Author Topic: Facebook anyone?  (Read 17538 times)

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
Facebook anyone?
« on: July 17, 2010, 03:07:44 AM »
So I tried to set up a Facebook page for EAS (because for some reason an increasing number of people expect it from a website).

And I now know why everyone dislikes the privacy policy/settings of Facebook.

For starters, there is no way that I could set up an account named "Ex Astris Scientia" or something. It has to be my name, and I have to provide some personal information. I may be able to verify my account via SMS, which didn't work though (in which case I might have been able to change my user name).

I can set up a *page* for EAS, but a page is something different and apparently doesn't allow much customization and it is not possible to use any applications (such as auto-feeding it with my RSS feed, which would be indispensable and would be the only reason for me to care about Facebook at all).

But the worst of all is that I can't tell what everyone can see of the information I post at Facebook. I can make certain things visible only for "Friends" but essentially I don't know which personal information is displayed for whom. I don't know where Facebook draws the line between the personal page and the "fan page" and how they are linked to each other.

And now the unbelievable thing: I am not even told the URLs of my pages!!!!!! No kidding. Because when I'm logged in I see the page the way only I myself am supposed to see it. When I'm logged out I can't find it any more. And I can't search for myself unless I'm logged in!

This is outrageous!

Anyone with Facebook experience who may help me?

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook anyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 08:49:28 PM »
I've set up a couple pages now for marketing purposes, so I can probably help you out.  You'll definitely want to use a fan page for this type of activity...it's discouraged/prohibited to use a regular account for this, and it makes privacy infinitely easier, since you can 'hide' behind the page as an administrator instead of trying to mix a private and public persona in a regular account.

I can set up a *page* for EAS, but a page is something different and apparently doesn't allow much customization and it is not possible to use any applications (such as auto-feeding it with my RSS feed, which would be indispensable and would be the only reason for me to care about Facebook at all).

Yes, applications do work - not all of the ones available for profiles are available for pages, however.  To add an application, you can go to the application and just hit the "add to my Page" option.  Among the most useful is "Static FBML".  This allows you to create tabs on your fan profile that you can use pseudo-HTML on to create fairly rich content.  Off the top of my head, check out http://www.facebook.com/Canucks for some FBML examples (Canucks Gifts, Canucks Mobile, etc.).

Among the applications are RSS readers, although I couldn't find one I liked and stopped looking.  That was some time ago though.  I don't think your status updates can be automatically filled based on an RSS feed, but I believe you can set up your EAS twitter account to feed your page's status updates.

But the worst of all is that I can't tell what everyone can see of the information I post at Facebook. I can make certain things visible only for "Friends" but essentially I don't know which personal information is displayed for whom. I don't know where Facebook draws the line between the personal page and the "fan page" and how they are linked to each other.

Privacy is still somewhat of a mess.  If you're looking to keep fairly private, the best bet is to go through the security settings and set everything to "just friends".  You can block your profile from appearing from public searches and significantly strip down what is visible to someone you haven't friended.

The fan page and the personal page aren't linked together at all, as far as I'm aware.  When you're viewing a page (generally or if you're a fan of it), you can't see who the administrators are.  There's some info on this in the FB support docs.

And now the unbelievable thing: I am not even told the URLs of my pages!!!!!! No kidding. Because when I'm logged in I see the page the way only I myself am supposed to see it. When I'm logged out I can't find it any more. And I can't search for myself unless I'm logged in!

Yeah, this is really obnoxious.  The only solution I know is inconvenient, but fast.  Go to your page, logout, then hit the back button on your browser.  You'll get a URL that's something like www.facebook.com/pages/City-Province/Name-of-Page/########### that's publicly accessible.  After you get 25 fans, you can get a unique URL for your page, ex. facebook.com/exastrisscientia
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 08:51:59 PM by Broken Subspace Scene »

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 02:24:31 PM »
Oh thanks. This will be very helpful.

I admit I didn't bother checking the FB help so far, as I don't like sifting through FAQs and forums (for things that are obviously not as self-explanatory as they should be).

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 03:55:04 PM »
Here it is:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ex-Astris-Scientia/140945059265639

I hope I'll be able to fill it with content soon. I set up Twitterfeed to post RSS to Facebook. Not sure if that will work.

Offline Captain Serek

• Captain of the USS Intrepid NCC-1738
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to SFOF
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 11:17:08 AM »
I saw it and liked it immediately.
I've come a long way for the power of Genesis and what do I find? A Square Pegs reject, another actress playing Saavik and Leonard Nimoy's stand-in!

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 10:52:35 AM »
It's really not bad considering that I can easily add features. I have to say I like the concept of the Facebook fan pages because they are not designed to compete with the real thing or even forget the actual topic.

Offline JHauck

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 01:39:39 AM »