Author Topic: The Doctor returns, spoilers etc etc  (Read 20750 times)

Offline MageGrayWolf

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • JKcoder
Re: The Doctor returns, spoilers etc etc
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2010, 12:38:14 PM »
5) Lack of trust.
Not sure how to title this one, but in general, the past Doctors have been more of the "If you get into a spot, and the Doctor shows up, you trust your life to him without reservation, and he'll get you through".  This new Doctor though?  I don't feel like I'd trust him to watch my dog, much less trust him with my life.  Any other Doctor shows up on my doorstep, I'd be doing my damndest to get myself invited along for an adventure.  Matt Smith's Doctor shows up, I feel like I'd tell him to get the hell off my property and take whatever bad luck he has following him with 'em.  Unless Amy Pond was there in one of those mini-skirts, and that I'd have a clear opportunity to push her fiance off a cliff without getting caught, then I'd go.  "No no Doctor, you go ahead and stop the Daleks, Amy and I will just stay here in the Tardis.  We'll go see if the pool has a hot tub or not, I bet you'd like a nice soak once you're done saving the universe."

I agree with you on this one. There have been very campy Doctors in the past but even at it's worst they always had a sense of knowing what they were doing with centuries fo experience backing them, even when they acted like idiots. This one just acts like an idiot.

I really think the problem is in the writing more then the actor.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2010, 01:32:31 PM »
I really like this new Doctor. Of course like every hetrosexual male on the planet, I want to stick my dick in Amy Pond.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2010, 07:05:58 PM »
I really must start watching the new Dr Who.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2010, 10:29:56 PM »
After Last night's episode I really feel sorry for her.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2010, 10:57:54 PM »
I really like this new Doctor. Of course like every hetrosexual male on the planet, I want to stick my dick in Amy Pond.

It's the hair and the accent for me.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2010, 11:55:18 PM »

It's the hair and the accent for me.

Is it just me, or is her accent very light? I mean, there are times I'd swear she was American.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2010, 12:22:49 AM »
'Cept for the fact that both Karen Gillan and Amy are Scottish.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2010, 03:17:59 AM »

classy! I found Martha hotter myself (although arguably she was the weakest companion overall).

Anyway I've gotten out of sync and don't want to be too spoileriffic until America catches up, but Vincent and the Doctor was really moving. Best one of the season so far, I reckon. (and a great cameo from Bill Nighy)

The Lodger meanwhile did the "impact on ordinary peoples lives" thing like Love and Monsters. Except that sucked horribly whilst this was a lot of fun. Great moment: doctor charging out of the shower waving an electric toothbrush.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2010, 09:08:12 AM »
'Cept for the fact that both Karen Gillan and Amy are Scottish.

I know, it's wierd.

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2010, 02:16:51 PM »

classy! I found Martha hotter myself (although arguably she was the weakest companion overall).

Anyway I've gotten out of sync and don't want to be too spoileriffic until America catches up, but Vincent and the Doctor was really moving. Best one of the season so far, I reckon. (and a great cameo from Bill Nighy)

The Lodger meanwhile did the "impact on ordinary peoples lives" thing like Love and Monsters. Except that sucked horribly whilst this was a lot of fun. Great moment: doctor charging out of the shower waving an electric toothbrush.

Don't feel too bad. I've just watched "The Pandorica Opens" this morning. I'm loathe to admit that I yelled at the screen at the end. And I can't help but agree with you on "Vincent and The Doctor." Especially the end of the ep.

New Haven Chronicles

Offline MageGrayWolf

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • JKcoder
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2010, 04:58:25 PM »
Saw "The Pandorica Opens" This one I really enjoyed. As I keep seeing plot holes in this season, this one as well had a somewhat bad plot hole. How did the picture of Rory still exist in Amy's house, since he was erased from time?  But unlike some of the other pot holes this one was  bit easier to over look since the rest of it was just that much more enjoyable.

The ending really has me wondering what will happen next.

Offline mark

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2010, 10:13:21 PM »
Saw "The Big Bang" and while not exactly awful, the numerous deus ex machina (at least 5 distinct ones by my count) left a bad taste in the mouth. I do think this incarnation of the Doctor still has a lot to live up to going by the glowing description River Song gives in "Forest of the Dead." A major plot point was also left unresolved, though going by the dialogue of the closing scene it looks like that's going to be drawn out into next year's big mystery.

To be honest, I think I'm more interested in seeing how Torchwood's fourth season is going to play out than in the next season of Doctor Who.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 10:16:56 PM by mark »
"Even if a hundred percent of the people polled like f%#&ing Hobbit movies, they still suck." --Penn Jillette

Offline MageGrayWolf

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • JKcoder
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2010, 01:06:14 AM »
To be honest, I think I'm more interested in seeing how Torchwood's fourth season is going to play out than in the next season of Doctor Who.

