Author Topic: Top 20 Essential Science Fiction Shows  (Read 2905 times)

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
Top 20 Essential Science Fiction Shows
« on: August 26, 2010, 10:09:14 PM »
Io9 has compiled a list of the top 20 essential science fiction TV shows.  Check it out and see if you agree or disagree and let us all know of course.

If you disagree, then what would be on your list of top 20 essential shows.

I think there list is pretty decent and it's nice to see Trek take up three spots.  I was surprised to see Fringe on their list, not that it's not deserving, but more so I guess because it's still on the air so it's 'importance' to the genre as a whole can't be entirely decided yet.  I'd probably switch out Fringe for Lost.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
Re: Top 20 Essential Science Fiction Shows
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 01:18:40 AM »
So is the first show on the list number 1 or number 20 or are they in no specific order?  I more or less agree with it, though I can't speak for everything as I've never watched half the shows on that list.  I'd put DS9 above TNG but that's more a personal preference than an accurate comparison on how much the two shows contributed to science fiction in general (I like DS9 more but TNG did make Trek popular again and paved the way for DS9 to be made). :-\
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline caisson2delta

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 06:18:09 PM »
Max Headroom, the Tick, and Futurama? Are they serious? I don't even see how they could make a list such as this. I think the Outer Limits (newer ones) could easily replace any of them. How about Quantum Leap? I've never been overly partial to cartoons, but there are few better ones than the crap they listed.

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 11:59:23 PM »
I'm going to go with Delta, what with the show that jokes about other sci-fi is hardly 'essential'.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 12:45:08 PM »
The Tick, really?  Futurama I can see, but The Tick?

That slot should have gone to The Outer Limits.

Offline Shik

• There's a million things I haven't done
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 05:32:18 PM »
The Tick is fucking AWESOME. But it's not science fiction. If anything, it's absurdist satire.

Ghost In The Shell? Enjoyed the manga, saw the movie. Past that...

The Prisoner is also NOT SCI-FI. Mindfucking ≠ science fiction.

Fringe looked stupid. Glad I never watched it.

Max Headroom belongs, if only because it should a wonderful dystopian future that is partially here already. (Where are my blipverts?)

As much as I enjoy Futurama when I see it, it's hardly "influential"...unless one defines "influential" as "incorporating as many obscure references to geek culture as possible".

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 05:47:14 PM »
Interesting that Star Trek takes up no less than 3 slots. Not that I mind, of course, I just find it interesting.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing