Author Topic: Star Trek Online Ship and Star Charts  (Read 244583 times)

Offline Suricata

• View Profile
    • Suricata's Artwork Blog
Star Trek Online Ship and Star Charts
« on: April 05, 2010, 03:16:23 AM »
Hey all, Not sure how many of you are playing Star Trek Online here, but for those that are, I've created a Starchart for the game to help people navigate, as well asa ship chart to help people choose what ships they want to use.

http://suricatasblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/stostarchartv2.png

http://suricatasblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/stoshiptierchartv21.png

Hope these are of use to the people playing here :-)

If anyone wants to contact me ingame, my user name is, shockingly, @suricata

Changed the inline images into links, if your going to post images please post a smaller thumbnail... even on my connection it took almost 30 seconds to load the time images. File sizes are around 30 MB for the two of them. - Makaveli
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 10:00:17 AM by Makaveli »
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Shik

• There's a million things I haven't done
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek Online Ship and Star Charts
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 09:47:05 AM »
Man. They really uglied up the ships.

Offline Manticore

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 12:34:10 PM »
Holy crap, that's a blast from the past.  Hey Suri! ;D

(Let's just ignore the fact that I have your blog on RSS. >.>)

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 12:53:37 PM »
Some of those look alright, but others are just massive WTF's.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 04:17:15 PM »
The Envoy was the only one that made me do a double take.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Shik

• There's a million things I haven't done
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 04:44:49 PM »
It reminds me of Red Admiral's Cosmos-class.

Offline Suricata

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 03:44:12 PM »
To be honest, I'm fine with most of the ships, afterall, one mans junk is another mans tresure afterall. The fact that I see most of the ships flying around means that some people must like them. Oddly enough, I find myself flying a modified Luna class in the game, which is ironic since I was never really a big fan on the Luna class design.

Look at it this way, at least they removed the lego Galaxy class they had during beta, that was a massive 'WTF' ship:-

http://suricatasblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/star-trek-online-20091130020800446.jpg

Apologies to anyone that had to guage thier eyes out after looking at that ship! :-)
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 04:45:15 PM »
Wow! That thing is ugh-lee.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 07:16:09 PM »
Holy She-ite, is that thing fuck ugly.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline caisson2delta

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 08:03:35 PM »
I have to repeat what they posted, absolutely hideous.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 01:00:58 PM »
Yesh that thing is ugly!

As for the ones that actually made it into the game, I think meh pretty much sums it up. Not necessarily bad but just uninspired or derivative.  For example, a lot of the ships look just about the same (The Prometheus, Cerberus, and Phoenix-classes to name three).  The Oracle, Destiny, and Trident-classes remind me of Dominion ships (in the side view at least).  A few look okay though. 

Suricata: You wouldn't happen to have any screenshots of the Horizon-class would you? (Or know where I can find some?)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 01:06:54 PM by TNC »
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Greg

• Lord of Lava Lamp
  • Eminent Member
  • Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 05:07:22 PM »
Some of the ships are deliberately similar, you'll notice they're in the same catagory as each other. This is because you can customise the appearence of your ship by taking parts from each of the ship and swapping them in, letting you make a more unique ship.

Offline Suricata

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 01:35:20 PM »
Suricata: You wouldn't happen to have any screenshots of the Horizon-class would you? (Or know where I can find some?)

I know a few wiki's have some screenshots of it:-

http://stowiki.org/wiki/File:Federation_Research_Science_Vessel_(Horizon).png

The 'dome' field is supposed to be acontainment field so that experiments with gases and the like can be carried out on the ship and can be ejected directly into space if any situations arise.

Changed the inline images into links, if your going to post images please post a smaller thumbnail... even on my connection it took almost 30 seconds to load the time images. File sizes are around 30 MB for the two of them. - Makaveli

Odd, I did post them as links originally due to this exact reason, odd that they became inline images.

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 03:00:31 AM »
Great charts, ugly ships.

I wonder, who decides what is included in the game?

Offline Suricata

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 04:58:37 AM »
All ships have to go though CBS for approval for inclusion in the game, including even canon ships.

Basically, each Tier has 3 catagories of ship, each catagory has a canon design (except Tier 5 which hasa Cryptic design), then each catagory comes with a couple of variants of that ship. The saucer, hull, pylons, nacelles and mission pods are interchangable between these variants, hence why they all look so similar, otherwise it would be difficult to get them to stick together properly.

Most of the 'new' ships were actually designed by Ryan Dennings and John Eaves for Perpetual Entertainment when they had the licence, Cryptic inherited all of the assets from that company, including the ship designs.

Some of the ships arn't actually as bad sa they appear from the side views, and its worth noting that ones mans junk is another mans treasure, there are alot of people flying ships I would be seen dead in, but they think they look awesome, its all a matter of taste at the end of the day.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 08:50:32 AM »
I just picked this game up. Of course I can't play it until Tuesday.

Suricata, is there a ingame friends list? I thought you could show me around the game.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline caisson2delta

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 02:06:08 PM »
Anyone know if this can be played on Mac platforms?

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 03:22:03 PM »
So far as I can tell its only available for PC at the moment... Depending on what you got for a Mac you could always install Windows under bootcamp and then install under that.
N.I.G.G.A. - Never Ignorant Gettin' Goals Acomplished
"If a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
CIDvision :: the breen war :: trekonline

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 07:10:03 PM »
If anyone wants to play, send me a message at @Roche_Furman
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2010, 03:20:22 PM »
Oh, come on someone here has got to be playing this game.   :'(

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2010, 11:33:22 PM »
Ok, so I picked this up today...or rather I'm in the process of downloading it via Steam; which is taking ages, though it should be done by the time the sun comes up.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 05:38:06 PM »
I hope it's downloaded by now.  :P

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 08:13:50 PM »
Yeah, I think I accidently unequipped all my ships main components, so now I'm trying to figure out how to reinstall them.  

My characters name is Alexander Sumpertramp, by the way.

ETA; ok, figured out the ship components thing...sort of like changing the setup of your character.  One would think you'd do that at the shipyard, and not from a menu on the minimap.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 08:29:20 PM by Jimi James »
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 08:33:19 PM »
Just open your character menu , and drag and drop the parts back  :P

What's your account name? Mine's @Roche_Furman. You have to use someone's account name to add them apperently.

To check your mail, and such, click the down arrow icon on the right side of the mini map.

Nevermind, I found it, @Jimi_James  Surprise, surpise  :P
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 08:40:40 PM by Xero »

Offline Greg

• Lord of Lava Lamp
  • Eminent Member
  • Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2010, 10:20:25 PM »
I haven't been playing much recently, too busy running people over in GTA4, but I'm @Shizzlick.