Author Topic: The Doctor returns, spoilers etc etc  (Read 20755 times)

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
Re: The Doctor returns, spoilers etc etc
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2010, 06:51:38 PM »
Watched Pandorica Opens again, and I think I just spotted a nasty little plot hole.

In a previous episode (one I apparently missed), Rory falls into one of those time cracks and gets erased from history.  Even Amy forgets all about him.

But, when River is going through Amy's stuff, she finds a picture of Amy... and Rory in a centurion costume.  If he had been erased from history, how is there still a picture of him and Amy together in her house?

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2010, 08:19:08 PM »
It was the second half of the 2 parter with the Silurians where he died, then got erased. As for why there might still be pictures of him... Best guess? There's a crack in one of her walls.

On another note... I find myself scared to find out who River really is due to how the Dalek reacted to her. It was rather unnerving. I mean not even the Doctor scares them that badly.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2010, 10:51:43 PM »
I think it was meant that it wasn't actually Rory, but a actor playing a Roman soldier. Who ever was fucking around with Amy's life created Rory as a way to manipulate her.

It had something to do with the plan they baddies came up with IIRC
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2010, 11:19:26 PM »
Missed the first showing of the finale, caught the midnight repeat.

What.  The.  Fu...dge.

I know this series has a habit of pulling happy endings out of it's ass, but this is the first time it actually went "clap your hands and say I believe in fairies!", and thats including the old hobbit doctor with a whole planet going clicking it's heals together in this statement.  I'll admit, I thought the "Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, and Something... BLUE!" bit was absolutely brilliant, and its nice to see both a male and a female companion in the Tardis again as equals instead of doey eyed clingers on, but really, wtf?

Rose looked into the heart of the Tardis and absorbed it, and became a goddess.  That was supremely cool.

Donna Noble fused with the Doctor and became the Doctor-Donna, okay, bit of a stretch, but to see the whole group together, flying the Tardis smooth as silk, it was worth it.

Amy Pond absorbing the memory of the entirety of time and space and recreating the entire universe and then wishing the Doctor back, thats just a step too far.

I'm officially sick of female companions that are progressively the most important person in the entire universe.  And Rory remembers the Doctor now too.  He remembers his old life.  He remembers being over 2,000 years old?  How does that not all come crashing into you like a ton of bricks?  He played silent guardian for all of modern civilization, never sleeping, never wavering from his chosen duty, and that didn't change him at all?

And now that the cracks are gone like they never were, has the established history of daleks in the skies and stolen planets and all that officially "happened" again?  If not, Rose and Donna were integral parts of all that, what happened to them?  Its... its like they tried to take the successful story elements from the previous seasons and just recast them with a whimsical indifference to plot or reason.  That was... just... retarded.  Seriously, as in stunted and limited in scope, held back from true potential "don't laugh, it can't help but be that way" kind of retardation.

This?  This is what Doctor Who has become?

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2010, 11:46:48 PM »
All I know is that I can't wait until next season.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2010, 09:03:18 PM »
Well, takes all kinds to make the world go 'round.  I'm glad you're enjoying it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUld2qcyNpw
"He's like fire and ice and rage.  He's like the night, and the storm at the heart of the sun.  He's ancient and forever.  He burns at the center of time and can see the turn of the universe.  And... he's wonderful."

I just don't feel like that applies anymore, and I miss it.

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2010, 02:21:07 AM »
I still don't think this is the most whimsical that Who has ever been. And I'll say it, I preferred Tennant, but I'm not hostile towards Smith. I just think he needs to find the balance between somber and silly. Preferable more on the silly side, in my opinion. That said, the delivery of "No one human talks to me today" I find somewhat chilling.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2010, 05:36:14 AM »
I thought it was the Pandorica (which somehow carried information on the entire universe) being thrown into an asploding Tardis (that asplodes everywhere) that recreated the universe? That much i followed even if it involves magic boxes. Then Amy just recreated teh doctor by... remembering.. and she had a crack in her wall.

Okay I don't get it either. But the doctor is still ancient and burning and forever.

Also I hope that stupid giant cybermech is permanently fallen into a crack in time, because there's no way that could have happened without a huge impact on our history.

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2010, 09:08:53 PM »
I thought it was the Pandorica (which somehow carried information on the entire universe) being thrown into an asploding Tardis (that asplodes everywhere) that recreated the universe? That much i followed even if it involves magic boxes. Then Amy just recreated teh doctor by... remembering.. and she had a crack in her wall.

Okay I don't get it either. But the doctor is still ancient and burning and forever.

Also I hope that stupid giant cybermech is permanently fallen into a crack in time, because there's no way that could have happened without a huge impact on our history.
The way the Doctor explained it was that "If you can remember it, its not really gone".  The cracks radiated out from when the Tardis exploded, to every where and every when in history, so that everything and everywhen was linked together through the cracks.  And that Amy had just happened to grow up right next to one of those cracks, so she had the entire history of the universe sort of radiating through her head for half her life, leaving a psychic imprint that the Pandorica then used to revive everything after having soaked it all up for 2 millenia.  And since she remembered the Doctor, it recreated him as well.

Least thats how I understood it.

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2010, 01:03:28 AM »
That leaves the only truly hand-wavium idea in the episode the light itself. Keeping the subject alive in the Pandorica makes some sense, though having that effect carried so far outside the vessel is a touch too far.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline The Unbound

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2010, 09:29:04 AM »
So far as I understand the show's premise, it's not supposed to make actual sense. The Doctor just has to say it in such a way that you go 'oh, okay then', and then don't have time to think too much about it after that.

The basic idea, as far as I recall, is that "the box has this magical light that makes it impossible for things inside it to be dead, and I - being the Doctor, and obviously capable of such things - just used an exploding TARDIS to shine that light on the entire universe at the same time."

Anyway, it makes sense that, if the universe has been rebuilt from a blueprint in Amy's head, then if she remembers another detail about that blueprint, the universe should remember that detail at the same time. Well, kind of makes sense. Makes sense in terms of the Who-verse's rather curious scale for measuring make sense-iness. It's not worse, for instance, than asking us to believe that you can render the Daleks helpless by playing a brass piano that doesn't work.
Steady on.