Author Topic: Mass Effect: Discussion - Spoilers  (Read 21680 times)

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
Re: Mass Effect 2: Discussion - Spoilers
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2010, 07:48:59 AM »
You get something like that in ME2.

That's what I said  :P
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2010, 09:33:27 AM »
I meant you get it even if you don't import a character. If you beat the game with an original character, then start with another original character, you get the same bonus. I think, the Steam copy of the game has some bugs.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2010, 11:19:26 AM »
I've imported my renegade character from the first game and I'm playing through on insanity.  It's a challenge to say the least.  I'm still not off Omega yet.

I've played as soldier for both of my characters.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2010, 01:14:39 PM »
I meant you get it even if you don't import a character. If you beat the game with an original character, then start with another original character, you get the same bonus. I think, the Steam copy of the game has some bugs.

Oh, ok. I miss understood.  ;D
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2010, 06:09:25 PM »
SET PHASERS TO REVIEW

This easily surpasses the first game. Mass Effect 1 compensated for repetitive missions and lackluster shooter mechanics with one of the best stories in video-games, compelling characters and a cinematic vibe. Mass Effect 2 keeps all the great elements, ditches the "Go here, scan this, shoot that" side-missions, and transplants in Gears of War's tight and tactical shooter mechanics. The result is a seamless combination of RPG and third-person action. The dialogue is tight, the choices are ambiguous, and the combat is a pleasure to play. I will say that I miss picking up loot, but I gladly sacrifice it for the games streamlined inventory system. Ammo types are now powers, selected at the same time as your biotic  (magic....in SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!) or tech powers, and party members stick to one (or two, depending on loyalty) outfits/armors.

In some ways, this game reminds me a lot of KotOR II. The loyalty system and their associated sidequest seem like a non-retarded implementation of that games Influence mechanic, and the branching endings depending on who you talked to when, and for what reason definitely harken back to that game. I wouldn't be surprised if Bioware took a look at Obsidian's flawed but beautiful (and sadly franchise killing) second act, to see what to do right, as well as what to avoid. The story certainly shares themes with KotOR II, both being the "dark second act" of a planned trilogy, with characters making serious moral and political decisions that can affect the entire galaxy. It's bittersweet to play this game, knowing that Bioware is gearing up for an ass-kicking third act, and wonder what would have happened in KotOR III.

That aside, there's not much I can say that isn't the usual "Holy shit, buy this game, for it is awesome!", so here are some nitpicks (Spoilers, obviously). These are minor quibbles that in no way affected my enjoyment of the game. Mostly:
- No side-boob. I want me some quarian T&A
- The final boss was goofy, but not game-breaking. I didn't see why it had to be the Terminator, and not just a Reaper skeleton, but w/e, two shots from the Cain and it died like everything else.
- The Illusive Man. I felt that they never really defined him, even as an ambiguous character. You get messages from him saying "It's your call, do what you want", but when you speak with him mano a mano suddenly he's all "My way or the highway". It was satisfying telling him to go fuck himself, but I felt like he was wasted.
- The mission reports. Fine for the side-missions, but I miss the council reports from Mass Effect 1. They gave an immediate sense of impact, that your decisions carried weight. Now, it's like "Oh, cool, some credits and a new rifle. And Jack killed everyone? Whatever." They could have had you reporting back to the Illusive man after each mission, which would have helped to develop him.
- Jacob. Why was he there? I'm sure he was more interesting if you were a girl, but he was just so bland. Same goes for Kaidan. Why are the "lead male" characters always so uninteresting?
- The hubs. Nice to have everything centralized, but they lose some scale. The citadel, center of galactic commerce and politics, felt like a mall. Tuchanka looked like shit. When Grunt dissed the place I was like "You said it."

Nitpicks aside, the game is fucking awesome. It keeps ratcheting up the stakes and the tension, all leading to an explosive climax and one hell of and ending cinematic (Reaper fleet powering up FTW. I got goosebumps.). If you're any sort of fan of RPG's, shooters, or hell, Sci-Fi in general, you owe it to yourself to buy this game.
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2010, 07:21:08 PM »
There's an awesome model of the new Normandy being done over on Sci-Fi Meshes.

