Author Topic: Rearranging RotS  (Read 2737 times)

Offline Indefatigable

• Deo Adjuvante
    • View Profile
Rearranging RotS
« on: July 10, 2010, 07:04:20 PM »
I was in Canada recently when some American channel decided to show all six SW films back-to-back.  I dropped in sometime in AotC and watched all the way to TESB (which will always be the best IMO) before I got Lucas fatigue.  Apart from noticing that the acting got a lot better when the original three came on, I had a few thoughts on RotS.  Mostly, why did we only see Vader transformed at the end?

Surely, it would have been a lot better if his fight with Obi-Wan had happened a lot earlier, and they had left him for dead, then he came back to kill the Jedi in his new form.  The Jedi survivors (some holed up in the temple, others on the run) would think that they had a chance to survive and destroy the Emperor until Vader came back with a vengeance.  Perhaps even a last meeting with Padme before she dies, or maybe he arrives too late and just finds her body with no way to bring it back (the Emperor's promise was a lie), or perhaps he tries and fails.  Somehow, I think it works better that way.

I'd be curious to know what other people think.
Still rambling away...

Offline mark

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Rearranging RotS
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 11:27:44 PM »
That would certainly be a better way to rearrange it so as to make Anakin's conversion to the dark side make more sense, but then you have the problem of what to make his fight with Obi-Wan about.

I'd probably do more than just rearrange RotS. I would have liked it to be more about Palpatine having a more precarious hold on power and heavily dependent upon the PR of Anakin as a war hero for his administration. But seeing the threat Anakin poses to himself, Palpatine would find the need to cut him down to size somehow, resulting in his ultimate disfigurement.

I'd also do a few other things to bring it in line with the original trilogy, like not have Padme die, have Obi-Wan already going by "Ben" as a possible reflection of him dejectedly leaving his calling as a Jedi, and set up the relationship between Anakin and Tarkin so as to glimpse some kind of explanation for why Vader tolerates Tarkin's authority in ANH to the point that Leia jibes about Tarkin being the one she'd expect to find holding Vader's "leash."
"Even if a hundred percent of the people polled like f%#&ing Hobbit movies, they still suck." --Penn Jillette

Offline Indefatigable

• Deo Adjuvante
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 04:16:22 PM »
I've been thinking about this for a bit.  Palpatine would probably need a defence staff of some kind to control the clones without the Jedi's help.  Tarkin could be some equivalent of Chief of the Defence Staff, someone necessary and trusted (more or less) but deeply distrusted by the Jedi.  Not quite sure how the dynamic would work, but something like that.
Still rambling away...

Offline Glory to the Dominion

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 03:31:07 AM »
It was a great dissapointment that we didnt get to see post-mustafar Vader actually do anything, the Anakin/Obiwan fight was awesome but we all wanted to see Vader beat the snot out of at least one Jedi. It would have been kind of weird if it were tagged onto the end of the movie, and in some respects the pacing of the movie would have been off had they attempted it, so perhaps an earlier anakin/obi fight would have been better.

And as much as I understand it, I hate that Vader was demoted to a 2nd rate apprentice in the post-movie books, games and comments by Lucas. Even tho he had injuries I was still hoping somehow that he was going to be the ultimate badass who for reasons unexplained (having yet to learn full dark side secrets perhaps) was tolerating Palpatine ordering him around.

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 12:25:45 PM »
If I had my way (and by way, I mean a time machine, a shovel, and the means to surgically switch faces convincingly) I wouldn't just rearrange RotS, but the whole damn prequel series. There are some serious, fundamental problems with the films (and I don't mean things like "Hayden Christensen is a crap actor!" or "They used too much CGI!") that can only be rectified by a hard restart. It's always shocked me that no group of fans have ever banded together to make a "virtual prequel series", in the same way that "virtual sequel series" are a dime a dozen. It'd be an interesting project to work on, but seeing how the community designed ship project went, I doubt this is the board to pull it off.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson