Poll

What is the greatest scifi finale of all time?

Babylon 5
2 (14.3%)
Battlestar Galactica
5 (35.7%)
The X-Files
0 (0%)
Lost
1 (7.1%)
Space Above & Beyond
1 (7.1%)
Star trek: The Next Generation
5 (35.7%)
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
0 (0%)
Star Trek: Voyager
0 (0%)
Stargate SG-1
0 (0%)
Stargate Atlantis
0 (0%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: What is the greatest scifi finale of all time?  (Read 6361 times)

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
What is the greatest scifi finale of all time?
« on: October 18, 2010, 09:38:46 AM »
Saw this on another site and thought it might be a worthy discussion.  Let us know how you voted and why, particularly if you vote 'Other.'
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
Re: What is the greatest scifi finale of all time?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 09:46:40 AM »
I have to say TNG. It was well written, well acted, and well directed. Focusing on Picard, and making the story unfold around him nicely streamlined the whole episode. The last scene with Picard joining the poker game, then showing the Enterprise going on it way was a great way to end the series.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 09:50:32 AM »
I went with BSG because.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Juvat

• Prolific Member
  • USAF Weapons Instructor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 10:36:44 AM »
B5 is my personal favorite followed by BSG and DS9 tied for second.  TNG was great, but I wouldn't call it epic, which was what the thread on scifi meshes was asking, because it wasn't really meant to be.
"In God We Trust"

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 11:01:21 AM »
I went with TNG, largely for still going with the overall feel of the series. And, in my opinion, neither S:AAB or SG-1 has well and truly had their respective finales. S:AAB got left off on a massive cliffhanger, and although the SG-1 series is over, it's clear, via the movies, that the gang is staying busy, to say nothing of their parts in the followup series.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 11:44:48 AM »
I didn't see the TNG finale until sometime later, so it doesn't rank as a significant finale because it wasn't really an end to the series for me.  It was just another set of episodes.  I already knew the series was over and done with long before I saw it, so the AGT didn't really have the same impact of being the finale.  Plus with Generations following not long after, it wasn't really over.

DS9 ranks high on my list, simply because of the epic magnitude of the story they tried to tell.  Some of it might not have been delivered as well as it could have been, but they get points for devoting a whole arc of episodes in an attempt to tie things up.  And much like TNG, it wasn't really over either.  There was things left open so that the series could continue, in this case in the form of what are arguably some of the best trek novels of the entire lot...at least up until Unity, which served as a sort of finale for 'season 8'.

Lost was satisfying on an emotional level.  I don't really have anything else to say about it.

BSG answered all the questions I had to my satisfaction and it stands as one of the few shows that I'm satisfied with the ending to the point that I don't need or want to see anymore.  With most anything else, they could pick up the story where it left off and I wouldn't really have a problem with it.  

Babylon 5 also ranks high on my list, much in the same way as DS9, simply because what they were doing was so different then what everyone else was doing.  The series finale was one of the most emotionally heavy episodes of the entire series, perhaps manipulatively so, to the point it was some time before I could watch it without tearing up.

In the end, I voted for BSG because of Starbuck....not really.  As I mentioned before, it was thoroughly satisfying on a number of levels, to the point that I don't feel the need there to be any sort of continuation.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 11:59:45 AM by Jimi James »
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 02:43:06 PM »
For me it was a toss up between "All Good Things..." and the BSG finale.  In the end I went with BSG, mostly because of the reasons Jimi mentioned, it wrapped up the series.  Plus it finally gave a happy ending to the series considering all the crap the characters went through.  The DS9 finale was better at wrapping things up than AGT but IMO AGT was a slightly better episode so that's why I'd put it at No. 2.  The BSG finale though is the only show finale that I can remember that really gives a feeling that the story is over.  Everything else I can think of is open ended.  Sure you can make more BSG, like "The Plan" was or during the year the Cylons occupied New Caprica but it would be completely superfluous.  (I'd probably still watch it though.)  The only other thing I can think of like that Metal Gear Solid 4.  (I wraps up everything from the other games, sure they are making prequels in the form of MGS: Rising and the PSP one but those don't involve Snake, his story is over.)

