Author Topic: $$$SGU "Aftermath" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)$$$  (Read 2692 times)

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
$$$SGU "Aftermath" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)$$$
« on: October 06, 2010, 10:26:55 PM »
Rush unlocks the master code and accessed the Bridge.  They dropped some of the Lucian Alliance guys on a planet and kept a few on board.  The Lucian Alliance might be planning an attack on Earth.  They lost the shuttle, and Reily died.  :(

Either Rush is loosing it and halucinating, an Ancient responsible for creating Destiny is talking to him, the Destiny itself is trying to talk to him, or Franklin ascended and was chatting with him (although, why would he assume the form of Rush's wife?).
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 10:49:24 PM by TNC »
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
Re: $$$SGU "Aftermath" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)$$$
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 12:25:16 AM »
My first thoughts upon seeing Young snuff out Riley....GOD DAMN this show is harsh.  Good follow up episode and the Destiny's bridge is awesome.  Now I mentioned this back in "Air" but where was the background involving the 9th chevron.  Now as it turns out there are myths and legends regarding it that are known throughout the milky way!?  The Lucien alliance would be nuts to attack Earth forget the 5 starships armed with asgard technology assuming Atlantis is still on Earth at this time its damn near suicide.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 03:21:43 AM »
The legends might not have been throughout the Milky Way, maybe just on a few worlds and at least one of those worlds was taken by the Alliance.  I'm not entirely sure but I think there might have been a very brief mention in "Air" about the 9th Chevron having some significance.  Maybe in the Jackson info videos?  :-\

Oh well he just says something about "near mythical 9th Chevron address".  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcdQRvpPcT4  He say's it at about 0:58.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 06:20:56 AM »
^^^Yeah I remember that but I was hoping for more exposition on it.  I know there was some theorsing that the "Clara thesara Infinitis" (from SG1's 10th season) had something to do with Destiny and the 9th chevron.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 09:09:39 PM »
Razor's right, this show doesn't pull any punches...

Two things I consider to be of note that may be cause for concern later.

Young: His near attempt to kill that Alliance member... Beating the guy off to stop him is one thing, nearly killing him after he got him pinned and helpless... Well, let's just say I'm glad he caught himself.

Rush: Is he loosing it or were they something else? I don't know, but this isn't the first time we've seen a character go through something like this. Granted the last 2 times the characters in question were in more immediate danger than he was, so I'm on the fence. The 'projection' (for lack of a better word) of his wife was right, though, he should have said something to somebody about what he's found as soon as he had the chance.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 09:19:48 PM »
I was tempted to start off with my usual "Another solid/pretty good episode", but it seemed pretty pointless.  SGU's 'Battlegate: Voyager' days seem to be long gone.

Regarding the Lucian Alliance vs Earth ships, the way they stood up to the Hammond in "Air" seems to imply the Lucian Alliance somehow found magic special sauce to make Ha'taks a lot more potent, which is somewhat absurd given that the Earth ships have directly installed Asgard components and were able to handle Ori ships with a modicum of ease by the end of SG-1.  But still, it seems TPTB want the playing field to be level, so the invasion has to be taken as a real threat.  Atlantis is an interesting wrinkle though.

I'm finding the portrayal of the Lucian Alliance weirdly incoherent.  I like the fact that they're smart, and we have a human subculture that's not comparatively primitive technologically compared to Earth, which has been a relatively rare occurrence throughout SG1 and SGA.  At the same time, they seem to have a real kind of gangster ethic, particularly in SG1 and continued here with the 'they told me they'd kill my family if I didn't join', and we've seen infighting, yet we're supposed to take them seriously as an invasion force and it's supposed to be plausible that they can function as a single, powerful entity?  It makes sense that they could rival the IOA/Stargate Command forces, given that such a small slice of Earth's military prowess and economy is devoted to the Stargate space programs, but it still seems a bit of a stretch that the Lucians would be able to rise to that level in the first place given the way they've been portrayed.

The bridge was indeed pretty awesome.  Could there be any significance to the fact that Rush is only seeing these visions in the bridge, and not out and about in the rest of the ship?

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 10:14:49 PM »
I'm more inclined to believe that Rush was hallucinating, as compared to what TJ went through in the previous episode.  That being said, if it turns out the hallucinations were in fact some sort of alien interference, it wouldn't be much of a stretch. Rush is clearly in the wrong in regards to keeping his access to the bridge and control of the ship a secret.  It's incredibly lucky the entire 'away team' didn't meet the same fate as Riley...which brings me to what was perhaps one of the most disturbing deaths I've seen in Stargate ever.  

Seeing Young go from nearly beating a man to death to smothering Riley....it says a lot about Young, not all of it good.  Perhaps none of it good, aside from the fact he cares deeply for those under his command, but we've seen that already in numerous occasions. This was something else, at first almost bordering on cowardice I thought because he wanted to run and get TJ and wouldn't give Riley his gun.  It's understandable, what Riley was asking couldn't be easier for anyone, and when he decided to stay, I thought perhaps he might actually just shoot him off camera or even just stay with him until he died naturally.

It turned into something else though I think.  Say what you will about the ethical issues of his actions, Rileys blank eyes looking up at him after he was done, was disturbingly haunting and if his actions here don't carry some repercussions, then Young is more the ruthless thug who beat a man nearly to death, then the caring commanding officer who eased the suffering of one of his men.

I'm beginning to think that we haven't yet seen Young really go off.  Sure he's been pushed to his limits and he's even crossed the line a few times, but he's either always recovered or known afterwards that he went too far.  I suspect that at some point, everything he has done since arriving on Destiny is going to catch up to him and when that happens, he's going to lose his cool on a scale we've not yet seen, perhaps to the point where he never recovers, and much to the detriment of himself and those around him.

And if anyone had any hope SGU was ever going to move more towards SG-1 or Atlantis, then this episode certainly provides a definitive answer.  So as the saying goes, this ain't your daddy's Stargate.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 10:20:48 PM by Jimi James »
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.