Check it out here: http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?75165-SSV-Normandy-SR2/page3
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2010, 12:45:26 PM »
I'd kill to see some orthos of the SR-2.
~~~~~~~~

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2010, 02:41:06 PM »
So would I. I'm very confused about the orientation of the Crew Deck compared to the rest of the ship. It seems to be the wrong way around. Unless the elevator spins has it drops.

When you goto the crew quarters and look out the window you see the mass effect core. But that would put the core right under the CIC. But every other deck puts the core at the back of the ship. Even the elevator load screen has the core at the back of this ship.
My head hurts...

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2010, 05:38:44 PM »
I think the elevator opens on both sides...
~~~~~~~~

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2010, 09:06:25 PM »
The back wall of the elevator has the control panel, and none of the distinct features of a door that are used in ME2. It's very odd.  :D

It's not like it's a game killing bug, or even a real issue. I just thought it was kind of weird.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 09:53:48 PM by Xero »

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2010, 05:29:26 PM »
Weren't there some similar issues with the SR-1?  Something like what they showed of the inside not being able to completely fit within the actual ship.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2010, 11:06:43 PM »
Of course the SR-1 and SR-2 are so incredibly awesome, that I'm willing to look past the odd reality bending properties of the interiors of the ships.  ;D

Offline caisson2delta

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2010, 09:20:18 PM »
I just picked up the game two nights ago, but have yet had the chance to play it (I'm in SWAT school right now and don't have the time). I'm really anxious and looking forward to playing. I'm off this weekend and hopefully can get pretty far into the game. I'll keep everyone posted.

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2010, 04:03:08 AM »
Xero: The control panel is holographic, and is likely projected from the frames at the corners of the elevator.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2010, 04:24:47 AM »
Xero: The control panel is holographic, and is likely projected from the frames at the corners of the elevator.

Maybe. Except it doesn't look like any of the doors normaly associated with human tech.

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2010, 10:45:59 AM »

That's what I thought, but the actual wall itself is the wrong design. The door splits into four (?) segments, it isn't garage door style like the SR-1. As for internal arrangements, the SR-2 probably does fit inside the model, except for the airlock, which is a mystifying inclusion. Why would they have it, when you never, ever use it? With the windows in the cockpit allowing you to clearly see where the outside edge of the ship is, it's obvious that the airlock extends a good couple meters out from the hull.
~~~~~~~~

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2010, 11:18:13 AM »
I just checked it again. The elevator door opens up towards the front of the ship on all other decks. It opens to the rear of the ship on the Crew Deck. Floor, to ceiling, that back wall is just that, a wall. Odd...

It seem the SR-2 is suffering from the Pillar of Autumn Syndrome. Where the  1.17km Autumn had a 3km long, straight service tunnel, the SR-2 has a airlock that extends well past the hull, and a magic elevator.

Of course none of this really takes away from the fantastic experience BioWare has given us here.

Offline Darkside

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2010, 10:10:08 AM »
disappointingly short...2 days to beat 100%/lvl30 :/

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2010, 09:07:56 AM »
Part of the problem getting it all sorted is that we never see the elevator doors actually open from the inside, nor the reference points of ME1.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2010, 12:58:31 PM »
Saw this over on SFM.  This is pretty cool.  The addition of various other sci-fi ships, sort of detract from it a bit I think, but it's still worth taking a look.

The Normandy on Earth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAG9wYPvE18

Offline caisson2delta

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2010, 02:18:18 PM »
I'd been wanting to post in here for a while, but was worried about necroing the thread. I got the game a while back and finished it. All I can say was wow, very good game. I like some of the improvements made from the original and it had some interesting new characters. I look forward to ME 3. I would've liked the missions for the main story line to be a bit more involved, but still good. I look forward to being able to play it again but take some different paths.

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2010, 09:15:51 AM »
So Mass Effect 2 is coming to the PS3.

Anyone else thing this is a really, really retarded idea?
~~~~~~~~

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2010, 12:49:15 PM »
Why? A game built around choices, and they release the sequal on another console? That makes no sense.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 12:53:19 PM by Xero »

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
It's unbelievably stupid. Half the fun of ME2 is seeing how your choices in the first game carry over, and not just the big "HEY DID YOU KILL THE COUNCIL OR LET THEM LIVE?!", but fun stuff like the corporate cop from Noveria, Conrad Verner, etc.

The PS3 will be Wrex less. Enough said.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 01:07:32 PM by The Daft Punk »
~~~~~~~~

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2010, 01:02:48 PM »
 Most people on 360 who have played it, have already played it a few times, months ago anyway, and are patiently awaiting ME3.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 01:09:40 PM by Xero »