Author Topic: Now *THAT* is an NX-01!  (Read 17552 times)

Offline Marian87

• View Profile
    • deviant art profile
Re: Now *THAT* is an NX-01!
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2010, 02:51:45 PM »
I like the NX for what it is.
Indeed it does look too advanced, but we're stuck with it as canon, so honestly I don't find the addition of an engineering hull too bothering. The main damage was already done when its design was adopted for the show.

A more interesting path would have been the other way round, starting out with the cilindrical engineering hull as the main hull of the ship  instead of the saucer.
I think in that way it would have been much easier to swallow, it would have had a passing resemblence to the starfleet museum ships which many people loved and considered "canon", it would have looked different enough from TOS and TMP ships, plus the adition of a saucer section later on would have been easier to accept.

"For I dipt into the future, far as human eye could see,Saw the Vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be;"
ALFRED, LORD TENNYSON

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2010, 12:35:24 PM »
Ooh, I like that idea!

No saucer, just a spartan engineering hull with nacelles.  Trek combat has always been very naval/submarine, play that up a bit more in the original ship designs as a bit of a "well, we learned how to do this in a glorified flying submarine, and that sort of stuck with us".

And seeing as how the original Enterprise was supposed to be able to break the saucer off as a lifeboat (was that TOS, or was it an unused ability from TMP?), it would make sense.  The first real starship started as a hull, then later they bolted a saucer onto it in such a way that they could blow the couplings and leave it behind.  That design feature carried through until TNG when they made it a reusable ability.

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2010, 03:40:51 PM »
The most interesting NX redesign I've seen was a mash up of the Intrepid and the NX, so it was the NX saucer, no Catamarans, and the "engineering hull", i.e. the back bit, of the Intrepid with NX nacelles. I could never find it again, but it always stuck with me as a cool design.

This one by Niklas (whoever that is) featured on EAS isn't bad, but I would (again) completely remove the catamaran/twin hull, and extend the engineering hull backwards. If I have time, or access to photoshop/anykind of drawing program, I'll whip up an example.

Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2010, 04:23:50 PM »
What about instead of bolting the engineering hull onto the bottom of the saucer, we expand the catamaran pod out into a full secondary hull and give it a 3 part design held together in the back by the pylons?

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2010, 05:06:39 PM »
Like this?

*EDIT* Hot linked from EAS, which resulted in fail. Re-uploaded to image-shack. Everyone cool?

More Orthos!

*WE NEED MOAR EDITS*

Here's a 'bash (if you can call it that) that Guido did for me, it's a rough idea of how I'd imagine the "Missing Link Class", the one that falls between the NX and the Constitution.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 05:14:05 PM by The Daft Punk »
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."

Offline jolene-b-fan

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2010, 07:53:20 AM »
that image is pretty cool.  Agreed on Daedalu as being ugly, it does look like a first attempt at a ship.

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2010, 08:46:01 AM »
that image is pretty cool.  Agreed on Daedalu as being ugly, it does look like a first attempt at a ship.

That is because the Daedalus *was* a first attempt at a ship.

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2010, 11:51:46 AM »

That is because the Daedalus *was* a first attempt at a ship.

Where is that written in canon? When did anyone ever turn to the camera and say "By the way, here is the Daedalus class, and it was the first ship in Starfleet"

Secondly, just because it's the first ship (which it's not, but let's play make-believe) doesn't mean it has to look like shit. The Daedalus class looks stupid, ungainly, and poorly designed. The best fan-theory I've heard on why it looks so crappy compared to the NX was that they were mass-produced during the Romulan war as frigates or something, pretty much just slapped together and thrown at the enemy.
~~~~~~~~

Offline Greg

• Lord of Lava Lamp
  • Eminent Member
  • Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2010, 12:34:50 PM »
I think Bernd meant that the Daedulus was the first attempt at a ship, what with it being an early concept for the TOS Connie. Not that it was the first Starfleet ship.

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2010, 01:12:35 AM »
I think Bernd meant that the Daedulus was the first attempt at a ship, what with it being an early concept for the TOS Connie. Not that it was the first Starfleet ship.

Yes, that's what I meant. :)

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2010, 07:51:37 AM »
Sorry, but my hatred for the Daedalus is so thick and rich you could drizzle it on pancakes.
~~~~~~~~

Offline The Unbound

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2010, 08:42:52 AM »
... yum?
Steady on.

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2010, 04:09:16 PM »
YOU'RE GODDAMN RIGHT YUM.
~~~~~~~~

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2010, 05:49:10 PM »
Daft, why haven't you turned that into a product? Rage syrup, distilled with ragey goodness.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2010, 11:44:48 AM »
Mmmm... sweet sweet rageahol.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2017, 04:04:46 AM »
Once, long a go, I designed an NX/Connie in-between for CX's (in hindsight, crappy and poorly run) Star Trek: Foundations
  :'(
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR