Author Topic: Mass Effect: Discussion - Spoilers  (Read 21497 times)

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
Re: Mass Effect: Discussion - Spoilers
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2012, 10:36:56 AM »
Here's the Cinematic version of Take Earth Back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBktyyaV9LY&feature=youtu.be
Oddly, it contains scenes from the 2010 Spike VGA trailer, though somewhat expanded as the rest of the trailer has been as well.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 26, 2012, 07:29:54 PM »
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Juvat

• Prolific Member
  • USAF Weapons Instructor
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 27, 2012, 08:20:03 AM »
I had never played Mass Effect, but seeing this has prompted me to check out all three of them.  Now, I just need my new computer to get here so I can play them all.
"In God We Trust"

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 27, 2012, 08:27:32 AM »
It's highly unlikely you'll be disappointed.  Mass Effect is not only a great series of games, the universe they've created for the games is incredibly well developed.  It stands up on its own as good sci-fi and fills the void in the lack of Space Operas we're currently experiencing on tv.  Even if you don't like the gameplay, I think it's worth experiencing just for the overall story itself.

Offline Juvat

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 27, 2012, 12:23:09 PM »
I'm looking forward to it.  :)
"In God We Trust"

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 02, 2012, 11:31:38 AM »
The official launch trailer...maybe Monday we'll get an extended cut. :P  
It's good, but I thought it was a bit spoilerish in nature, though given the nature of the game, I suppose it's only suggesting possible outcomes.  For example, the inclusion of Wrex doesn't fit with the way my game has unfolded.  I let Ash kill him in the first game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG2mdZ23eP8
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 11:34:02 AM by Jimi James »

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 05, 2012, 11:59:54 AM »
There's a new trailer...sort of.  This is the previous Take Back the Earth trailer, now shocasing FemShep.
http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/03/05/mass-effect-3-femshep-trailer/

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 07, 2012, 11:08:50 AM »
So, who's enjoying Mass Effect 3?
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 07, 2012, 11:20:57 AM »
Me!

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2012, 09:38:23 PM »
I'm not sure what to say about it that won't spoil things, other then it wastes no time dumping you right into the middle of a galactic mess.

Offline Torlek

• Veteran Member
  • Burn it all down and start over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 08, 2012, 03:06:56 AM »
Yeah, I would've preferred the opening scene if it had been in the middle of the narrative. Give us some time to get some stuff organized and make futile preparations before everything goes to hell. So far I'm enjoying the game. The shooting mechanics feel a lot tighter though I'm not a fan of how closely the camera hugs your shoulder in combat. The new resource gathering mini-game is a lot less annoying than the planetary scanning and I like how it can provide quest items that help you with the galactic readiness meta-game, but frankly I kinda find myself missing the open roaming planet areas from ME1. The character interactions are top notch and I'm really enjoying meeting up with all the previous characters in their various positions. I'm curious if they're going to make all the previous romance options available because I'm through the Palaven mission and I've already come across one that won't end up on the ship. Another cool thing they've done is that the crew will get off the ship when you're at the Citadel and be sitting in various locations for extra interaction. I'm sure all the RPG nerds will howl about how they can't tweak every last little thing but at least this one has more weapon and armor customization than 2 did. Let's just hope they've done the narrative justice.
The battle of modern programming is one waged between the engineers trying to craft a bigger,better idiot-proof program and the universe trying to breed bigger, better idiots.  So far, the universe is winning.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 08, 2012, 05:06:48 PM »
Mass Effect does something that I'm not sure I really like, and it's far more prominent in ME3.  Every time I go to the Citadel, I pick up new missions just by walking past people and overhearing their conversations.  They're usually some sort of fetch quests and not all that difficult, but it gets a bit difficult keeping track of the missions when I go to the Citadel to complete a mission and pick up five new ones before I can get off the station again.
Just a minor annoyance really.

As Torlek mentioned though, it's a nice touch to have the crew scattered around the station enjoying some down time each time I stop there.

