Author Topic: New Forum Theme  (Read 29453 times)

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
New Forum Theme
« on: April 04, 2010, 01:06:24 PM »
Ok well with the move and everything finally being completed and the loss of the old forum skin we are left looking for a new one to replace it. We are asking you, the general membership for ideas on a new skin. What would you like to see? A light theme, dark theme... minimalistic or flashy with lots of little graphics.

This is your chance to tell us what YOU would like the new face of SCN to look like. Please post any comments in here, we will try our best to accommodate the majority of suggestions into a new and exciting design.

Cheers.
N.I.G.G.A. - Never Ignorant Gettin' Goals Acomplished
"If a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
CIDvision :: the breen war :: trekonline

Online Shik

• There's a million things I haven't done
    • View Profile
Re: New Forum Theme
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 01:14:28 PM »
I tend to like basic & easy. I also tend to read the site in low light levels, so something jarring & off-putting with clashing colors wouldn't really be preferable to me.

I don't know if there's a capacity for user-selected customizable skins, but if there is, that might be one way to go, with themes from various SF franchises. Not just the 5 or 6 Trek incarnations, but BSG, Firefly, SG, Star Wars, & other, mayhaps.

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 01:26:34 PM »
Kinda looking for some specific ideas... makes it easier down the line when it comes time to actually build the skin. The forum does support user selectable skins but right now that feature is disabled, the problem with using different skins is that people don't see the same thing... hard to write a post and put images into it if its going to get mangled in a different skin... or dont want to change your font colour if its not going to display in another skin.

If you want to post a link to a website or anything along those lines that you like and think a theme could be made out of then post it and we will take a look. Its easier for me to be able to look at what you have in mind and go from there. We are actually looking at creating several forum skins (well same design but different set of colours that a user could change with a button click).
"If a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 02:01:26 PM »
Well, lets go for the obvious.  LCARS.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 02:03:07 PM »
LCARS is rarely done well or effectively, plus SCN is no longer strictly a Star Trek forum.  We've diversified.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 02:41:53 PM »
Yeah, LCARS is an old hat, and it always looks dumb. I think simple colors, a more muted palette would look good. I always thought that the old forum skin was a bit dark (not in the depressing sense, but more that the colors were pretty dark), something a few shades lighter would be good.

That said, I love having the old banner awkwardly stuck at the top of the page.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 02:48:12 PM »
I kind of like the layout right now, though it might look better with darker colors (closer to the original colors).  I'd rather it be kept simple too.

As for different themed schemes, perhaps instead we could have selectable banners themed after different sci-fi shows?
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Clawhammer

• Prolific Member
  • WIP: Voyager refit 1%
    • View Profile
    • Clawhammer
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 03:12:25 PM »
Hi Guys,

I'm currently photoshopping a screenshot of the current theme. I'm trying to blend the old colors with the ease of use of the current "stock" layout. I also think minimal is the best way to go, just to avoid ludicrous load times or "lag" during browsing. :)

Hope to have a result to show in 1 hour.

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 03:16:23 PM »
I'd ditch the rounded buttons and menus, go for something clean, colors like medium blue and peppered gray, with a less nerdy banner. Maybe like a stripped down version of the something awful forums.
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 04:13:29 PM »
@ Clawhammer, actually thats pretty much what I did with the original forum theme... I took the basic one and just skinned the colours and got rid of some of the graphics that were on the page. If you can think up something a little more flashy let me know. As for load times that really wont be effected a whole lot by the images used to build up simple forum themes.... we are talking maybe 30k worth of images (not including header) and most of them just get stored in browser cache and dont have to be reloaded every time you navigate to a different page.

About the banner, I just stuck it in there... was going to start redoing this forum skin to match up a little better with the old skin. I just think we should go with something a little new and fresher... BorgMan already suggested over MSN that we come up with a new forum logo. I dont really have a problem with that as long as I'm not the one that has to create the new graphic.

Hmm... that gives me an idea for a new little contest lol...

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 04:22:45 PM »
I think a new forum logo would be good. Like Jimi said, we're not just a Star Trek board anymore. Something newer, fresher would look loads better.
~~~~~~~~

Online Shik

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 04:39:01 PM »
Black & gold? What is this, a fuckin' Steelers hangout?

Offline Commodore Horton

• Veteran Member
  • No, really, I'm a moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 05:03:59 PM »
Black and obsidian blue, with silver trim....it would be friggen awesome.

LCARS...haha, would be fun for about a week. Then I'd wake up and realize what a nerd I am...
Nos Vadum Triumphus

Offline Clawhammer

• Prolific Member
  • WIP: Voyager refit 1%
    • View Profile
    • Clawhammer
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 05:24:20 PM »
Ok after some more tinkering: (That logo is just there to put something uhm there... :P)

http://www.ewe-squad.com/theme1.png (Starting point, traditional adapted)
http://www.ewe-squad.com/theme2.png (Blueshift)
http://www.ewe-squad.com/theme3.png (Greyshift)
http://www.ewe-squad.com/theme4.png  (Black/Blue/Silver) (For Commodore)

Other shifts on request. :)

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 05:35:52 PM »
Well, I am fond of the "traditional" theme 1 and perhaps theme 2, although I would generally prefer "black on white". The monochromatic themes are a bit boring.

I like the logo!

Online Shik

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 05:57:16 PM »
1 & 4 are great. 2 is too bland & uniform, 3 is the same but worse.

This baby shit green is awful. It's like the Gorn invaded.

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 05:59:55 PM »
I like this one more for the layout than the colour scheme... I was thinking about using this one but modifying the images to blue instead of the green...

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 06:01:57 PM »
This layout is great, but the color scheme has to go.
~~~~~~~~

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 06:03:44 PM »
Whats the problem, the green?

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 06:07:32 PM »
Yeah, the green, and the goofy "Mystic Jade" logo and the angled background. But the interface is cool, though I miss having a profile summary at the top.
~~~~~~~~

Offline Commodore Horton

• Veteran Member
  • No, really, I'm a moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 06:30:19 PM »
Woot, loving #4. Nice logo, but I think we oughta do a stylization of our last one, to some extent. But the colors are gorgeous!
Nos Vadum Triumphus

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 06:35:45 PM »
What colours? You getting the green or blue ones now? And until we can have a SCN logo created I took down the other one... it was kinda bugging me and didnt really go with the new blue scheme....

Huge thanks to Clawhammer for colour shifting the images for me. Link colours will be changed soon.

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 06:53:21 PM »
Is there anyway to change the background from the boilerplate black? Love the new colors.
~~~~~~~~

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2010, 06:55:14 PM »
Frankly, the background and colors are too dark for my linking.   I suggest these choices: 1) http://www.ewe-squad.com/theme1.png

2) http://www.ewe-squad.com/theme2.png
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 07:02:45 PM by White Wolf »
Human Nature. Without a common enemy , men will look for foes in the one place they can guarantee finding one: The Past. -Eoforth, Sigmar's right hand man,

A mind without a purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor, Inquisitor of the Imperium of Mankind.

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2010, 07:02:56 PM »
Is there anyway to change the background from the boilerplate black? Love the new colors.

What you mean exactly

Frankly, the background and colors are too dark for my linking.

Darker was the preference but I can probably lighten them up a little bit... besides, this is only a temporary skin... I'll be building one from the ground up once I get enough ideas from people...