells Sheppard he sounds like a pussy.  You're not expecting it and it's awesome.  All in all, I think Jack is probably my favorite of the new characters, though I wish there had been more with her.  Once you do her loyalty mission, all interaction with her is pretty much over.

Which brings me to another point, in there were too many new characters.  I think the story could have been better served with half of the number of characters you end up with.  Though I was pleased that in the final mission, you get to take everyone over to the Collector base.  And rather then just having you all run around shooting things, you have to delegate various teams to accomplish certain goals.  Through much of the game, I was irritated that I could only take 2 team members with me, so when everyone heads over to the Collector base (aside from Joker who remains on the ship), I was pleasantly surprised.

Speaking of Joker: there is a Joker mission in which you assume control of his character.  That was a nice change of pace, though it was a bit convoluted.  Everyone leaves the ship for some reason which wasn't exactly clear and the Collectors suddenly attack.  It was a good idea, but poorly executed.

For all the misgivings I had, the game is still amazing.  Make no mistake about it, it's worth every bit of praise it's receiving, however it's a different game then the first ME.
It's much more of a shooter with RPG elements this time around, I thought.  The voice acting (from some notable genre favorites), story, and dialog are all top notch as you would expect.  The obvious problems from the first game have definitely been addressed, though not always for the best. 

As annoying as the Maco was at times, I sort of missed it this time around.
It was nice to see that they addressed the issue of various locations looking too similar.  I rarely if ever had the feeling that I'd already fought my way through the same underground base a dozen times already, which was one of the few problems I had with the first game.

The ship: Spoilers
I'm not sure what to think about the new Normandy.  On the one hand, the ship is very nice.  It's bigger and has a lot of cool new rooms and features.  On the other hand, it sort of has that 'Bird of Prey' feeling, in that it's just the old Normandy scaled up.  I know that's not actually what it is and they did a fairly good job of working the new ship into the story, but it just feels a bit off.  I guess I just miss the small cramped feel of the original Normandy.  It was such a cool and unique design, different then what we usually see, that seeing a new ship that's basically just a bigger version isn't that special.

I liked the addition of the ability to interrupt a conversation and take action, rather then just standing by while a conversation takes place.  On the other hand, it seemed at times as though even if I choose to take the renegade path, doing so didn't really have any adverse consequences.  Everything seemed to balance out in the end and the whole 'choices matter' didn't seem as important to the overall conclusion of the story.  That being said, I most often tried to go with what I thought would be best for the mission and the team, rather then trying to be a total bastard.  Going the route of complete renegade might very well cause a total failure of the mission. It might be worth another play through just to see if that is the case.

Mining.  Could this be any more tedious and boring.  I like that they tried to include a more interactive exploration element and tied that into the customization of your character though resource gathering and purchasing/researching upgrades, but if I have to scan one more planet for minerals then I'm going to lose it.  There are a number of upgrades that I purchased that require so much minerals, that I simply gave up on them and went ahead and completed the story without bothering finish them; though I think I finished everything else.

And one last thing, maybe it's just the settings on my 360 or my tv, but I couldn't make out half the text that appeared on the screen.  The dialog trees were legible but everything else, particularly computer screens were too small to make out.  And I dislike the new 'hacking' mini-games.

At the end of the day, the question comes down to whether or not I want to play the game again.  I played the first game twice and had started on a third run through before my 360 broke last year.  As of right now, I'm not sure I'll play it again, though I' tempted to do a run through as a total renegade.

Me Ending Spoilers.
I chose to destroy the Collector base and turn my back on the Elusive Man.  I also hooked up with Tali (and Jack before I rescued Tali).  One person died, Legion a sentient Geth.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 06:02:53 PM »
There are atleast 3 major endings, depending on certain choices. For example, if you choose to upgrade the ship completely or not. In one, everyone survives. The second, one or more people die. In the third, no one survives.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 05:09:19 PM »
I'm thinking now that it definitely warrants another play through.

Something I forgot to mention before; I liked that they addressed the issue from the first game of different weapons not only having an individual look, but also performing differently.  From merely an art standpoint, it was somewhat irritating in the first game that when you got a new weapon, it looked pretty much like the weapon you had just traded in. 

This time however, when you find/buy a new weapon, it's obvious you're carrying a different weapon.  I also liked that the weapon you were carrying would actually show up in your hands during the cutscenes, not only for you but the rest of your team as well.  That was a nice touch that's often overlooked.

Offline Greg

• Lord of Lava Lamp
  • Eminent Member
  • Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 12:32:47 PM »
Spoilers:

Just finished my first run through, everyone survived (I did everything I could before going through the relay), hooked up with Tali (agreed on being annoyed at them copping out and not showing her face, we better get to see it in the 3rd) and destroyed the base. I was mostly paragon with a slight side of renegade.

Also: HOLY SHIT

Offline Manticore

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 12:45:11 AM »
Spoilers:

Just finished my first run through, everyone survived (I did everything I could before going through the relay), hooked up with Tali (agreed on being annoyed at them copping out and not showing her face, we better get to see it in the 3rd) and destroyed the base. I was mostly paragon with a slight side of renegade.

Also: HOLY SHIT
Okay, now I'm wishing that I'd gone with Kelly.  Everyone seems to be boning Tali. :-p

I'm not convinced that the 'man-reaper' is the full 'ship' reaper.  I'm starting to lean towards the idea that the reaper 'ships' that we see are shells for the actual reapers inside, or something.  Otherwise, a ship shaped like a human just seems...silly.

Also, take Legion to the Citadel and talk to the customs officer.  Just...do it.

"The geth to do not infiltrate." ;D

Anyone else starting to feel that this reads like a declassified CIA paper?  ???

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 11:42:21 PM »
That last mission in ME2 was intense!
I lost Zaeed, Mordin, and Tali. And I got a good look at Miranda's tits.

Offline Manticore

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 03:10:49 AM »
My first playthrough, I only lost Thane (I'm glad that I didn't lose Tali!  She was my girlfriend this time around...like everyone else. >.>)  I did the mission again, a little smarter, and managed to avoid losing anyone.

I'm just annoyed that Miranda got a much more explicit sex scene than any of the other love interests, that I've seen so far.  But meh, Tali's adorable-ness more than makes up for it.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 07:23:07 AM »
My first playthrough, I only lost Thane (I'm glad that I didn't lose Tali!  She was my girlfriend this time around...like everyone else. >.>)  I did the mission again, a little smarter, and managed to avoid losing anyone.

I'm just annoyed that Miranda got a much more explicit sex scene than any of the other love interests, that I've seen so far.  But meh, Tali's adorable-ness more than makes up for it.

I hated Zaeed, Mordin, and Tali anyway. So it's all good.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
Mass Effect 2: Discussion - Spoilers
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 07:32:55 AM »
I've started my second run through, this time with female Sheppard as a Renegade on Insanity, so I'll see if I can't hook up with Miranda this time.  I wonder why Miranda's scenes are more explicit and if anyone else get's a more explicit sex scene, aside from the disappointing show with Jack and Tali. 

Supposedly there's a Geth rifle to be found when you rescue Tali, that's only available on insanity.

Also, this really does deserve it's own thread.  So feel free to speak without the use of really small text.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 07:36:50 AM by Jimi James »

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Mass Effect 2: Discussion - Spoilers
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 08:19:02 AM »
I don't think I'm going to do a second playthrough. I'm afraid that if I do a second one, that playthrough would be used to import to ME3, and my first playthrough would be over-written. I liked the way my first playthrough ended. Dispite the fact I hated the three characters that died, I feel it made it feel more realistic.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 09:41:56 AM »
I would imagine that ME: 3 will allow you to choose which character/career you want to import, as long as you have more then one saved from the first game.  I have three I think, one paragon, one renegade, and I forget how the third one ended.  When I started ME: 2, I choose to start with my male paragon character and now on my new play through, I've imported my female renegade character. 
So as long as you have separate careers/character, you should be able to do multiple run troughs which you could then later import to ME:3.

Have you heard anything about an ending where Sheppard dies, but the mission is a success?  There was some talk a while back that it might be possible for Sheppard to be killed and not be available in the next game, though I'm not sure who you'd play as; unless that just ends the story for your particular run through.  Still, that would be an interesting twist if you could take on another character after Sheppard dies.

ETA:  Ok, did some looking around and apparently, if Sheppard dies in the last mission, you can still play ME: 3 as a Sheppard, just not your Sheppard.

Here's a guide to the romanacable characters:  Spoilers obviously.
http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Romance
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 10:07:22 AM by Jimi James »

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 10:39:56 AM »
The Slaughter ending, everyone but Joker and EDI die

Part 1
Part 2

Part 2, but the base is spared.

If you fail the mission where you control Joker by running into a Collector, EVERYONE dies. I almost failed that one, I turned a corner to fast and was close to running into a Scion.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 10:48:28 AM by Xero »

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 05:25:41 PM »
Just beat the game.

HOLY FUCK HOLY FUCK HOLY FUCK THAT WAS AWESOME.

Review forthcoming.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2010, 09:23:07 PM »
I found out you didn't even need to keep your old save files from ME1 to import your ME1 character. My data was erased awhile back, and I was still able to import my guy. So I'm playing my ME1 Shepard for my second run through.