I hardly even remember the B5 finale. The X-Files finale was crap, half of it was a damn clip show.  The only good part was when the Cigarette Smoking Man got killed by the rocket attack near the end.  Voyager's finale wrapped up the show and got them home but wasn't as good as the DS9 finale (but at least it didn't use as much stock footage).  The SG-1 and Atlantis finales were "meh" episodes, plus they weren't really finales at all since they're both getting continued with movies and the "Ark of Truth" served as the finale to the Ori arc.  And the Atlantis finale was just a season finale that became a series finale because the show got canceled (kinda like TOS: "Turnabout Intruder" but with less sucking).  Never watched Lost or Space: Above and Beyond so I can't really comment about them.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 02:47:19 PM by TNC »
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 05:00:35 PM »
Enterprise!  *dodges tomatoes*

Although it occasionally reached high levels of WTF, the BSG finale was so climactic it's hard to overlook.  DS9 and TNG were also very solid.

If SG-1 had ended, as planned, with "Lost City", that would have probably been my favourite.  It may not stack up to BSG, etc. in heavy themes and emotional resonance, but it was epic and fun as hell.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 05:59:17 PM »
I definitely agree with you about Lost City and wish to this day that they had stuck to their original plan to end the series there.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 11:23:00 PM »
"All Good Things" of course.

I definitely agree with you about Lost City and wish to this day that they had stuck to their original plan to end the series there.

I would have prefered if they had made it the feature film.  It would have been cool to see Anubis' fleet taking out a carrier group and see Atlantis take off on the big screen.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 05:27:16 AM »
I want to say BSG but then I remember the bit where they decide to abandon what's left of working society and technology to go scatter themselves around the world. And live in mud huts and forage for berries or something.

Maybe Deep Space nine or TNG then. I can't remember how B5 ends as I try and pretend nothing happpened after season 4.

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 11:39:53 AM »
Enterprise!  *dodges tomatoes*

Although it occasionally reached high levels of WTF, the BSG finale was so climactic it's hard to overlook.  DS9 and TNG were also very solid.

WORD. In terms of epic-itude, BSG is the best, bar none. DS9 is a close second, but it lacks the "WTF OH WAIT THIS IS AWESOME BUT NONSENSICAL!" level that BSG does. TNG was just a winding down. It had some exciting bits, but they weren't crashing the Enterprise into a black hole and blind jumping into Earth's past, 'cause God did it. The ending poker game does sometimes choke me up, but only if I'm drunk and I've been listening to a lot of Connor Oberst.
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 02:26:11 PM »
The ending poker game does sometimes choke me up, but only if I'm drunk and I've been listening to a lot of Connor Oberst.

Soooo...this is like a daily event then?

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 02:27:28 PM »
The drunk yes, Oberst, not so much. Daft's friends only let him have that CD every other month.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 03:32:20 PM »
Yeah, they had an intervention when I was stomping around the flat wailing out "At the Bottom of Everything". It was twice a month, but then I kept telling people I met that it was the first day of my life, and so now it's down to once a month.
~~~~~~~~

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 05:30:59 PM »
If it was anything like the wailing I heard from you over XBox Live, I completely understand.

New Haven Chronicles

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 05:45:13 PM »

I do not own a microphone. Clearly someone is out to slander my awesome signing abilities.
~~~~~~~~

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2010, 03:08:49 AM »
Re the BSG ending, I'm also not sure how okay I am with the whole Kara situation. I get that a slowly-revealed core tenet of the show was that somehow god was watching over them, but ultimately it felt like RDM's lack of forward planning finally catching up with him. She's back! She's not a cylon! Hey look Lee chasing a pigeon. She's gone!

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 02:29:07 PM »
~~~~~~~~

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 04:20:26 PM »
I can't really remember much of the BSG finale, but Kara's "I came back so I could lead us to Earth except not whatever STFU this is actually deep no seriously you're just not figuring it out I'm sure it's as philosophically fulfilling of the rest of the show so don't worry about it let's move on to the next scene actually" and the "watch out for robots, kids!" montage with the Gaius-Six angels thing at the end were just a little too ugh/WTF, and as you said, I think RDM just outran his own storylines with Starbuck.

Offline Rick King AIFD

• Veteran Member
  • official what-iffer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2010, 04:33:59 PM »
Taking films and movies as well as TV series into account, for me, the most epic, best ending was the end of Nemesis. We have picard and B4 sitting there with Picard trying to explain Data's life.......and B4 picks up an object.....and then slowly starts singing the Irving Berlin sung by Data at the beginning of the film.

Other than that, when Vader gets some balls and tosses the wrinkly prune of his master over the railing.
........If I have failed, then I have failed while daring greatly, henceforth my place shall never be found amoung those timid souls who know not the thrill of victory or bitter defeat....