I've already cheated on Liara. :(

And from what I've seen so far, they've definitely done the narrative justice.  There are plenty of highs and some definite lows.

Offline Juvat

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2012, 06:31:39 PM »
Argh!  I still need to play through the first two, but I did buy ME3. 
"In God We Trust"

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2012, 10:20:11 PM »
Wow...
I just wiped out the Quarians and Tali killed herself.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 09, 2012, 02:31:18 AM »
I was able to...

Save the Quarians, and free the Geth. Though, Legion sacrificed himself to give the Geth sentience. But it was worth it, in the end I got both their militaries as War Assets.

I'm gearing up right now for the final battle with Cuberus.

After I finish the game, I've going to do a full run through with my other character. She did all the DLC for ME1 and ME2, and I hear you get more options, and War Assets because of it.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2012, 07:54:48 AM »
Wow...

Nooooooooo....
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2012, 04:01:36 PM »
Wow...

Nooooooooo....

Yeah, it was pretty bad...I mean I actually felt bad that she killed herself.  I thought about trying to reload a previous mission to redo it so I could save her, but decided not to...the cost of war I suppose.  So far I've lost Tali, Miranda, Thane, Kaiden, Legion, and Mordin...Ashley and Wrex were already dead from my previous game, though at this point I wouldn't be surprised if no one is left alive at the end of this.  I did manage to save Jack and Grunt though so it's not a total loss.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2012, 04:25:23 PM »
So far I've lost
Mordin (sacrificed himself to spread the genophage cure), Thane (but he dies no matter), and Legion (he sacrificed himself to give the Geth sentience, which lead to the Geth and Quarians together in peace, and start rebuilding the homeworld. So now I have both the Quarian and Geth fleets as War Assets).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 04:27:01 PM by Xero »

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 09, 2012, 08:51:17 PM »
Xero, let me know when you get to the end.  I'm curious to find out which option you pick.

I choose Synthesis, which ended the war, but destroyed the Citadel and all the Mass Relays...the Normandy crashed on some unspecified tropical planet and Sheppard died merging with the Catalyst.

When it ends, it takes you back to the Normandy before the final mission, so you'll be able to play DLC.  I'm going to replay the final mission and check out the other endings.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 09:15:26 PM by Jimi James »

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2012, 12:22:28 AM »
There's 17 different endings, 16 depended on whether or not you destroyed the Collector Base at the end of ME2. The 17th is part of New Game+

I'm trying to get the perfect ending for the "Destroyed the Collector Base".

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 10, 2012, 01:30:11 PM »
I would have like to have seen a bit more of the aftermath once you make the final decision.  Though maybe they're saving that for DLC.  I looked up the various endings on IGN.  Apparently my readiness rating wasn't high enough.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 10, 2012, 02:28:24 PM »
There's a couple of ways to get yout readiness up. Multiplayer, and a game for iPad. They're going to be adding more int he future.

Right now I'm at 67% galaxy wide. That's just from just under two hours of online play. I want to get it to 100% before I start the final couple of missions.

When you hit Level 20 online you unlock the N7 Spec Ops Team as a War Assest. If you hit promote when promted you reset your class's rank back to 1, and when you get level bak up to 20 you can promote again, and improve the Team's effectivness. Doing so will increase your miltary strength, and readiness even more. And you can keep doing to as many times as you like.

From the sounds of it, it carries over to your other characters as well, which is nice.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 10, 2012, 02:32:44 PM »
That last mission on Earth is brutal, even on a lower difficulty.  It might play differently if your readiness is higher, but be ready for a prolonged fight.  There are some good character moments in there though.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 11, 2012, 11:22:16 PM »
Wow, it only took less then 2 days of online play to get the Galaxy at War to 100%.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 12, 2012, 05:50:44 AM »
Just beat the game. I wiped out all Synthetics, and Sheppard survived.

But poor Joker, and Ashley... They're stuck on a unknown planet with James. No one deserves that fate.