Author Topic: Mass Effect: Discussion - Spoilers  (Read 14684 times)

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Minion!
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
Re: Mass Effect 2: Discussion - Spoilers
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2010, 09:15:54 AM »
Go buy my book: Method of Life

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2010, 01:26:08 PM »
Not a bad job on the Miranda costume, though some of the comments are on the right track. I think the hex is shopped on too.
And whilst I applaud the Jack costume, I'm waiting for the more commited version. And the subsequent indecent exposure charge. :P
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 01:33:29 PM by Data007 »
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Minion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2010, 11:01:09 AM »
Mass Effect 2: Lair of the Shadow Broker which focuses on Liara is out next week on the 7th.
http://kotaku.com/5628115/mass-effect-2s-lair-of-the-shadow-broker-looks-romantic

She's probably going to be pissed.  My Male-Shep shagged Jack and Tali.  Though maybe if I get enough paragon points, I can talk them into a foursome. 8)
I haven't finished my play through with my Female-Shep character though, which ended up with Liara in ME:1 as well, even though I was trying for Ashley.  Oh well, seeing as how Fem-Shep can't shag Jack or Miranda, I'll probably not cheat on Liara a second time.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 11:05:04 AM by Jimi James »

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2010, 01:09:13 PM »
I don't think you could romance Ashley as a woman. I think they coded for it, but kept it out of the finished game.

Either way,  I'm really excited for this new DLC. Apparently the dialogue is heavily weighted towards people who've completed the game already, and it's supposed to be the first of new DLC to bridge the gap between ME1 and ME2.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Manticore

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2010, 04:30:08 PM »
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaant.

Though now I feel bad for breaking up with her in favor of Tali (but not too bad, because Tali is adorable). :(
But it's these setbacks that lead to our greatest victories.
And that would be?
Chocobo Sex!

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2010, 07:44:53 PM »
I didn't break up with her, at least not in my "canon" game, 'cause no one else caught my interest. Jack was bitchy, Miranda was boring, and Tali was just, eh, I was never like "ZOMG I MUST FUCK TALI NOW!"
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."

Offline Torlek

• Veteran Member
  • Burn it all down and start over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2010, 01:28:33 AM »
I've ignored the DLC so far because it seemed like mere mission packs. Side missions that have no bearing on the main narrative. A nice addition if they'd been included in the main game but not something I'm going to shell out cash for. These new ones they're promising interest me though. If they actually take into account your actions and the characters react accordingly (what if Shepard completely blew off Liara's side mission in ME2? what if he/she cheated on Liara?) this could be a good method of expanding the game. Nobody's really been able to pull off the "DLC as an expansion to the story" model yet. Bioware's probably come closest with some of their add-ons for Dragon Age (Stone Prisoner and Return to Ostagar specifically) but even those have been game enhancements instead of game extensions. What I'd like to see is these DLC become something like an episodic expansion pack, little bits of game that extend the main story and come out at decent intervals leading up to the awesomeness that shall be ME3. Valve tried the episodic thing with Half Life and failed miserably (the games are still great but it's been two years and not one word of Episode 3), maybe Bioware will be able to pull it off.
The battle of modern programming is one waged between the engineers trying to craft a bigger,better idiot-proof program and the universe trying to breed bigger, better idiots.  So far, the universe is winning.

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2010, 05:49:32 PM »
I imagine one important barrier to that style of storytelling is the size constraint of DLC. I don't know what the maximum size is, but to get more than a handful of levels in strikes me as potentially beyond the limit. Not to mention there will always be those gamers who rush through episodic gaming and don't like waiting for the 'next ep'.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2010, 07:22:05 AM »
The DLC so far has been pretty extensive, with the loyalty missions for Zaed and Kasumi being just a long and complex as those for the other party members. "The Lair of the Shadow Broker", while it hasn't had an official "it will last THIS long" statement, sounds pretty extensive, with something like five new research projects, new dialogue, etc.
~~~~~~~~

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2010, 08:53:02 AM »
Having just played the Shadow Broker DLC, I thought I'd give my opinion. Without giving too much away, the series of events leading up to meeting Liara again is slightly contrived, but no more than any other DLC. The car chase isn't very well managed in my opinion, especially for having thrown you into the driver's seat right then and there. IMO, it could have been much better had you been given the controls for a scene transition earlier on, rather than just a loading screen. And the titular 'Lair' is very well presented, a grandiose location which goes toward the attitude you've gotten of the Broker. The fight on the hull is fairly standard fare, though less predictable when you'll get into combat than the earlier game. And nice use of environmental hazards. Near the end of that, there's some nice funny dialogue, though I'm not the only one to notice that no one but Sheppard, and in this case, Liara talks much in the DLC. I brought Garrus and Tali along specifically to hear what they might say to one another. Inside, it's again, standard fare, though better use of non-set piece fights. And my jaw dropped when we finally might the Broker. End of the day, I recommend it, though not for the dialogue from anyone but the main two. And take the time to look around at the end. It's worth it.

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Greg

• Lord of Lava Lamp
  • Eminent Member
  • Captain Serious
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2010, 09:20:17 AM »
Agreed on the dialogue, the back and forth between Shepard and Liara, especially on the hull of the ship was excellent, but I brought Garrus and Tali along as well. It's a pity Bioware couldn't have brought back the voice actors for those two as well, given the history all four of them share.

The Shadow Broker itself was excellent, it totally lived up to the mysteriousness of the character that had been built up. It can be hard for games/tv/movies to have characters like that live up to the expectations that are built up in the journey to reach them, but I definitely think Bioware delivered.

I didn't really have a problem with the car chase, I only died once or twice and one of those was going the wrong way at the very end of the chase by accident.

I wish we'd seen a little more interaction between Liara and Feron at the end, it was a little abrupt he quickly he left you and Liara to talk alone and just leaves their reconnection off screen.

Seeing another Spectre was cool, I hope we see more in ME3.

I picked up the Firepower pack along with this DLC as I happened to have exactly 160 points left after buying LotSB. All three weapons were pretty good, especially the shotgun, which has a much greater range than any of the other ones and a decent punch to it.
The rifle was better than expected, a semi-automatic battle rifle, it's kinda similar to the burst fire Avenger rifle already ingame, but I found it easier to not waste ammo with the new rifle as if you happen to hit fire one or two times extra by accident, you only was 2 rounds, not 6.
The pistol is similar to the existing heavy pistol, but it felt more powerful and has a few more spare rounds, so it's an easy choice to take over the existing pistol. The only downside it the laser sight can be a pain at longer ranges, but I guess that's to offset the extra punch.

If you have the points for it, I'd definitely recommend picking it up, particularly if you play a shotgun heavy class like the Vanguard.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 09:28:08 AM by Greg »
Magic, motherfucker!

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Minion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2010, 11:16:12 AM »

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Minion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2010, 10:04:55 AM »
This ME2 character poster, makes an awesome background. http://kotaku.com/5668516/if-only-there-was-a-mass-effect-2-movie

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Minion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2010, 09:47:01 AM »

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Minion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2010, 06:27:34 PM »
Possible Mass Effect 3 plot popped up on the EA store today.
Mass Effect 3-rumors

Additionally, there supposed to be some ME related news in the form of a teaser shown during the Spike TV Video Game Awards, tomorrow. 
I'm really hopping the rumors of a multiplayer ME3 turn out to be false.  I wouldn't mind and would even enjoy a ME multiplayer shooter at some point in the future, but finish the single player trilogy first.  ME works so well because of it's story driven single player campaign and changing that, even with something like co-op would be a mistake.

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2010, 09:24:31 AM »
I'm really hoping it's nothing to do with multiplayer. I love shooting some noob in the face as much as the next gamer, but somethings shouldn't have multiplayer. Mass Effect is one of them.
~~~~~~~~

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2010, 10:32:32 AM »
You are the galaxy's greatest hero. No one else among the stars can match your valiant deeds...Except for that guy. Now go shoot him.

New Haven Chronicles

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2010, 07:53:33 PM »
MASS EFFECT 3

I'm Commander Shepard, and I just peed myself a little bit.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 06:51:55 AM by The Daft Punk »
~~~~~~~~

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Minion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2010, 09:16:27 AM »
Awesome.  It has such a different tone and look from the trailers for the previous games, at least right up to the point when it shows Shepard and the ME theme music kicks in.

Offline Torlek

• Veteran Member
  • Burn it all down and start over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2010, 01:07:40 PM »
Indeed that. It could have been Resistance 3 until the Reapers showed up. Also, Holiday 2011? So we're going to get Dragon Age 2, Star Wars: The Old Republic and Mass Effect 3 next year? Good god Bioware, you at least need to give the other developers a chance.
The battle of modern programming is one waged between the engineers trying to craft a bigger,better idiot-proof program and the universe trying to breed bigger, better idiots.  So far, the universe is winning.

Offline Manticore

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2010, 01:20:04 PM »
This was the Year of Blizzard; I see no problem with letting next year be the Year of Bioware. ;)

Alliterative if nothing else.
But it's these setbacks that lead to our greatest victories.
And that would be?
Chocobo Sex!

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2010, 03:55:40 PM »
I'll be in my bunk.

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Minion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2011, 11:22:10 PM »
Clint Mansell will score Mass Effect 3.

I really like Mansell and I'm sure he'll do a great job, but I'm a bit disappointed that Jack Wall won't be back.  He's created such a unique sound for the first two games that bringing in someone new for the last game seems like a bad idea, even if Mansell's soundtrack is amazing.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 09:35:27 PM by Jimi James »

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2011, 12:50:13 AM »
Here's hoping he doesn't run off in some completely different direction and follows the excellent trend already set.

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Minion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2011, 10:59:43 AM »
The final ME2 DLC arrives on March 29 and it's thought this mission will bridge the gap between ME2 and ME 3.  There's also been some speculation that this mission will see the return of Ashely or Kaiden, depending on which one you saved in the first game.
http://kotaku.com/#!5783307/the-final-mass-effect-2-mission-arrives-on-march-29