Author Topic: Submission for Consideration (from [CMP] for a Runnabout - 2006)  (Read 8838 times)

Offline Guyver

• Veteran Member
  • Over worked and out of time!
    • View Profile
The Danube class runabout had been a work horse for the federation, but the design was growing long in the tooth, a need had arrived for a more capable craft, able to fill multiple roles, diplomatic, search and rescue, scouting and longer range shuttle missions to name a few. The Danube was a good ship, but often fell short in its abilities when assigned to missions with little support. Starfleet was looking for a small ship, able to fit in shuttle bays of its larger vessels, yet able to perform solo for extended periods or travel vast distances not in the Danube's ability without modification.

Enter the Strider class, a joint venture of Terran and Vulcan civilian engineers at Lancer Industries, originally designed to provide shuttle services over vast distances, but recognized by Starfleet as a possible replacement for the Danube. When asked to submit a rendition to the Utopia Planetia Shipyards, Lancer Ind. jumped at the chance, and immediately began an overhaul of the design to fit Starfleet specs.

The result was the Strider class runabout;

L-25.5m
W-21.7m (cruise mode) and 18.5m (landing mode)
H-6m (cruise mode) and 4.2m (landing mode)

Warp Core - Single iso-linear induction core (This is an experimental variant, however, that is designed to be able to be shut down extremely quickly, for landing purposes, so the wing nacelles can separate with very little danger.

Max warp - 6, 6.8 in emergencies for up to 2 hours max.
Cruise warp - 5

Standard crew - 3
Max Capacity - 25

Mission duration:
Standard - up to 45 days
Extended - up to 6 months

Weaponry - The ship has 2 standard type VIII pulse phasers. The phasers are routed through the warp nacelles to increase their power, (like on the defiant.), therefore are unable to fire when in landing mode.

Shields - Metaphasic shields

Armor - Light 5mm ablative

The Strider is designed to land on flat surfaces, but a portion of the landing skids, in the front and the rear, can lower up to one meter for clearance purposes. The wings move straight out and down for half a meter, then the wing hydraulics lift the wing 1.2 meters, then retract the wing to the sides of the upper hull with approximately 1/3 meter clearance between the wing and the hull, in order to clear the skids for touchdown, and allow clearance for landing in shuttle bays.

Mission Pods

In order to give the ship the versatility it needed to compete, Lancer Industries designed 4 pods. These pods will replace the central modular storage compartment on the standard configuration. These pods are as listed:

1 Micro Astro-Physics pod. This pod is designed for long range star mapping and scouting purposes.

2. Extended Range Pod. 2/3 of this pod is equipped with transporter loop storage facilities that can hold enough raw materials to sustain a crew of 10 for 6 months without re-supply. 1/3 of the pod is extra anti-matter.

3. Sensor Pod. This pod houses powerfull short/medium and long range sensors that cover a full 360 degreee field around the ship.

\m/  (o.0\m/

Offline Guyver

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Submission for Consideration (from [CMP] for a Runnabout - 2006)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 09:50:46 AM »
4. Tactical Pod. The Strider has powerful pulse phasers on board, but it is not an assault craft by any means, however... this pod can and will turn it into one. The pod contains extra targeting sensors that seam flawlessly with the ships systems, and 2 triple-launch burst fire micro photon torpedo launchers. The torpedo sensors built into the pod can track and fire on multiple targets. A maximum volley is 6 torpedoes.

Max payload is 36 torpedoes, enough for 6 full volleys.

\m/  (o.0\m/

Offline Jedigreedo

• Veteran Member
  • Red Shirt Says Aaggghh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 02:42:37 PM »
Wow, I loved that design during the competition, and it's still pretty awesome now.  You did some really nice work there. :D
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we woke up!"

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 05:16:17 PM »
I like this shuttle, great work.
“The Elachi can send their entire fleet.  We will not fall.” – Ambassador Worf – Star Trek Online – “Sphere of Influence”

Offline Guyver

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 07:23:26 AM »
thanks alot guys... ;D
\m/  (o.0\m/

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 07:39:48 AM »
I see the shuttle is not yet in the JoAT database. If you fill out the submission form, I will gladly include in the next update. (You need to attach just one image, as a template).

Offline Guyver

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 08:13:40 AM »
Hmmm... I submitted it yesterday.. however, I screwed up and sent the wrong images, then re submitted with the correct ones. Hope you can figure it out, if not let me know. I sent you a PM
\m/  (o.0\m/