The game is so much better if you import your ME1 character. The story and side missions adapt to your choices in the first game. In a couple of cases new side missions were available because if the Paragon choices I made in the first game.

In the first game I sacrificed the Alliance's 5Th Fleet to protect the council, and choose Anderson to represent Earth. It paid off. Aliens are treating me as a hero. I was reinstated as a Spectre. Wrex is still alive, and Ashley forgave me for the two year absence. Even the rachni want to help me fight the Reapers. The FUCKING RACHNI!

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2010, 10:43:47 PM »
Oh man, I cannot fucking wait to import my ME1 character into ME2. I've been playing the PC version on my flatmates computer, as my Xbox is back at home (and roughly 3,000 miles away), so I've been making due with the default backstory. It's easy to tell, though, where a ME1 playthrough would enrich the experience. The default background really only covers the basics:Wrex and Kaidan are dead, and you sacrificed the council, but didn't do away with it completely. The citadel is run by a human-lead council, but everyone hates humans and Udina looks like he's shitting the bed. You didn't really romance anyone, or if you did, they never mention it.

I'm so amped to boot up ME2 with my level 60 Vanguard Alyn Shepard, with 100% quest completion. Totally going to stay faithful to Liara. I'm on my second playthrough, and none of the romance options really interest me. Jack is fucking boring, Miranda is okay, and Tali is nice, but kinda shoehorned in fan-service. I'm romancing her on this playthrough, it's cute, but nothing that would make me cheat.

What classes did you guys play? I started out as a basic Soldier, but then I upped the difficulty to Hardcore and busted out as a Vanguard. Holy shit, does a fully leveled up Vanguard own. Level 4 shockwave? Yes please.
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."

Offline Greg

• Lord of Lava Lamp
  • Eminent Member
  • Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2010, 11:40:40 PM »
I was a Soldier on my first play through, my 2nd run will be as an Infiltrator using one of my other ME1 saved games. I'm taking a bit of break before I do the 2nd run though, I spent about 4 solid days playing ME2 for my first run and need a break.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2010, 12:48:02 AM »
Oh man, I cannot fucking wait to import my ME1 character into ME2. I've been playing the PC version on my flatmates computer, as my Xbox is back at home (and roughly 3,000 miles away), so I've been making due with the default backstory. It's easy to tell, though, where a ME1 playthrough would enrich the experience. The default background really only covers the basics:Wrex and Kaidan are dead, and you sacrificed the council, but didn't do away with it completely. The citadel is run by a human-lead council, but everyone hates humans and Udina looks like he's shitting the bed. You didn't really romance anyone, or if you did, they never mention it.

I'm so amped to boot up ME2 with my level 60 Vanguard Alyn Shepard, with 100% quest completion. Totally going to stay faithful to Liara. I'm on my second playthrough, and none of the romance options really interest me. Jack is fucking boring, Miranda is okay, and Tali is nice, but kinda shoehorned in fan-service. I'm romancing her on this playthrough, it's cute, but nothing that would make me cheat.

What classes did you guys play? I started out as a basic Soldier, but then I upped the difficulty to Hardcore and busted out as a Vanguard. Holy shit, does a fully leveled up Vanguard own. Level 4 shockwave? Yes please.

Alatair Shepard ( I just finished beating Assassin's Creed, and I mis-spelled the name  ;)), my ME1 character is a Soldier, and a Spacer. Altair Shepard (the character I created when I didn't know I could import a deleted character. LOL) is a Soldier, and a Spacer.

Playing ME1 really does enhance ME2 to an amazing degree. How many games can say that playing the first game, makes the second game, not only that much better, but also much more of a unique experience to each player/playthrough.

Daft, when you import your ME1 character, you get bonus resources. If you're level 30, you get 54000 of each resource. If you're level 60 you get even more. All the credits you made by the end of ME1 carry over, plus you get bonus credits if your character is "rich". If you're level 30, you start at level 2 in ME2, if you're level 60, you start off as level 5 in ME2.
So right off the bat, you can buy most of the upgrades, and items in stores, before you're really into the game. Plus with the resource bonus, you get a nice head start on research.

I had over 300,000 credits at the end if ME1, plus I got another 50,000 Credits as a "rich" bonus.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 12:54:16 AM by Xero »

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2010, 07:25:35 AM »
You get something like that in ME2. I started a new game (a proper one this time, the first was just "holy shit I have the game go go go!" playthrough), and you got about 50,000 of everything. That's gonna change a whole lot when I import from ME1, and bring in a cool 1,000,000 credits.
~~~~~~~~