Author Topic: Guillermo Del Toro leaves THE HOBBIT...  (Read 2872 times)

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
Guillermo Del Toro leaves THE HOBBIT...
« on: May 31, 2010, 06:56:56 PM »
AICN

Hey folks, Harry here and I am all at once incredibly sad and relieved that our good friend Guillermo Del Toro is leaving THE HOBBIT two-parter. Sad, because I know - beyond any doubt what Guillermo's HOBBIT would've been. I can see in my mind's eye the look of the film, the flow of the film and the loving detail his wonderful eyes would give us. And to a degree, some of Guillermo's vision will always be a part of the eventual films that will eventually be made.

The questions that now come into play are filled with wild curiousity. TheOneRing.Net has the official press release. The main reason for this is that Guillermo had pre-existing commitments with Universal for a whole slate of films, that the absurd situation with MGM has caused to occur. SO... Now - will THE HOBBIT be made in time for Warner's announced dates? Will Peter Jackson, who hasn't committed to a next feature - that is, at least, announced thus far.

With Peter still producing and overseeing the project - I'm sure we won't get a Brett Ratner or Paul W.S. Anderson aboard. But if Peter is still reticent to helm THE HOBBIT... Who would you folks like to see take the reins from Guillermo? Whose aesthetic fits both Peter and Guillermo? The mind boggles.

Now you may ask why I'm relieved. The reason I'm relieved is that while I knew intellectually that Guillermo would make a great HOBBIT film... I was terrified of the second film. BUT mainly I want to see Guillermo's more Guillermo-themed projects. Weird bits of awesome. I am concerned now that without HOBBIT's success - that I may never see AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS get made, which is the Number 1 film I need to see Guillermo make. And in Guillermo's heart, it is his as well. Who knows. Maybe that'll end up being next. But Guillermo has the following films in a stage of development -- HATER, CHAMPIONS, SATURN AND THE END OF DAYS, PINNOCHIO, DEATH: THE HIGH COST OF LIVING, THE WITCHES, DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE, FRANKENSTEIN and DROOD.

This sucks. I was really looking forwards to his takes on Moria, Mirkwood, Smaug, and the Lonely Mountain.

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
Re: Guillermo Del Toro leaves THE HOBBIT...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 07:33:36 PM »
This sucks huge ass, but is understandable. At this point I seriously doubt the films will ever be made.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 09:03:59 PM »
This sucks huge ass, but is understandable. At this point I seriously doubt the films will ever be made.

They will be. Or at least one will. There's too much money to be made. Let's just hope we don't end up with SW Prequel shit 15-20 years down the road.

Offline mark

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 12:40:58 AM »
I'm not convinced that Del Toro was the right person for the job anyway. The Hobbit is completely different from LotR in both story and tone. It should stand alone as a well-done whimsical fantasy adventure. A director like Robert Zemeckis or Terry Gilliam would be a better fit.
"Even if a hundred percent of the people polled like f%#&ing Hobbit movies, they still suck." --Penn Jillette

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 07:02:43 PM »
Del Toro would have been amazing. One name that's been bandied about that would be amazing would be Alfonso Cuaron.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 07:37:32 PM »
Uwe Boll or no one.  Maybe with Michael Bay as executive producer.  Now that would be an awesome movie.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.