Author Topic: Will there be a replacement for SW Galaxies?  (Read 3978 times)

Offline slash78

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
Will there be a replacement for SW Galaxies?
« on: August 26, 2010, 09:42:52 PM »
So, what do you think?  Will there ever be a replacement for Galaxies?

I can't say I played it.  I haven't played an MMO since 2001 (EverCrack).  And even then I didn't play a lot.  Mostly watched others play.

I know why Galaxies failed.  There is only so much "run around and be where the movies took place" appeal.  And I remember going into GameStop in the mall and hearing the nerd behind the count sympathizing with an nerd customer about "being a smuggler that doesn't actually SMUGGLE anything".  And of course there was the cousin that was way into until they "ruined" by watering it down. 

To me Galaxies was a flawed concept to begin with.  It was basically EverCrack Modded to be Star Warsie.  Maybe it was just the technical limitations of the time.  Or the limitations of the Devs.  And they failed to integrate space travel with the rest of the game.  Why in STAR WARS! should have been from day one.  You should be able to run up the ramp of you modified Stock Light Freighter ahead of a squad of Stormies and blast off with you load of Spice.  Not just walk around Mos Eisley gawking like the virtual tours you've been relegated to being.

Or if you don't want to do that, maybe you want to command that Stormtrooper Squad/Platoon? Or maybe command a fighter squadron?  A Star Destroyer?  Or maybe you want to do intel work?  Figure out who's who and what their PCs are up to.  Sneak into facilities with malicious intent.  Or maybe build secret bases.  Produce everything from blasters to Star Destroyers.  A mine complex.  Or go all Pirate and tried to steal and blow up anything and everything before someone drops the heavy end of that hammer on you.

And not a galaxy of a dozen Eye-Candy worlds.  But a galaxy of dozens and dozens of worlds, asteriod fields, moons and plantiods to hide you're hidden bases or to hunt down and destroy said bases.

And maybe you just want to be a civilian cargo hauler tried to earn a credit or two.  Or a CorSec office.  Maybe a Enforcer for a Hutt crimelord.  Or BE the Hutt Crimelord. 

Four "factions", Imperial, Rebel, Fringe or Civilian (with Republic/Seperatist and New Republic/Yuuzhan Vong for expansion pact time periods).

Five "occupations", Naval Officer, Army Officer, Fighter Pilot, Intel Agent or Administrater.

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
Re: Will there be a replacement for SW Galaxies?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 12:52:56 AM »
Yes, it's called The Old Republic. Where have you been?

Offline slash78

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 01:54:03 PM »
I doubt it will attract that many players.  Only the Galaxies Dead-Enders and KOTOR Fanboys.

I still think a RPG-flavored game that's the cross between a RTS game on a grand scale and a varies forms of sims where you play you're small part.

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 07:25:14 PM »
Why wouldn't it attract many players? Just because it doesn't fit your idea of what a perfect SW MMOG should be? Galaxy was a fucking terrible game, and it was what, the second or third most popular MMORPG ever?
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline slash78

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 01:29:13 PM »
Galaxies was terrible but it had Star Wars Appeal.

When it came out there Star Wars was very alive and well.  NJO was in full swing.  The original CW cartoon was on and a lot of people were excited about the upcoming Ep. III. 

Now what is there?  A CGI cartoon of the Clone Wars that the games are in no way related, a Live Action TV series that may or may not happen.  And books coming that that are only related to the Old Republic because both say "Star Wars" on the cover. 

Yes, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away SW Galaxies was popular.  Because it was kind of a open ended, do-your-own-thing, go-see-movie-sets kind of game.  And the charm wore off eventually.

Old Republic is less Star Warsie.  There is less raw interest in Star Wars right now.  And much of what there is seems to be tied into the Clone Wars and "Fate of the Jedi".  The game mechanics might be way ahead of Galaxies, but the very limiting Story-Based aspect will kill it from many would-be players.  Yeah, everyone will get a ship, but tunneled combat sequences?  Really?  What is this, Star Fox?

What will make or break it is how many buy it and play it the first six months.  The enormous downside to a strict Story-Based RPG is that the Devs have to come up with new content.  And to keep Devs on the payroll costs money.  And the another downside is that people will always be able to "flip to the last page" after others go through the quests which makes following a storyline meaningless.

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 03:40:04 PM »
I doubt it will attract that many players.  Only the Galaxies Dead-Enders and KOTOR Fanboys.

I still think a RPG-flavored game that's the cross between a RTS game on a grand scale and a varies forms of sims where you play you're small part.

Are you on crack? It's one of the most anticipated games out there.

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 08:00:04 AM »

Seriously. The Old Republic might be the game that breaks my long standing ban on MMORPG's.
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 08:03:20 AM »

Seriously. The Old Republic might be the game that breaks my long standing ban on MMORPG's.

It may break my long standing hatred of Star Wars games
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 10:49:23 AM »
If you say you hate KotOR I WILL KILL YOU IN THE FACE.
~~~~~~~~

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 11:44:21 AM »
It was the last Star Wars game I liked. In fact it was the only Star Wars game I have ever liked.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 02:25:44 PM »
Then we have no quarre-WHAT ABOUT ROGUE SQUADRON!?
~~~~~~~~

Offline Greg

• Lord of Lava Lamp
  • Eminent Member
  • Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 02:42:22 PM »
Or Republic Commando?

Not that the majority of Star Wars games aren't god-awful, but there are a few decent ones out there.

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 02:45:06 PM »
Eh, Republic Commando wasn't anything to write home about. It was a Halo/Other Generic FPS wannabe with a Star Wars license slapped on it. I like my Star Wars games to, at the very least, explore and enrich the Star Wars universe, not be "OH HAY LOOK IT'S AN FPS AND YOU SHOOT GENOSIANS!" Plus, it was set during the Prequel era, which I've repeatedly tried to forget ever existed.
~~~~~~~~

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 03:53:01 PM »
It was the last Star Wars game I liked. In fact it was the only Star Wars game I have ever liked.

TIE FIGHTER
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 03:55:36 PM by Stoo »

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 04:04:40 PM »
Rouge Squadron...on the N64.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 10:35:49 PM »
Rogue Squandron was ok. But I got bored with it in a couple of days. Of course at the time I was playing other games, like MechWarrior 3 and Star Fox 64.

I picked up Force Unleashed when it was released. Played it for a couple of days, then traded it in and paid off my Fable II pre-order.

Offline slash78

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 01:57:29 PM »
TIE Fighter (Collector's Ed) and Dark Forces where anything but awful.  I also enjoyed X-Wing: Alliance. 

Though I will except the fact that I'm probably one of the three people who actually ENJOYED Star Wars: Rebellion.