Author Topic: Skyline Trailer  (Read 5996 times)

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
Skyline Trailer
« on: August 12, 2010, 09:07:56 AM »
The trailer for the mass alien abduction film 'Skyline' can be found at the official site, here. I'd never heard of this movie before today, but it seems to be getting some good buzz since being shown at Comic-Con, and the visuals are stunning and fairly original - at least in terms of scale - as far as alien abductions go. The use of Stephen Hawking's comments on alien first contact are a clever move as well, though you have to wonder at the fixation on two news reports on that instead of showing any dialogue from the cast.

Some worrisome aspects are that it's being directed by the Strause Bros. who are great in the FX field they're used to working in (as evidenced by the outstanding graphics done on a budget in the trailer) but not so hot when it comes to directing ('Alien vs. Predator: Requiem'). The cast is b-rate given the low(er) budget nature of the film, but potentially good:

Donald Faison (Turk from Scrubs)
David Zayas (Angel from Dexter)
Eric Balfour (Jesse from BtVS, Milo from 24, currently on Haven)
Scottie Thompson (Jeanne Benoit from NCIS)

One description said it's sort of like an alien abduction version of 'Cloverfield' (minus the shakeycam) in that it focuses on a group of LA partygoers and how they deal with the massive events going on around them.

Until I hear otherwise about it not being good, those visuals have hooked me in big time and made this a highly anticipated film for me this Fall.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 09:10:40 AM by Bond, James Bond »

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
Re: Skyline Trailer
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 10:10:44 AM »
Although i admit its early i can't help but say i'm getting a "Meh" feeling.

Can anyone say: Cloverfield meets Independence Day?
Human Nature. Without a common enemy , men will look for foes in the one place they can guarantee finding one: The Past. -Eoforth, Sigmar's right hand man,

A mind without a purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor, Inquisitor of the Imperium of Mankind.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 12:56:08 PM »
Looks interesting from that trailer.

Were they using the music from '07 Transformers movie?
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 03:29:10 PM »
The trailer looks interesting and if nothing else, it's a different take on the mass abduction idea.  Rather then taking many people one at a time, it seems to just take entire groups, hundreds and possibly thousands at a time.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 06:40:12 PM »
Can anyone say: Cloverfield meets Independence Day?

I'm pretty sure I basically said that in the post immediately preceding yours, so yes? :P

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 09:39:53 PM »
Hey, someones gotta put things in lay-man terms.  ;)
Human Nature. Without a common enemy , men will look for foes in the one place they can guarantee finding one: The Past. -Eoforth, Sigmar's right hand man,

A mind without a purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor, Inquisitor of the Imperium of Mankind.

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 12:50:38 PM »
And that someone was Bond.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 11:37:31 PM »
The full length trailer is out. Gives a little more impression of the acting (nothing glaringly bad) and a lot more visuals of the alien ships/ground vehicles, the abductions up close, and the military fighting the aliens. The visuals are still looking outstanding and worth the price of admission on their own.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 01:38:58 AM »
I have the feeling that this one might have something of a twist at the end.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 08:58:23 PM »
Looks interesting but as Bond pointed out its got the Strauss brothers behind it.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 05:47:16 PM »
I was mulling over which thread to put this in, this one or in one of the others for something this, it makes sense to put it here. I've been back from the movie for almost an hour now and... The movie itself wasn't too bad, but the ending was a bit weak.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 10:04:28 AM »
We seem to be getting a decent amount of Alien Invasion movies this fall/winter.

Here's the trailer for Battle: Los Angeles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORb3zC8z94w&feature=player_embedded

This looks cool.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
Right, here's my thoughts. The trailer drew me in. It looked like a decently funded alien invasion/escape movie. Boy howdy was I wrong. If I had to guess, 70% of the budget went to special effects, and that was mostly for the background shots. Any effects with creatures at close range were fairly weak, in comparison to the long range shots, and in my opinion, that money would have been better spent on decent practical effects. The sets, sorry, set had me thinking that they grabbed the place before it was to be demolished and spruced up a couple suites. The first 15 minutes had me actually waiting for the cast to die, and the only human I had any hope for was the building attendant, who as far as I recall, didn't get his name mentioned in dialogue. I did actually cheer for the one drone during the big dogfight in the middle of the movie. I will also give credit for creature design, as they seemed to do something different than we've seen before.

Vague Spoilers:
The ending was so contrived, within the context of the movie, that it seemed like it was out of a completely different genre. Blue brain good, red brain bad apparently. My only hope is that they weren't trying to leave themselves open for a sequel.

I don't regret watching this over Jackass 3D. I do regret not watching Red over this.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 11:27:26 PM »
Sorry to disappoint, but the directors are hoping to make a sequel to it and the ending, to use the term lightly, was intended as a hook to the next one. ... Of course, I'm not even remotely convinced it'll come at all.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 11:29:53 PM by Fiery Little One »

Offline Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 07:45:12 PM »
I just watched Skyline online out of curiosity. It does suck because there isn't a plot and all the nick-nacks. But for an Ooh Ahh kind of movie it was certainly quite badass.

I don't know what all the fuss is about, maybe some people are more nitpicky than others. But I thought this was a fairly enjoyable kick-back-and-enjoy movie.

Now, I could definitely they were trying to make their own aliens...but the tall 30 story tall guys were more reminiscent of the mechanical Giants from the Never Ending Story 2.

The drones looked like the alien in the biomechanical suit from Independence Day. Except with their own modifications.