Author Topic: $$$SGU "Pathogen" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)$$$  (Read 3450 times)

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
$$$SGU "Pathogen" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)$$$
« on: October 23, 2010, 07:50:30 AM »
This episode was so competent and unremarkable it didn't even warrant a thread.

This was...okay.  Chloe is embued with the Phoenix Force or something.  There was a brief montage sans the usual "LIFE IS HARD IN SPPPPACCCCCE AND I LOVE PEOPLE BUT MY HEART IS BREAKKING IN SPPPPPACCCCCCE!  I AM SO ALONE BUT I WILL GET THROUGH ANOTHER DAY-AY-AYYYYYYY!" music.

I liked Wray and Eli developing more of a relationship, and I think it would be a good development for her character, who doesn't really interact much with anyone other than Young (and that was more in the first season) and Rush.  I thought David Blue did a pretty good job as Eli here and felt convincing in his conversations with his mother.

I'm hoping the "secret bridge" angle doesn't go on for too too long.  You would think someone as intelligent as Rush would get over his ego and realize that, practically, it's not for the greater good to be keeping this to himself.

Any revised bets on Rush's wife/Franklin?  Delusions?  Is Franklin really Franklin?

Outside the storylines, SGU's ratings are a concern.  While it was never a smash success, live viewership has dipped below 1 million in the US for the first time in the franchise's history, and Pathogen plunged compared to last week.  Sounds like the Tuesday night American timeslot is killing the show there.  It's starting to look increasingly like there may be no season 3, which would be a bummer considering the show has found its legs. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 07:57:25 AM by Broken Subspace Scene »

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
Re: $$$SGU "Pathogen" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)$$$
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 08:16:40 AM »
I'm hoping the "secret bridge" angle doesn't go on for too too long.  You would think someone as intelligent as Rush would get over his ego and realize that, practically, it's not for the greater good to be keeping this to himself.

Not to be too spoilery, but according to what I've read on the SGwiki the bridge won't be secret for much longer (like two or three more episodes)...

Anyway the episode was good.  I'm glad they let Eli's mom come to the ship, since I was saying they should do that since Eli first tried to tell her it was him.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 02:39:52 PM »
THANKS, MR. SPOILERS MCGEE.

It makes sense that the revelation happens then, because David Blue said on twitter that eps 6-8 or so are more awesome than usual, and generally he doesn't go overboard with saying every ep is the best, etc.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 08:29:59 PM »
A descent episode nothing to write home about the best was the stuff with Eli's mom.  I clapped when they brought her to Destiny via the stones.  I was wondering if they were gonna put Chloe in the chair.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 09:19:16 PM »
I thought it was a good character building episode, not exactly filler, but not driving the plot forward as much as the previous few episodes.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 12:24:11 AM »
^^^There were some complaints that it would be another boring stone episode but this was heads and tails above those early episodes from last season.  I would think its mostly because Eli trying to help his dying mother is far more interesting than Young and Telford fighting over Ona Grauer.  See that was one thing I was worried they were going to do too much with SGU.  That was great for BSG but it seems rather forced on SGU.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 12:33:07 AM by Razor »
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 10:12:23 AM »
I've never had a problem with the use of the Stones as a way to bring people on the ship or take the story back to earth.  I think it's a rather clever idea to take the story off Destiny and without it, the people complaining about the stones would likely be complaining that they don't get off the ship enough.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 08:57:13 PM »
Yeah I was thinking the same thing.