Author Topic: Predators?  (Read 2490 times)

Offline slash78

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
Predators?
« on: July 30, 2010, 02:27:42 PM »
Nothing on here about Predators?  What gives?

First movie I've gone out to see in a while.  After Predator 2 and AVP (Still haven't seen AVP:R and I'm not inclined to) I thought it was going to be crappy.  I was suprised.  Fairly predictable, but enough little twists to make it enjoyable.  It had feel of the first Predator which is good if you like the first one.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
Re: Predators?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 04:21:29 PM »
http://www.subspace-comms.net/index.php?topic=3487.0

You weren't looking in the right section, but nobody's posted in that thread in months, so yeah... That said, I'll probably just wait for the DVD.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 07:43:45 PM »
It was a slight improvement over AvP and a vast improvement over AvP:R, but that's not saying much. It was way too dependent on the mood and setting of the first Predator, sometimes lifting entire scenes and dialogue directly from that movie. It kills off some of the more interesting characters too soon while leaving the most predictable characters to survive. The "Super" Predator was goofy looking and entirely unnecessary. The characters who know details that could save their collective asses withhold information when there's no logical reason to do so, except perhaps to keep it a mystery from the audience who already knows the information.

That being said, Adrien Brody did a good job and was believable as a mercenary, as was the woman who played the Israeli sniper and Topher Grace as a doctor who is something more. It would have been a better story to see the criminal half of the group have to work together, though, under Machete and Yakuza guy, but it was still a good "team." Lawrence Fishburne is completely wasted in a bit role, however. I would have also liked to have seen the new alien species developed a bit instead of just shown as a dead body.

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 09:42:59 PM »
Was I the only one thinking (at the very start of the movie) "Okay, you're alone in a jungle, you have your gun, and a guy just fell to his death right next to you.  He also is covered in guns and ammo.  ROLL THE BODY!"

I mean, the (now) corpse is carrying a ton of very useful gear, why do you just leave it all on him and walk away?

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 02:37:00 AM »
That and the fact that they knew from fairly early on that the Predators hunted by infrared yet did nothing to capitalize on it until the end of the film.

Offline slash78

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 02:41:01 AM »
I found it enjoyable.  Of course, if your expectations are so low to begin with it's easy to be pleasantly suprised.

Lawrence Fishburne is completely wasted in a bit role, however.

I actually like that.  I wasn't expecting it.  You usually have an actor such as him come in and be a large and intigral part of the plot.  That's why it was nice to see a little bit of unpredictablity.  It was kind of like the only good part of Deep Blue Sea when SLJ is eaten.  You didn't seen it coming.  

Adrien Brody needs to do more action movies.  Or ones where he plays a hardass.  Too bad there isn't a casting call for Grand Admiral Thrawn.