Author Topic: NEW LOCATION  (Read 5226 times)

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
NEW LOCATION
« on: April 03, 2010, 10:21:50 PM »
Hey everyone as you can see the forums have been relocated, this was supposed to happen months and months ago but unfortunately there were a couple of issues getting the forum to transfer successfully. So got some good news and some bad news... good news is that the old forum skin will be up and running in no time, hopefully this fresh new forum will also solve the various other problems that we were having over on the old forum.

Bad news is that unfortunately all attachments were lost, I am going to try to restore them but I'm not 100% positive that its going to work. Avatars that were stored on the site were also lost, again I am going to try to get them back as well.

Please be patient while we work out some of the last little kinks of the move, if anyone experiences any issues then send post it here with a description of what you were trying to do and exactly what happened. I'll try to get things up and running better than they were before.

Cheers.

Update 1: Ok, successfully upgraded the forum from SMF version 1.1.7 to 1.1.11... couldn't do that before so thats one improvement.

Update 2: Bad news, no luck on the attachments and avatars... the forum encrypts file names when it uploads them and the new forum cant decipher them. My apologies.

Update 3: Testing file upload function - success. Attachment function working again.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 01:07:12 PM by Makaveli »
N.I.G.G.A. - Never Ignorant Gettin' Goals Acomplished
"If a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
CIDvision :: the breen war :: trekonline

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
Re: NEW LOCATION
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 02:54:29 AM »
Thanks for your efforts and for keeping everyone apprised, Mak.

About the attachments, I suggest that people start re-uploading their latest images in the newer threads. And sorry for the trouble!

Offline Clawhammer

• Prolific Member
  • WIP: Voyager refit 1%
    • View Profile
    • Clawhammer
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 04:21:06 AM »
Thanks indeed!

p.s. I kind of like the white, it's fresh! :P

Offline MageGrayWolf

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • JKcoder
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 08:01:04 AM »
Attachments and avatars aren't that huge of a deal. Hope this move will leave us with stabler forum.

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 11:18:18 AM »
It's great that the forum is up and running again, hopefully it will be more stable. That said, is there anyway we could be informed of future downtimes? Maybe an announcement on the bulletin board a few days before hand. It's a bit jarring when you navigate to the site and all there is is a banner reading "THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SUSPENDED" with no context for it.

Will the URL be changed to something simpler? Right now it's not exactly easy to remember.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 12:42:32 PM »
The downtime was unexpected and I got no notification from the host until after it was already down. My host was trying to bill an old credit card that was cancelled back in September, I have just been paying with paypal when the hosting came due... well back in February I decided to update the credit card information so I didn't have to worry about using paypal all the time. Anyways needless to say that worked for February's hosting but March's they once again tried to take if off the old credit card. Needless to say thats all worked out, we are now on a server thats paid for a whole year in advance rather than monthly so there should no longer be any of those "suspended" pages popping up.

As for the domain name, that will be changed over soon... we just have to wait for Stoo (I think its him that holds the name) to come online and get the DNS changed over... once thats done the domain name will work again.

As for the stability, this as a fresh install of the forum so there should be no more bugs that were experienced on the previous forum, the database has also been upgraded to the newest standard so it should run a little more smoothly as well.
"If a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 05:39:19 PM »
I like the new look.  8)
Human Nature. Without a common enemy , men will look for foes in the one place they can guarantee finding one: The Past. -Eoforth, Sigmar's right hand man,

A mind without a purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor, Inquisitor of the Imperium of Mankind.

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 05:42:04 PM »
Look is temporary, take a look at the thread in the Feedback forum and add any suggestions you might have.

Offline Shik

• There's a million things I haven't done
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 09:32:10 PM »
I have a minor issue, that being, my "always stay logged in" cookie seems not to be working right. Anyone else have this problem, or just me?

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 10:02:29 PM »
The temporary url is no longer the direct link to the forum, now that the DNS has had enough time to spread to most hosts out there I changed the forum settings to use the proper domain name. So if your using the URL it should be working just fine now, just make sure you have the right page bookmarked, if that doesn't work then make sure you clear your cookies and try it again.

Offline Mork of Ork

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 04:28:38 PM »
I have a minor issue, that being, my "always stay logged in" cookie seems not to be working right. Anyone else have this problem, or just me?

I'm having that problem too. Also what has happened to the 'view all post since last visit' option. It is great to use as you don't have to trawl through all the threads to see what has been posted in.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 05:13:17 PM »
There's a 'View Most Recent Posts' at the bottom of the page, in the Forum Stats section.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.