So they are doing another Torchwood?
Honestly I don't think they really need to, the way they wrapped everything up didn't seemed to leave much unresolved.

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2010, 03:49:37 AM »
Well the finale left me scratching my head a bit over erased time and restored time and people's memory of time. Has season 5 never happened now? (but they remember it anyway). Also past events that were erased, like the Daleks stealing earth, has that now all happened again?

It was deus-ex-machina-ish but Who finales always are. I certainly preferred it to "doctor gains superpowers by the magic of belief" or the hideously annoying Doctor Donna.

It looks like next season we'll find out why the tardis was exploding and who River really is. Also possibly what "silence will fall" means as that seems to be something separate from the whole collapsing-universe thing. Mind you I'd also like to know exactly why the Time Lords made a time-travelling-spaceship that destroys the universe when it blows up! You'd think that's a bit risky.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2010, 10:57:11 PM »
Saturday I saw Vincent and the Doctor. Not too bad, but a bit of a downer ending for Amy since she was expecting his exhibit to be much larger after they got back to 2010.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2010, 12:09:36 AM »
Mind you I'd also like to know exactly why the Time Lords made a time-travelling-spaceship that destroys the universe when it blows up! You'd think that's a bit risky.

Of course, who knew the destroys-time-and-the-universe-if-exploded timeship would be taken by a guy who steers it with something called a Zig Zag Plotter, and uses a mallet to push buttons.  :P

Offline MageGrayWolf

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • JKcoder
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2010, 09:49:41 PM »
Of course, who knew the destroys-time-and-the-universe-if-exploded timeship would be taken by a guy who steers it with something called a Zig Zag Plotter, and uses a mallet to push buttons.  :P

Least we know it's in safe hands.

Offline mark

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2010, 01:41:53 AM »
I think the finale stands up better after a second viewing. Nowhere near as bad as the DoctorDonna, though I think the whole thing with the tenth Doctor being telepathically rejuvenated via the human population's happy thoughts carried on a satellite network still looks better on paper than the Doctor's comeback this time around.

Has season 5 never happened now? (but they remember it anyway).

The way the cracks in the universe have always been portrayed is that they physically remove something/someone from history and all memory of it/them. Never was the timeline changed by anyone falling into a crack (Amy's birth being a prime example, if that isn't too spoilerish). I say season 5 happened as well as other things like the Dalek invasion of season 4.
"Even if a hundred percent of the people polled like f%#&ing Hobbit movies, they still suck." --Penn Jillette

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2010, 08:03:36 PM »
The Pandorica Opens: Ho-ly Crap!

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2010, 11:07:04 AM »
The Pandorica Opens: Ho-ly Crap!
I was sadly disappointed in this one.  I mean, I'm sure everybody saw the ending coming from almost the very start.  "The one person in the universe that everyone hated, that couldn't be reasoned with, that was so feared that he had to be locked away for all eternity."

I mean, the only person that could fit that bill is the Doctor himself.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2010, 02:17:24 PM »
True, that was mostly my first thought after they closed the Pandorica on him.

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2010, 02:19:36 PM »
I think that may be one of the things that makes me not like this Doctor.

They're really playing up the self loathing this time around.  Sure, Tennant's Doctor wasn't his own biggest fan, but he didn't go around saying how much he hated himself.  This one had an entire episode revolving around this Doctor's own "Only one person in the universe hates me that much, me" issues.

Its like this Doctor is much darker than the last few, but tries to cover it up with being goofy like some of the previous Doctors.  This "I'm terminally depressed and hate myself, but everybody expects a light hearted fun Doctor, so I guess thats what I'll try to be" angle just isn't working for me.

Offline mark

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2010, 12:32:11 AM »
This one had an entire episode revolving around this Doctor's own "Only one person in the universe hates me that much, me" issues.

Assuming you mean "Amy's Choice," maybe it's just the spores talking, but it struck me almost like an episode out of Star Trek partly for that reason. Don't know if that's a good thing.

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2010, 12:29:51 PM »
Yeah, Amy's Choice, which has another quality I don't like about this Doctor.

He lies.

He knew that both choices were false, and knew what was going on, but let his companions suffer for no apparent reason.

This is the man that took the name of Doctor because he wanted to help people.  Sure, you could say he was helping Amy make her choice, but damn, don't you think he could have done it in a less emotionally scarring way?  Over and over again we seem to get him not just knowing whats going on and not telling anybody, but causing people to undergo needless pain and suffering because of it.

Maybe its just me though.  Maybe I am trying to find things to back up me not liking him instead of not liking him because of the things I find.  I'm probably too close to be objective on that one.  Anybody else get that feeling though?

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2010, 12:54:48 PM »
He seems to me to be a balance between the 9th Doctor's underlying contempt for humanity (how many times did he call humans "stupid ape"s" or something similar?), and the 10th Doctor's natural high good nature.